ADVERTISEMENT

Officially Speaking...

Winn has been transitioning to play more of a 3 role and he doesn't have the same weight as last year.
Very true, but Wynn didn't look imposing last year either. He was always much shorter on the inside, but the kid simply out-hustled the bigger men. I see why the coaches compared him to Vince Hunter, and I agree with them when they said he's even more skilled

Agree. I'd bet there was actually some persuasion to perhaps look elsewhere. The kid could develop but he looked physically weak, and slow. Not d1 ready fo sho.

I think the issue is that we need more players with his size, even if he's just a body to use when other guys need rest or get in foul trouble. I say that because Wilmms will be questionable all year. He may not have time to get his conditioning up to par and his foot injury may still affect his time on the court

I think the issue is that we need more players with his size, even if he's just a body to use when other guys need rest or get in foul trouble. I say that because Wilmms will be questionable all year. He may not have time to get his conditioning up to par and his foot injury may still affect his time on the court

If Matt isn't in shape to play by October he never will be.

I agree with that to some extent. I'd rather play small ball, though, if a bigger guy isn't all that game-ready.

Winn has been transitioning to play more of a 3 role and he doesn't have the same weight as last year.
So, he's either an undersized 4 or an underskilled 3. That bodes well. If he's going to play the 3, I hope he starts making shots more than 5 feet from the hoop.

Last edited:
So, he's either an undersized 4 or an underskilled 3. That bodes well. If he's going to play the 3, I hope he start making shots more than 5 feet from the hoop.

He's been working on it. He'll be more of a hybrid 3-4 is my guess. Watching his form shooting FTs, it wasn't awful. Had room to improve but Winn has shown he is the kind of kid who isn't afraid to actually work.

If Matt isn't in shape to play by October he never will be.
He's young so that helps. I just imagine he's been taking it easy on the foot to an extent, and he hasn't been able to do cardio the past 1.5 years or so. It can take some time for a big man to get that conditioning back, but he's a hard worker so it can be done

Not when Tim Floyd is your head coach.
Exactly. That's the point. We're constantly in rebuild mode because half our recruits never make to campus, and we have little continuity from season to season. Silva might have ended up as the next Jon Bomba. Maybe he was going to be the next John Tofi. We'll never know now. But, to say he won't be missed simply because he wasn't going to play is a bit shortsighted.

Unless you were being sarcastic, then kudos.

Just my opinion

We all are well aware of the so called inadequacies of the bb program. We share some viewpoints, and many of us expand upon those with additional assessments. I've been vocal about the deficits this program seems to be unable to overcome...and for several years now. I try...try...try not to sound like a broken record. However, despite all the afore mentioned discontent, I am always ready for a new season to begin. As much as I try to temper my expectations, I usually fall short of doing so. This year is no different. If I judge the current year by what has happened in the past, even the recent past, then hope is all but suffocated. I see some promise in this team...especially the starting 5, and the first couple off of the bench. Maybe it's the orange colored lenses. So what? With that said, I am hopeful this is the year CTF can turn it around...not to vindicate himself but so that we can experience a taste of the 80s, early 90s, 04-05 and 2010...just a taste even.

Just my opinion

We all are well aware of the so called inadequacies of the bb program. We share some viewpoints, and many of us expand upon those with additional assessments. I've been vocal about the deficits this program seems to be unable to overcome...and for several years now. I try...try...try not to sound like a broken record. However, despite all the afore mentioned discontent, I am always ready for a new season to begin. As much as I try to temper my expectations, I usually fall short of doing so. This year is no different. If I judge the current year by what has happened in the past, even the recent past, then hope is all but suffocated. I see some promise in this team...especially the starting 5, and the first couple off of the bench. Maybe it's the orange colored lenses. So what? With that said, I am hopeful this is the year CTF can turn it around...not to vindicate himself but so that we can experience a taste of the 80s, early 90s, 04-05 and 2010...just a taste even.
Probably preaching to choir here, but....... Despite my posts in this thread and elsewhere, I too have felt the impulse to look on the bright side for the upcoming season. But I've decided that I'm not falling for it again. CTF is going to have to prove it at some point. The main issue I see this year is that we're going to have to make up 40-45 points (what we lost in Moore, Morris, Vint, and Caldwell) somewhere this year. That means that someone like Flaggert, Touchet, or the freshmen is going to have to show marked improvement. I don't care what he's done elsewhere. In the 7 years he's been here, only one player (Lang) has shown consistent improvement from day 1. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Probably preaching to choir here, but....... Despite my posts in this thread and elsewhere, I too have felt the impulse to look on the bright side for the upcoming season. But I've decided that I'm not falling for it again. CTF is going to have to prove it at some point. The main issue I see this year is that we're going to have to make up 40-45 points (what we lost in Moore, Morris, Vint, and Caldwell) somewhere this year. That means that someone like Flaggert, Touchet, or the freshmen is going to have to show marked improvement. I don't care what he's done elsewhere. In the 7 years he's been here, only one player (Lang) has shown consistent improvement from day 1. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I'll believe it when I see it.

To the bolded point above. Don't get me wrong, I am not looking for a silver lining, or looking at any glass as half full. I'm not thinking positively or pumping sunshine. I'm just hopeful. I hope the Miners do well. It bites me in the ass year after year being hopeful, because dashed hope sucks. But it's the most truthful thing I can say in regards to Miner bb.

I'm not knocking anyone for the perspective/opinions they hold. All are warranted. That's why I started with "just my opinion". I get the frustration. I get the wait and see approach. I get the I'll believe it when I see it mentality. It's a safer way to approach the season. It spares being disappointed...or at least AS disappointed if the season ends like it has the last 6. Like I said, I have done more than my fair share of bitching and moaning. I hope I don't feel compelled to do as much this year, which would only be the result of increased success. Just my hope. You don't have to explain yourself man. I really do get it. I didn't post to make anyone feel like they have to defend a point of view. I did it to balance out my own little universe. I post my gripes. I post my hopes. And I'm glad there are people on this board who both agree and disagree with it all.

In the end, I think we all want the same thing...especially now that Chih, Epsi and Carlos have all taken a hike.:D

Just my opinion

You mention the starting five and first two off the bench. I'm curious who your starting five and first two off the bench are. In my opinion there are four sure starters...Artis, Harris, Winn and Willms. I expect instant impact from Jones backing up Willms and depending on how Willms does maybe even replacing him as a starter. Beyond that there's all of the new guards; one whom could be a starter or the possibility of Thomas or Flaggert at the 3. I would assume the backup point guard will be Touchet and then Barrett.
My reason for being optimistic for 2016 is that these new guys aren't carrying the "multi-star rating resumes" on their chests that some their predecessors did and hopefully won't have the prima donna attitudes that may have hindered better team play.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
You mention the starting five and first two off the bench. I'm curious who your starting five and first two off the bench are. In my opinion there are four sure starters...Artis, Harris, Winn and Willms. I expect instant impact from Jones backing up Willms and depending on how Willms does maybe even replacing him as a starter. Beyond that there's all of the new guards; one whom could be a starter or the possibility of Thomas or Flaggert at the 3. I would assume the backup point guard will be Touchet and then Barrett.
My reason for being optimistic for 2016 is that these new guys aren't carrying the "multi-star rating resumes" on their chests that some their predecessors did and hopefully won't have the prima donna attitudes that may have hindered better team play.

Agree. While not as highly rated of a class as last year, really hoping each guy can find their role and gel on the court.

Starters:
Artis
Omega
Winn
Paul Thomas
Willms/Jones

Subs:
Willms/Jones
Touchet

Explanations:
Based off of watching him last year, and just a hunch, I think we see huge improvement out of PT. Some may disagree, but he has major upside, especially offensively. Will be by far the most improved player is my bet, earning him a starting role.

While Touchet will never supply the flash, his bb IQ is high, with matching fundamentals and work ethic. When he finds his long range shot, and he will find it, his value will be evident. Definitely a sub I'm good with.

Not sure who will get the majority of starts between them which is why I put Willms and Jones in both categories. I have a suspicion that Jones will become the big we've been waiting for.

Reactions: miner1liner
Agree. While not as highly rated of a class as last year, really hoping each guy can find their role and gel on the court.

Starters:
Artis
Omega
Winn
Paul Thomas
Willms/Jones

Subs:
Willms/Jones
Touchet

Explanations:
Based off of watching him last year, and just a hunch, I think we see huge improvement out of PT. Some may disagree, but he has major upside, especially offensively. Will be by far the most improved player is my bet, earning him a starting role.

While Touchet will never supply the flash, his bb IQ is high, with matching fundamentals and work ethic. When he finds his long range shot, and he will find it, his value will be evident. Definitely a sub I'm good with.

Not sure who will get the majority of starts between them which is why I put Willms and Jones in both categories. I have a suspicion that Jones will become the big we've been waiting for.
Well defined Coog.
Agree on Touchet and hope you're right on Thomas. Our inside presence would be pretty nice with Willms, Jones, Winn and Thomas.
I'm expecting help from at least one or two of the newbies.

I am very concerned with the center position. Wilms is injury prone and when he does play he is a non factor out on the court. He doesn't bring much offensively and he is a below average rebounder due to his skinny frame and he plays very soft. I think Jones brings more to the table than Wilms because he will be a better rebounder. He is a big body and is very aggressive and isn't afraid to throw his weight around. But as a freshman, I think his aggressiveness is going to get him into early foul trouble. But he has the potential to be a beast as a freshman.

I think this years success will depend on Jones and his ability to rebound. Last years team was terrible at rebounding but at least we had the potential to score a lot of points. This year we don't have Moore and his scoring touch. If we can't rebound this year, then its going to be another average year. Nobody on this years roster will replace Moore's scoring ability.

I'm also in the "wait and see" camp. So much promise (I thought) when CTF was hired, but now it's like that girl you like but can't stand certain things she does and it just sets you off. So while each season is "different" , the helm is still being manned by the same brain trust, therefore I'm waiting to see what's up.But of course, I hope for the best.

On a side note I thought Thomas was listed at 6'8" - 6'9", he looks shorter than Winn?
Also relying on Wilms is tenuous at best.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT