ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Colorado leaving the PAC 12

I’m asking you to guess those 9 and then see how those 9 would remain an autonomous conference. Which you claim they will remain.
+ Stanford, Berkeley, WSU, OSU, plus whatever teams they decide to poach from the AAC. We know SMU's game, and Memphis might be willing to join an autonomous conference, too.

+ Stanford, Berkeley, WSU, OSU, plus whatever teams they decide to poach from the AAC. We know SMU's game, and Memphis might be willing to join an autonomous conference, too.
So none from the MWC? If this were a viable and desired option, why is Stanford, Cal, and SMU begging to get into the ACC? Literally trying to give up millions for several years, just to not be in a rebuilt Pac 12.

That doesn’t make sense to me. Why would they give up on the P12? Does it make sense to you?

Hell no. I love UTEP but the only way they move up the conference ranks would be as a last resort by a conference to replenish their ranks which probably means that conference is in deep trouble.
Right on. UTEP will be added to a conference only if that conference was in a situation like CUSA was when they added NMSU, Liberty, SHSU, and JSU.

So none from the MWC? If this were a viable and desired option, why is Stanford, Cal, and SMU begging to get into the ACC? Literally trying to give up millions for several years, just to not be in a rebuilt Pac 12.

That doesn’t make sense to me. Why would they give up on the P12? Does it make sense to you?
Obviously this isn't the optimal option for the four teams left in the PAC-12, but the terms that the ACC is offering Stanford, Berkeley, and SMU are so rotten that I think it would be preferable to explore rebuilding the PAC 12. Otherwise, if the ACC wants Stanford and Berkeley so badly, they can offer them better terms.

The 4 PAC 12 teams, plus SMU and Memphis from the AAC, plus Boise St., SDSU, and Fresno State from the MWC seems like a solid basis for a conference. The problem is that, other than SDSU, the other MWC teams won't leave because of the high exit fees. So they would have to take 9 teams so the conference would dissolve and they would avoid the exit fees. But Air Force consistently fields good football teams and Nevada has been consistently solid in recent years in both basketball and football (despite a down year in 2022). The remaining four could be chosen based on commitment to upgrade their facilities.

Obviously this isn't the optimal option for the four teams left in the PAC-12, but the terms that the ACC is offering Stanford, Berkeley, and SMU are so rotten that I think it would be preferable to explore rebuilding the PAC 12. Otherwise, if the ACC wants Stanford and Berkeley so badly, they can offer them better terms.

The 4 PAC 12 teams, plus SMU and Memphis from the AAC, plus Boise St., SDSU, and Fresno State from the MWC seems like a solid basis for a conference. The problem is that, other than SDSU, the other MWC teams won't leave because of the high exit fees. So they would have to take 9 teams so the conference would dissolve and they would avoid the exit fees. But Air Force consistently fields good football teams and Nevada has been consistently solid in recent years in both basketball and football (despite a down year in 2022). The remaining four could be chosen based on commitment to upgrade their facilities.
Is it even really an option though? Stanford and Cal would associate with Boise St? A former junior college who offered trucking degrees or still does?

That’s why they’re desperately trying to join the ACC.

Reactions: utep-piggy
Is it even really an option though? Stanford and Cal would associate with Boise St? A former junior college who offered trucking degrees or still does?

That’s why they’re desperately trying to join the ACC.
Good questions. Without a doubt, Stanford and Cal are better fits academically with the ACC, and it would let Standford maintain their football rivalry with Notre Dame.

Good questions. Without a doubt, Stanford and Cal are better fits academically with the ACC, and it would let Standford maintain their football rivalry with Notre Dame.
That’s why the Pac 12 is close to dying. As soon as Stanford and Cal leave (maybe), it’s a wrap. I could see the Pac 12 carrying on as an olympic sport only conference, but who is going to join that?

I guess I root for the AAC to win the competition and then add some MWC teams for a western flank.
Not sure if that favors Utep whatsoever. If AAC were to take Wash. St and Oregon St. and Stanford and Cal end up in ACC wouldn't MWC just stay out where they're at? 🤔

Not sure if that favors Utep whatsoever. If AAC were to take Wash. St and Oregon St. and Stanford and Cal end up in ACC wouldn't MWC just stay out where they're at? 🤔
The MWC would hope so. If the AAC gets WSU and OSU, they would probably try to lure some MWC teams to “bridge” the geographical gap. If you’re UNLV and the AAC says they have more money and these Pac 12 teams, you certainly consider it.

The MWC not getting OSU and WSU is bad for them.

AAC would have to add some western teams to help with travel. Espn would have to throw some money out, but maybe they could attract some MWC teams to come over.

Reactions: nattybry
AAC would have to add some western teams to help with travel. Espn would have to throw some money out, but maybe they could attract some MWC teams to come over.
Crazy question but worth throwing out there. If the exit fees are too much for most schools to leave the MWC, which schools are next in line? Does UTEP then become an option for the AAC?

As they say in Dumb and Dumber, so you're saying there's a chance?

How long before the Feds step in and put an end to the madness, aka the throwing around money to tax exempt institutions?

American is at 14. If they lure in OSU and WSU that puts them at 16. I understand wanting a western flank and sending an invite to BSU and SDSU.

Still it seems like these big spread out conferences only work for the Power conferences where money isn’t really an issue.

What kind of tv contract does an AAC18 get? I think it’s stays around the same 8-10 million a year. We have to remember the AAC got that deal when UCF, UH, and Cinci were in the league. I don’t know what kind of value their replacements will get once it’s time to renew.

Imo the most logical thing is for the pac2 to join the MW.

American is at 14. If they lure in OSU and WSU that puts them at 16. I understand wanting a western flank and sending an invite to BSU and SDSU.

Still it seems like these big spread out conferences only work for the Power conferences where money isn’t really an issue.

What kind of tv contract does an AAC18 get? I think it’s stays around the same 8-10 million a year. We have to remember the AAC got that deal when UCF, UH, and Cinci were in the league. I don’t know what kind of value their replacements will get once it’s time to renew.

Maybe espn throws more money at the AAC if they expand their footprint into more timezones.

Mwc makes the most sense but that is the worst scenario for UTEP. Also, geographical conferences are pretty much dead now a days due to media partners wanting multiple timezones. I think ESPN (AAC) wants to beat Fox (MWC) is every way.

Crazy question but worth throwing out there. If the exit fees are too much for most schools to leave the MWC, which schools are next in line? Does UTEP then become an option for the AAC?

As they say in Dumb and Dumber, so you're saying there's a chance?
No. UTEP is not as valuable as a Boise or UNLV. AAC and ESPN wouldn’t be interested.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915

Logical things left a long time ago. Yeah 18 might be weird for the AAC, but I think it would be necessary.

Maybe espn throws more money at the AAC if they expand their footprint into more timezones.

Mwc makes the most sense but that is the worst scenario for UTEP. Also, geographical conferences are pretty much dead now a days due to media partners wanting multiple timezones. I think ESPN (AAC) wants to beat Fox (MWC) is every way.
Having 3 or 4 time zones certainly helps, but the Sun Belt will continue to do fine because they are willing to play on Tuesdays. If they had a Saturday only stance, they wouldn’t be better than CUSA. Them and the SEC are the most “compact”. Other than the MAC, but they’re another story.

I guess you misread the question. I didn't say or insinuate UTEP is more valuable than any team in the MWC.
If AAC lands the PAC2 and is unable to steal any MW schools cuz of exit fees then Imo AAC stays put at 16. No way in Hell Paso they let UTEP in at 17 for their western flank.

A better answer. And I sadly agree.
I agree as well. If the AAC does end up adding WSU and OSU, I do think there is a possibility for them to add a some MWC teams in a couple of years, to avoid the exit fees. From a business perspective (and that is exactly what all this realignment is driven by), ESPN could attempt to gut the MWC to deliver a blow to Fox.

I guess you misread the question. I didn't say or insinuate UTEP is more valuable than any team in the MWC.
I guess you misread my answer. You asked if UTEP to the AAC would be a possibility. I wrote no, because they’re not as valuable as Boise or UNLV. So if those teams turned down the AAC, the AAC wouldn’t even ask UTEP.

I agree as well. If the AAC does end up adding WSU and OSU, I do think there is a possibility for them to add a some MWC teams in a couple of years, to avoid the exit fees. From a business perspective (and that is exactly what all this realignment is driven by), ESPN could attempt to gut the MWC to deliver a blow to Fox.
In a few years we might all be Group of five or whatever they call us while the premier schools break off and do their own thing.

My expectation is that in a matter of about 5-10 years, these mega conferences will get WAC'ed. The outlier schools will realize the cost (travel) in these leagues is untenable and those that drive the revenue will puff out their chests and believe they don't need the "underperformers". This is not the end of all of this craziness.

My expectation is that in a matter of about 5-10 years, these mega conferences will get WAC'ed. The outlier schools will realize the cost (travel) in these leagues is untenable and those that drive the revenue will puff out their chests and believe they don't need the "underperformers". This is not the end of all of this craziness.

You do have to wonder what is the limit on these TV deals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT