ADVERTISEMENT

Once upon a time in the west

pay4dirt

All Star
Gold Member
Feb 21, 2007
There once was a time, all the old farts can remember the good old days, when I used to enjoy watching UTEP play basketball on tv. I would actually yell and cheer for the team. Now days, if I can stomach watching a game at all, I usually end up thinking, "Oh Jeez. Here we go again. The team will find a way to ef it up." I would like to see something like the old days again. But let's face it, Coach Haskins spoiled El Paso and UTEP. We're not likely to get someone like that again, unless we spend massive amounts of money on the program. No, basketball isn't a big revenue generator, but it does increase the prestige of the school. We've got to do something along that line. Just my two cents worth.

The man was a legend, but today people complain our games don't have enough flair. Coach Haskins would NEVER have gone for the video board intro, the drawn out player introductions, the theme nights or the constant music at every stoppage. Attending a game today is MUCH more fan friendly compared to the atmosphere before 1999.

A fan friendly atmosphere is a good thing. I'll take it. But it's no secret that a winning and competitive team is very fan friendly. That close game against ODU last year was exciting to watch, but the kind of team I want to root for would have won the close ones like that more often than not.

That ODU game was a really intense environment. Unfortunately our fans let the call affect them to where the threw beer and bottles on the court. The games under Coach Haskins were very "old school/just play the game" atmospheres. To this day we have fans who rarely stand and complain to security about those who do.

I'd like to some old traditions come back.

My favorite memory is "Thunder" playing for the player intros with the lights dimmed.

I saw an old video that showed students running up and down the student section steps during free throws.

Reactions: mikesarabia

My favorite memory is "Thunder" playing for the player intros with the lights dimmed.

I saw an old video that showed students running up and down the student section steps during free throws.

Thunderstruck. Not really an old tradition. That was about 10 years ago.

The student section is now non-existent. Mostly a few people with their noses in their phones. Even if they were there the new set-up makes running up and down near impossible

That ODU game was a really intense environment. Unfortunately our fans let the call affect them to where the threw beer and bottles on the court. The games under Coach Haskins were very "old school/just play the game" atmospheres. To this day we have fans who rarely stand and complain to security about those who do.

The idea that the games under Haskins had every sitting and being quiet just isn't accurate. I have never been in an arena that was louder than the Don Haskins Center was back in the 80s during our games against Georgetown, Ohio State, Alabama, Auburn, Wyoming, New Mexico, BYU, and some others. It would get deafening in there. While I agree that we have older fans who seem to want to sit down and quietly watch a game, you can't blame Haskins for that.

The students who did that we called the Miner Maniacs. They would dress in crazy gear and run down the stairs waving plastic swords. It must have been a strange sight for opposing players at the free throw line. The Miner Maniacs disbanded in the late 80s after all they all graduated.

I don't "blame" Coach Haskins. We've had some of the calmest fans for a long time now. By 1990 the "Miner Maniacs" were gone... and running up and down the stairs would probably result in complaints and ejection due to fire hazard. Moving the band didn't help either.

It's no secret that Coach Haskins disliked the flair and flash and preferred to just play. When we'd accompany the team to UNLV, Utah, Hawaii, etc we'd see the different intros and traditions and were always told we could not do that stuff back home. I read many posts here about our intro videos and promotions not being enough so I know we're in a different time where people want more.

there was an attempt to revive the miner Maniacs about 10 years ago. It was the same in name only. they wore shirts but mostly just sat around during the game

Years ago, they moved the student section and took away the center court front row tickets. They banned camping out for tickets on University property. These changes were the first steps in the wrong direction.

Years ago, they moved the student section and took away the center court front row tickets. They banned camping out for tickets on University property. These changes were the first steps in the wrong direction.

There is no need to camp out for tickets and students don't go to the games, and it has nothing to do with not having center court seats. Who camps out for tickets anyway anymore? You sit at your computer and pay the extra $20 so you don't have to physically go to the box office.

Reactions: El Paso 777
Back in the 80's and early 90's we didn't need entertainment the team was the
main attraction. People were laud standing up jumping when Marlon Maxie and Antonio Davis landed those bad ass dunks. Tim Hardaway drive thru with that crossover drible. McCall rejecting balls. We had a lot of players who would
step it up when needed on crucial games. I must add if got to see Jeep Jackson
play you could tell he was special.

I could add a lot more players but I am going to keep it simple.

Go Miners...

Like the '66 team, the 80's were a once in a lifetime era. I doubt they'll be back in my lifetime. I just want the team to be young and hungry. I don't want a coach whose dream job is UTEP. I want a coach whose dream job is Duke. I want a coach who can recruit and relate to today's athletes. Is that too much to ask?

And I want to hear the amen chant one last time.

There is no need to camp out for tickets and students don't go to the games, and it has nothing to do with not having center court seats. Who camps out for tickets anyway anymore? You sit at your computer and pay the extra $20 so you don't have to physically go to the box office.
Duke students do it for every home game. Its on a first come first serve basis for a smaller venue. Obviously that wouldn't happen at UTEP right now but it could if a lot of students wanted tickets.

Duke students do it for every home game. Its on a first come first serve basis for a smaller venue. Obviously that wouldn't happen at UTEP right now but it could if a lot of students wanted tickets.

Students and El Paso in general will always want tickets when 1) UTEP is winning and/or 2) a game is being played against an opponent that would be a huge upset if UTEP won.

That Arizona game in '14 was a Haskins Center classic.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Like the '66 team, the 80's were a once in a lifetime era. I doubt they'll be back in my lifetime. I just want the team to be young and hungry. I don't want a coach whose dream job is UTEP. I want a coach whose dream job is Duke. I want a coach who can recruit and relate to today's athletes. Is that too much to ask?

And I want to hear the amen chant one last time.

the Anen chant was banned about twenty years ago ; actually a little longer. apparently it offended someone

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT