ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Colorado leaving the PAC 12

Looks like the PAC will spend its last two years exploring its options and/or trying to keep the conference Alive. Kliavkoffs job looks to be gone-zo though.

If the PAC stays alive and they invite enough teams from the AAC and MWC, utep might get its chance. Senter, wake up.

Reactions: utep-piggy
Looks like the PAC will spend its last two years exploring its options and/or trying to keep the conference Alive. Kliavkoffs job looks to be gone-zo though.

If the PAC stays alive and they invite enough teams from the AAC and MWC, utep might get its chance. Senter, wake up.
The Pac really doesn’t have two years though. They have around 11 months before their TV contracts expire. Next year, the 4 Pac teams have 6 football games scheduled - 3 non-conference and 3 against each other (assuming they stay together). So between now and September 2024, they each have to find 6 more football games.

That is their main problem. 2024 is right around the corner. The longer they wait, the more money it will cost them.

PAC 4 plus the best of MW and best of AAC isn’t getting a tv deal that’s worth the move for the American schools.

I think Cal and Stanford go independent. OSU and WSU join MW.
I think it would be interesting if they “tried”. However, if they were to join, Stanford and Cal would be looking at every opportunity to leave that conference and join one of the “big 4” conferences.

Why would Memphis and USF leave the AAC to be in a worse situation rather quickly (probably)?

The Pac 12 has nobody to blame but themselves. I feel sorry for OSU and WSU fans though. They’re going to be trading games with USC and UCLA for New Mexico and Nevada.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
PAC 4 plus the best of MW and best of AAC isn’t getting a tv deal that’s worth the move for the American schools.

I think Cal and Stanford go independent. OSU and WSU join MW.
The only school that can thrive as an independent is Notre Dame. Cal’s athletic department is so far in debt with that Pac 12 money there’s no way in hell they can survive as an independent.

I think it would be interesting if they “tried”. However, if they were to join, Stanford and Cal would be looking at every opportunity to leave that conference and join one of the “big 4” conferences.

Why would Memphis and USF leave the AAC to be in a worse situation rather quickly (probably)?

The Pac 12 has nobody to blame but themselves. I feel sorry for OSU and WSU fans though. They’re going to be trading games with USC and UCLA for New Mexico and Nevada.
I don’t feel sorry for any of them. None of them (including fan bases) has felt pity for the G5s that have been left behind, left out. Why? Because they thought they were above the G5s based on their affiliation.

The Northwesterns and Rutgers of the world shouldn’t feel protected by their current “status”. It can all come crumbling down at any point.

The only school that can thrive as an independent is Notre Dame. Cal’s athletic department is so far in debt with that Pac 12 money there’s no way in hell they can survive as an independent.
I wish/hope the Big10 schools shut them out. ND has such a sweet deal that’s built on their rivalries. That’s why they can thrive. Make them capitulate.

I know SMU is thinking long term, but damn 7 years with no TV Revenue sounds like they're all in and down to lose money for awhile for it to pay off down the line.

I think it's a better deal for Stanford and Cal to stick with WSU and OSU and keep the "Power 5" designation by taking all but 3 of the MWC teams, which would force that conference to dissolve and nobody would have to pay those exorbitant exit fees. I think that's a better play than giving "concessions" to a conference 3 time zones away for the privilege of flying across the country and not sharing in the full spoils. The ACC has truly prohibitive exit fees, too, so Stanford and Cal would be locked into whatever arrangement they make with the ACC. Go talk with the MWC schools instead and tell the ACC to go pound sand unless they offer better terms.

I think it's a better deal for Stanford and Cal to stick with WSU and OSU and keep the "Power 5" designation by taking all but 3 of the MWC teams, which would force that conference to dissolve and nobody would have to pay those exorbitant exit fees. I think that's a better play than giving "concessions" to a conference 3 time zones away for the privilege of flying across the country and not sharing in the full spoils. The ACC has truly prohibitive exit fees, too, so Stanford and Cal would be locked into whatever arrangement they make with the ACC. Go talk with the MWC schools instead and tell the ACC to go pound sand unless they offer better terms.
Unfortunately there's no way the PAC keeps that P5 designation

I know SMU is thinking long term, but damn 7 years with no TV Revenue sounds like they're all in and down to lose money for awhile for it to pay off down the line.
SMU wouldn’t lose money. Boosters with deep ass pockets would keep the flow flowing. Including NIL money. SMU is NOT hurting for money. It’s actually a brilliant strategy. How else would they even be considered for the ACC?

SMU wouldn’t lose money. Boosters with deep ass pockets would keep the flow flowing. Including NIL money. SMU is NOT hurting for money. It’s actually a brilliant strategy. How else would they even be considered for the ACC?
The ACC adding SMU is laughable. That’s how far the ACC has fallen. SMU has had like 2 good basketball seasons and has been extremely average at football. Even UTEP gets more fans to their games than SMU.

If SMU does go, it just means worse news for UTEP. The AAC will take a CUSA or SBC team to replace them, who would then take a CUSA team. CUSA will then just end up promoting another FCS team to the league.

Reactions: kickballpro
Says who?
Pretty much anyone with some logical thinking. Oregon St is pretty decent right now, the other Pac 3, not so much. Their recruiting would probably suffer then. Instead of selling games versus USC, Oregon, and others, you’re selling games against Rice, Tulane, and Boise St. Come on, the new Pac 12 would hardly be better than the AAC is currently.

Reactions: MinerManiac
The ACC adding SMU is laughable. That’s how far the ACC has fallen. SMU has had like 2 good basketball seasons and has been extremely average at football. Even UTEP gets more fans to their games than SMU.

If SMU does go, it just means worse news for UTEP. The AAC will take a CUSA or SBC team to replace them, who would then take a CUSA team. CUSA will then just end up promoting another FCS team to the league.
It doesn’t matter. That’s not what drives this train. Nor is it fans in the stands. I know you know that.

I’m not saying I’m for it. It just is what is. Money talks, and many of those associated with SMU have it in abundance…and are willing to part with it to get SMU into the club.

Pretty much anyone with some logical thinking. Oregon St is pretty decent right now, the other Pac 3, not so much. Their recruiting would probably suffer then. Instead of selling games versus USC, Oregon, and others, you’re selling games against Rice, Tulane, and Boise St. Come on, the new Pac 12 would hardly be better than the AAC is currently.
It wouldn’t be any better aside from the history…which will soon be history.

It doesn’t matter. That’s not what drives this train. Nor is it fans in the stands. I know you know that.

I’m not saying I’m for it. It just is what is. Money talks, and many of those associated with SMU have it in abundance…and are willing to part with it to get SMU into the club.
Yeah I get it. SMU is just incredibly undeserving.

Yep...the PAC leftovers going East to the ACC is worst-case-scenario for the Miners, IMO.

The NCAA currently identifies the PAC 12 as an "autonomy conference" along with the other 4 Power 5 conferences with greater autonomy from certain NCAA rules than the "group of five" conferences. The AAC is not recognized as an autonomy conference and they have no reason to extend it to the AAC.

It's not a matter of which conference is "better" right now. The PAC 12 is an autonomy conference, and if the MWC and AAC teams want to join an autonomy conference, they will have to leave the MWC or AAC. That's quite a pitch if they want to poach the best teams from those two conferences.

The problem with the MWC is their large exit fees, but if all but three MWC teams leave the conference, then the conference will dissolve and no team will need to pay an exit fee. We know that SDSU still wants in the PAC 12 because they've been lobbying other MWC teams to jump with them, but the other schools don't want to pay the exit fees. So the answer is for the PAC 12 to invite eight of them, then they won't need to pay exit fees.

The NCAA currently identifies the PAC 12 as an "autonomy conference" along with the other 4 Power 5 conferences with greater autonomy from certain NCAA rules than the "group of five" conferences. The AAC is not recognized as an autonomy conference and they have no reason to extend it to the AAC.

It's not a matter of which conference is "better" right now. The PAC 12 is an autonomy conference, and if the MWC and AAC teams want to join an autonomy conference, they will have to leave the MWC or AAC. That's quite a pitch if they want to poach the best teams from those two conferences.

The problem with the MWC is their large exit fees, but if all but three MWC teams leave the conference, then the conference will dissolve and no team will need to pay an exit fee. We know that SDSU still wants in the PAC 12 because they've been lobbying other MWC teams to jump with them, but the other schools don't want to pay the exit fees. So the answer is for the PAC 12 to invite eight of them, then they won't need to pay exit fees.
The Pac 12 currently identifies as that, but just because you have 4 left (maybe) and then you decide to pull “lesser” teams, doesn’t mean, they will retain that status. The other 4 conferences will do everything they can to take that designation from them.

MWC teams aren’t going to leave their conference to join OSU and WSU. If they do, it will just to get the name and other technicalities. MWC teams aren’t going to pay $17-34 million to join the Pac 12 now.

Even in your scenario, there’s still MWC teams leftover to collect exit fees and invite NMSU, UTEP, and LaTech. They’re still in business because the Pac 12 isn’t taking UNM, Wyoming, SJSU, and others.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Even in your scenario, there’s still MWC teams leftover to collect exit fees and invite NMSU, UTEP, and LaTech. They’re still in business because the Pac 12 isn’t taking UNM, Wyoming, SJSU, and others.
No, by the rules of the MWC, if all but 3 teams leave, the conference dissolves. There is no MWC to collect exit fees in that case.

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/re...t-out-of-potential-mountain-westpac-12-merger

"For starters, it would take votes from nine of the 12 schools — Hawaii gets a vote despite being a football-only member — to dissolve the Mountain West and merge with the Pac-12, thus avoiding exit fees and shifting most of your conference into the more high-profile brand name of the Pac-12."

Mountain West Handbook:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.si...s/2022/8/18/2022_23_MW_Handbook_Composite.pdf

"1.03 Voting Rights of Members. Each Member Institution shall be entitled to appoint one (1) director to the Board of Directors in accordance with Section 2.03. Member Institutions shall be entitled to vote with respect to the dissolution of the Corporation pursuant to C.R.S. § 7‐134‐102. The affirmative vote of three-fourths (3/4) of the Member Institutions shall be required to dissolve the Conference. Member Institutions shall have no other voting rights."

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocketsr
Honestly does anyone see Utep EVER moving up the conference ranks ?
Depends on alot of factors: Consistent winner in Football and to a lesser extent Basketball, Facility upgrades, Commitment by President and AD to improving position, and then how all the chips fall with realignment. I'd say 50/50 on Utep getting out of C-USA in next 5 years.

Reactions: Minerinciter
Honestly does anyone see Utep EVER moving up the conference ranks ?
That’s debatable. If UTEP joins the MWC, it will be a MWC without SDSU and other top teams. If UTEP joins the AAC, it will be an AAC without Memphis and other top teams.

That’s about the best we can hope for at this point.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
No, by the rules of the MWC, if all but 3 teams leave, the conference dissolves. There is no MWC to collect exit fees in that case.

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/re...t-out-of-potential-mountain-westpac-12-merger

"For starters, it would take votes from nine of the 12 schools — Hawaii gets a vote despite being a football-only member — to dissolve the Mountain West and merge with the Pac-12, thus avoiding exit fees and shifting most of your conference into the more high-profile brand name of the Pac-12."

Mountain West Handbook:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.si...s/2022/8/18/2022_23_MW_Handbook_Composite.pdf

"1.03 Voting Rights of Members. Each Member Institution shall be entitled to appoint one (1) director to the Board of Directors in accordance with Section 2.03. Member Institutions shall be entitled to vote with respect to the dissolution of the Corporation pursuant to C.R.S. § 7‐134‐102. The affirmative vote of three-fourths (3/4) of the Member Institutions shall be required to dissolve the Conference. Member Institutions shall have no other voting rights."
The MWC currently has “12” teams, so in order to only leave 3, which 9 are leaving and where are they leaving to?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT