ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Locomotive to play

THE TRAIN HAS BEEN DERAILED! 😢

Oakland upsets Locos 1-0 in a huge upset. The Locos best season in their short three year history has come to a disappointing end. 😩

• Sad
Reactions: FarWestTexas
I'm pretty sure the worst 3 weeks in UTEP history happened sometime when we were in the middle of the longest losing streak in the nation.

I'm pretty sure the worst 3 weeks in UTEP history happened sometime when we were in the middle of the longest losing streak in the nation.
I think having 9 (maybe 11) of your conference members leaving you behind and losing two games to legitimize your status as a “good team” is worse than losing when you’re bad and expected to lose. Whatever losing streak you’re referring to isn’t even close to the NCAA record.

In that case not really. Imo being left behind in the WAC by the school's that formed the MW was worse. I wasn't active in UTEP sports back then but how many saw that coming.

We all knew we were going to be left behind in whatever version of CUSA remained.

Like you said, losing two games you're expected to lose isn't that bad.

In that case not really. Imo being left behind in the WAC by the school's that formed the MW was worse. I wasn't active in UTEP sports back then but how many saw that coming.

We all knew we were going to be left behind in whatever version of CUSA remained.

Like you said, losing two games you're expected to lose isn't that bad.
It hurt more personally, because it was the first time and those were conference mates for 30 plus years. We’re used to it now and we were still left with an 8 team conference that included TCU, SMU, and Fresno. A far cry from being left with LaTech and FIU.

Reactions: JCorona
If I remember correctly weren't TCU and SMU also backstabbed and left behind by their long time conference mates?

If I remember correctly weren't TCU and SMU also backstabbed and left behind by their long time conference mates?
“Backstabbed” I don’t know about that. Texas, Tech, Baylor, and Texas A&M joined with the Big 8 after Arkansas left to the SEC. So they were “left behind” too.

I hope Lowry is leaving on his own accord, and perhaps to a better opportunity, and not because of the shocking first round upset in the playoffs. Thanks for all you did for the Locos. Best of luck to you coach in your future endeavors.

Locomotive FC Announces Departure of Mark Lowry

I hope Lowry is leaving on his own accord, and perhaps to a better opportunity, and not because of the shocking first round upset in the playoffs. Thanks for all you did for the Locos. Best of luck to you coach in your future endeavors.

That was a huge 1st round loss though. I think he was let go. Good coach but in sports it's all about championships.

“Better opportunity” ends up being Indy Eleven.

While I don't agree with this moves it's really something I wish UTEP should do. Imagine firing a coach for winning but not winning the championship.

Reactions: axingfools1
While I don't agree with this moves it's really something I wish UTEP should do. Imagine firing a coach for winning but not winning the championship.
Doesn’t say that he was fired. How many people get fired and then get hired a few hours later?

If he left on his own then that's understandable.
I can’t imagine they outright fired him, sure, season ended in disappointment, but soccer playoffs almost never go chalk. Look at the way MountainStar runs FC Juarez, even though they don’t own them 100%, they put out a poor product. Not sure why they would hold EPL to a higher standard.

I can’t imagine they outright fired him, sure, season ended in disappointment, but soccer playoffs almost never go chalk. Look at the way MountainStar runs FC Juarez, even though they don’t own them 100%, they put out a poor product. Not sure why they would hold EPL to a higher standard.
The #1 seed, Phoenix was upset too. It was a tough loss but it happens to the best of teams. Maybe Lowry thinks he took Locomotive as far as he could.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
“Better opportunity” ends up being Indy Eleven.
Sucks even more he's taking a coaching position with another team in the same league as the Locos. I figured he would be in line for an opportunity in MLS or abroad. Wonder if there's trouble within the Locos organization that we don't know about yet. Indy Eleven is planning a new state of the art soccer only stadium. The Locos have no chance of getting their own, unless MountainStar is willing to finance it entirely. He'll be missed.

Look into the club he’s going to. They’ve been in talks as an MLS expansion team and have been pushing for a while, even building a soccer stadium downtown. If Mark thinks he can push them over the edge into the MLS, it is an excellent career move.

Reactions: FarWestTexas

4e2b3c04-5bf4-40e3-ab62-ec0e53ed14e1_text.gif

Look into the club he’s going to. They’ve been in talks as an MLS expansion team and have been pushing for a while, even building a soccer stadium downtown. If Mark thinks he can push them over the edge into the MLS, it is an excellent career move.
That’s not how it works. His success will have no bearing on Indy getting to MLS. I have never heard their name come up in expansion talks. By the time they would be considered, Mark will be long gone.

That’s not how it works. His success will have no bearing on Indy getting to MLS. I have never heard their name come up in expansion talks. By the time they would be considered, Mark will be long gone.

Not talking about relegation/promotion. His new team has been applying to be an MLS expansion team and if he can rally a good amount of fan support, leverage their new stadium, and shake the right hands, they could be in line to be an MLS franchise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT