ADVERTISEMENT

OT: El Paso Times

Maximus Miner

Rookie
Jul 1, 2005
I absolutely dislike the new paper format that the Times has gone to. It's pretty much cut in half from what it used to be. I get that the digital age has changed everything but still it is not the same. They've now combined the main sections together with less pages, thus less content. Also No more box scores and recaps in the sports section. It will be available only online. Ridiculous. I'm Glad coach Floyd ripped into them on his show tonight.

Reactions: mikesarabia
He said for a city our size the Times should not have to be downsizing and the new 7pm deadline is ridiculous. A lot of people are ticked off.

The Dallas Morning News is suffering from the same sad realism of the digital age. I know many many folks over here that won't pay for a subscription any longer. It's gotten to be ridiculously expensive. Even I have had to rely on the internet for any sports news west of Ft Worth. So sad.

Wow, 7 P.M. deadline? I guess the Times won't be covering UTEP games anymore (not like they really did in the past). It wouldn't make sense to have an article in the paper two days later. I guess no more articles about the Chihuahuas either.

The problem with the deadlines is this:
The newspaper in print has suffered enormously because of the internet, social media, instant news sources. Naturally most people want info right friggin now. How often have we complained because we cant watch a game anywhere on tv or streaming? Since the majority of people want instant info, printing the info becomes old very fast. The El Paso Times, in an effort to save money and stay afloat, has combined all their properties in Southern NM and El Paso into one printing facility which is in El Paso. They have also drastically reduced the delivery force in an effort to save money as well. Obviously, they need fewer to deliver when their circulation is dropping faster than a rock off a bridge.
Now remember, they print for Silver City, Deming, Las Cruces, Ruidoso, Carlsbad, Alamogordo, and El Paso. The extended delivery area includes Van Horn, Alpine (sundays), Artesia, T or C, Caballo, etc. Therefore, the deadlines had to be moved up to get all publications printed (things still must be changed between publications at ANY newspaper which takes time) and out the door at a decent time so they get delivered. I really don't think the deadline is 7 pm at the El Paso Times. I believe their stories must be ready to print by 10 as they are the last to go to press.

Most newspapers are hurting because of the digital age. I understand this. IMHO there is still a need for the printed version, but it needs to be reinvented. The daily paper should no longer be about events that happened yesterday. It should be more about in depth local stories and local people. Stuff you can't find on the internet easily. You don't think people would love to read about little johnny coming from segundo barrio being the star on Bowie's freshman team? How about Franklin's cheerleading squad qualifying for nationals? C'mon....This would make the printed version live on as a LOT of family members across the city will buy the paper. (not just this story but more like it) And don't make the printed version available online!

Charging for the digital version is STUPID! Why would ANYONE want to pay for the news the Times puts online when you can get the same news, done better, from various other sources for FREE online? I get it, their revenue numbers are in the tank. Fix your product and make it worth paying for. The goal of Gannett now is to get every dime out of the printed product before killing it completely.

There IS a demand for the printed product. If there wasn't, all magazines would be gone. Hell, look at El Paso Inc. They aren't killing positions and product. They are changing the way they do things.

It's a damn shame what has happened to the newspaper. I haven't picked one up to read in almost 5 years. At least I hear the horrible management is changing little by little.

Oh and....reducing the staff in editorial has got to be the dumbest thing EVER! Yeah, lets cover the news with less people in a larger area. I'm SURE that's a good idea....

Wow....what a ramble.....sorry...

Dropping circulation is a problem but on the flip side of that is ad revenue. If a paper cannot secure enough ads it cannot support itself, money from advertising is the heart of revenue in the news biz. EPT has been losing ad revenue for years both local and national ads as are all newspapers. News ads just don't generate the traffic they once did, car dealers, retailers and most businesses have shifted away from print media and to online and television. I enjoy reading a newspaper every morning but a good local newspaper is going to be a thing of the past. Eventually you will see 2-3 national papers and a few regionals survive. I also believe that something similar will occur in retail sales in the next few years as well. "Online" has changed more about our lives than we could ever have imagined.

The problem with the deadlines is this:
The newspaper in print has suffered enormously because of the internet, social media, instant news sources. Naturally most people want info right friggin now. How often have we complained because we cant watch a game anywhere on tv or streaming? Since the majority of people want instant info, printing the info becomes old very fast. The El Paso Times, in an effort to save money and stay afloat, has combined all their properties in Southern NM and El Paso into one printing facility which is in El Paso. They have also drastically reduced the delivery force in an effort to save money as well. Obviously, they need fewer to deliver when their circulation is dropping faster than a rock off a bridge.
Now remember, they print for Silver City, Deming, Las Cruces, Ruidoso, Carlsbad, Alamogordo, and El Paso. The extended delivery area includes Van Horn, Alpine (sundays), Artesia, T or C, Caballo, etc. Therefore, the deadlines had to be moved up to get all publications printed (things still must be changed between publications at ANY newspaper which takes time) and out the door at a decent time so they get delivered. I really don't think the deadline is 7 pm at the El Paso Times. I believe their stories must be ready to print by 10 as they are the last to go to press.

Most newspapers are hurting because of the digital age. I understand this. IMHO there is still a need for the printed version, but it needs to be reinvented. The daily paper should no longer be about events that happened yesterday. It should be more about in depth local stories and local people. Stuff you can't find on the internet easily. You don't think people would love to read about little johnny coming from segundo barrio being the star on Bowie's freshman team? How about Franklin's cheerleading squad qualifying for nationals? C'mon....This would make the printed version live on as a LOT of family members across the city will buy the paper. (not just this story but more like it) And don't make the printed version available online!

Charging for the digital version is STUPID! Why would ANYONE want to pay for the news the Times puts online when you can get the same news, done better, from various other sources for FREE online? I get it, their revenue numbers are in the tank. Fix your product and make it worth paying for. The goal of Gannett now is to get every dime out of the printed product before killing it completely.

There IS a demand for the printed product. If there wasn't, all magazines would be gone. Hell, look at El Paso Inc. They aren't killing positions and product. They are changing the way they do things.

It's a damn shame what has happened to the newspaper. I haven't picked one up to read in almost 5 years. At least I hear the horrible management is changing little by little.

Oh and....reducing the staff in editorial has got to be the dumbest thing EVER! Yeah, lets cover the news with less people in a larger area. I'm SURE that's a good idea....

Wow....what a ramble.....sorry...

Very insightful post. The demise of newspapers is also the demise of reading and also the demise of an informed populace. Unfortunately, low information voters relying on talking points for their "facts" have gotten this country into the fix that we're in.

Reactions: HoustonDan
I don't think newspapers has taken reading away from people. I remember a time where the only way to get information was from a newspaper. Now, with the Internet, I am more informed on current events and I probably read more. But, I read actual news articles and don't rely on social media for the news.

If the El Paso Times is making drastic cuts, all whole doing little if anything to attract new customers it's safe to say they're as good as dead. One thing that would lure me to subscribe would be some really good UTEP coverage but I can not remembee the last time they had anything worthwhile. It says a lot about how sucky their product is when highly motivated individuals at Miner Rush or online boards have better coverage and insight then The Times.

You can also tell by the lack of local display ads that they're in serious trouble.

I like El Paso, Inc.

I will tell you this as well....Gannett previously owned the El Paso Times. They sold controlling rights to Media news group who only tried to milk every dime out of it and cut every position possible to get Dean Singleton money to retire on. Gannett bought controlling interest back a couple years ago. Their claim at that point was....."we are debt free" after buying the Times group. They know how to stay in the black even if it does end the print side.

Again, it's sad what it has become.......a good daily print paper would sell....

The Times is dying like most newspapers. Many of their die hard subscribers are older and/or retired military, which tend to be more conservative. The Times is written in a very liberal point of view.

As pointed out, the life blood of a paper is the ads. Classified section is nearly dead and to make up for it, placing an ad is too expensive.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
I assume the deadline doesn't apply to the online edition?? I haven't read a physical paper in I don't know how long. Everything I read, including Times articles which are worlds better than anything from any other local news source, is online.

It's started -- nothing in today's EP Times print edition re: last night's FAU win.

One comment on Knight's online article re: FAU, and it's from Steve Yellen:

"If you are a student athlete on a Tim Floyd coached hoops team, and play four years for him, you'll earn a phD degree in basketball. Today's game an example of why - coach is Bball savant ! A true genius at x and o's and inspiring toughness."

Last edited:
One comment on Knight's online article re: FAU, and it's from Steve Yellen:

"If you are a student athlete on a Tim Floyd coached hoops team, and play four years for him, you'll earn a phD degree in basketball. Today's game an example of why - coach is Bball savant ! A true genius at x and o's and inspiring toughness"
Yellen under the scorers table during a recent UTEP game, probably...
200w.webp

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
Not the first time.
So let me get this straight. El Pasoans must rely on TV and radio only for UTEP sports coverage? Guess I just didn't have a clue that it could be that awful. Are all of the reporters gone? Do Knight and Bloomquist still exist? I' m stunned.

The print edition now has something like a 6 pm cutoff. Knight wrote an online article after the FAU game last night, but there was no coverage of the game in today's/Friday's print paper.

And even then you have to buy the online subscription since they limit how many articles you can view for free. I can't imagine the print version of the Times will be around much longer at this rate

At this rate the El Paso Times might not be around much longer. Without the print version they're wanting to charge for on- line version when there are a lot of free ways to get access to the stories. Not looking good for them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT