ADVERTISEMENT

OT: College football is back

I agree. Did UTEP offer them? Did they consider UTEP? If they didn't consider UTEP was it maybe because we suck at football?
I would imagine that if they didn’t consider UTEP, it would solely be because we suck. Who knows, though?

Also, like NoWins alluded to, their skills are too good to be squandered playing for a team that struggles to compete, even against the bottom 20 teams in the nation. Add in the minimal exposure they’d receive in the national spotlight.

I bet the only consideration was the chance to play live in front of family and friends, but the weight of that against everything else probably barely tipped the scales.

UTEP did offer both by the way.

Seems like there are more and more players going to D1 schools every year. Happy for these going to P5 schools

UTEP shouldn’t even be on your mind when Nick Saban gives you an offer in your Junior year in HS.
That’s right. You can always come back as junior or senior if you want more playing time. I could be wrong, but I assume most of these big time high school players have no roots in El Paso. Just a place where they lived for a few years.

Coach Dimel says the Miners are capable of beating any opponent on the schedule this season. I hope he's right. Bowl game!

UTSA #5? Seriously? Above UH, Tech and Baylor? They needed OT to beat Texas State, only decisive victories were against UTEP and Rice (Oh, boy!), UAB took them behind the wood shed, but hey! There was a competitive game against BYU! Now we all know UTSA counts Horseshoes games like that as a win, but #5?!

Who made these ratings, OU gurus?

Reactions: utep-piggy
UTSA #5? Seriously? Above UH, Tech and Baylor? They needed OT to beat Texas State, only decisive victories were against UTEP and Rice (Oh, boy!), UAB took them behind the wood shed, but hey! There was a competitive game against BYU! Now we all know UTSA counts Horseshoes games like that as a win, but #5?!

Who made these ratings, OU gurus?
Thought the exact same thing. No way utsa is ahead of Baylor, TT and Houston. They are way overrated.

Relinquish control of your offense Coach Dimel and I’ll believe you.
UTEP, right here in our back yard, has a rb corp that even some P5 schools would really like to have. A bonafide three headed monster (Hankins, Wadley & Awatt) and two of them can leave a middle LB on his backside. National media outlets are saying that UTEP receiving corp actually should be effective this year and some have them as tops CUSA. I like Hardison and his shotgun arm. He just doesn't need to put so much pepper on it for the dinks and dunks.

Sorry, gotta say it again…I don’t like the direction this is going.

F*#+ing professional college sports is what this seems like it’s gonna morph into.
I think the next two years players will be collecting a ton of money. After that it will slow down as companies will realize it’s not worth the investment. There will always be supporters who throw money to these kids just to make themselves fell part ot the team.

I think the next two years players will be collecting a ton of money. After that it will slow down as companies will realize it’s not worth the investment. There will always be supporters who throw money to these kids just to make themselves fell part ot the team.
That’s the problem. aTm, UT, Bama, etc, have boosters that are absolutely loaded. Those boosters have connections to others who have deep pockets. If a kid is getting 10K for a damn interview, I can’t imagine this will fade away any time soon. In fact I think more and more “loop holes” will be discovered as ways to get money in the wallets of high profile collegiate athletes. This problem will only be exacerbated for the next while until a more strict set of rules and regulations is implemented. Just my expectations of what’s to come.

Personally, I think it’s going to be a clusterf—k. I believe the courts and the NCAA have no clue what they have created. Hope all these athletes realize that when this kind of money starts coming in so do a lot of responsibilities and problems.
Hope the mob or criminals don’t get their teeth into some kid or team and start fixing games.
Like the saying goes money corrupts.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
That’s the problem. aTm, UT, Bama, etc, have boosters that are absolutely loaded. Those boosters have connections to others who have deep pockets. If a kid is getting 10K for a damn interview, I can’t imagine this will fade away any time soon. In fact I think more and more “loop holes” will be discovered as ways to get money in the wallets of high profile collegiate athletes. This problem will only be exacerbated for the next while until a more strict set of rules and regulations is implemented. Just my expectations of what’s to come.

It would bound to happen sooner or later and I'm surprised it took this long. The "haves" will have much more now and the "have nots" will have less. It works for the bigs and that suits the NCAA just fine.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
It would bound to happen sooner or later and I'm surprised it took this long. The "haves" will have much more now and the "have nots" will have less. It works for the bigs and that suits the NCAA just fine.
You’re right, TxRdKiller.

I have been vocal on here about how I think college athletes should be compensated to a greater extent than they have been. I was just hoping the disproportion wasn’t going to be as drastic as it is showing to be early on.

I mean, 10k for a single interview? 2 mil before ever playing a game on East Tennessee’s campus?

Oh well. Whatcha gon do? Just a little disheartening because I love me some college sports and the complexion is about to change in a big way, I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: TxRdKiller
All this was do to athletes being exploited for profit, nothing has changed they will still be exploited (albeit with a little more pocket change), not by just university programs but now by bastards of a 100 different kinds. Big time money always attracts big time crooks.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Since the NCAA is looking at taking a step back from policing schools. I think it would be a good time for some restructuring. All the schools that are wanting to compete in the arms race should form their own organization and everyone could stay under the NCAA.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT