ADVERTISEMENT

OT Memorial Day

I come from long background of military service. I live in EP because my father retired from the Army here. I have tons of crazy stories from my grandfathers, father, brother, uncles, cousins and now my oldest son (all of whom survived, but some of which lost many in battle). Knock on wood!

To those interested, my dad's dad (born 1920) was in the Pacific during WW2. He graduated from Purdue University as a chemical engineer at age 22, got married and then enlisted. While in service, his job was 'engineering'. A few men would go ahead of infantry to set seismic devices that could triangulate enemy artillery for counter attacks during surges. How he wasn't killed during that time is pretty amazing, but he made it to the end. My father was conceived prior to him leaving for war, but they never met until he was 2 years old.

My grandfather was truly a great man and I always looked up to him and could count on him until he died in 2020 at the age of 100. He had an amazing life. What he (and every soldier during that time) went through though is unimaginable. They did it for us. I will NEVER forget that or take what we have for granted.

Happy Memorial Day!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT