ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Next Big Thing for El Paso?

What will be El Paso's next big thing to come?

• State of the Art Aquarium

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Great Wolf Lodge / Other form of new waterpark

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • New Amusement Park

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • New Pro Team (pending Arena resolve)

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • IKEA / Other Large Retailer

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Other (fill in blank)

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
$150M remaining to build what kind of a multipurpose center? Certainly not an arena that would be suitable to attrach big events or possibly a minor league sports team. If anything, it’ll be something small again like the Coliseum, which we don’t need. This project was successfully derailed by Grossman and his out-of-state financial backer. It’s time to scrap the idea entirely and move on.

$150M remaining to build what kind of a multipurpose center? Certainly not an arena that would be suitable to attrach big events or possibly a minor league sports team. If anything, it’ll be something small again like the Coliseum, which we don’t need. This project was successfully derailed by Grossman and his out-of-state financial backer. It’s time to scrap the idea entirely and move on.
Yeah I'm totally confused now. I previously read that the 150 million was re-purposed for government upgrades. Now this info comes out. This could have been decided on years ago.

Reactions: Lil_Train

Says in El Paso Matters they will build a 4000 seat indoor venue and 4000 seat outdoor venue?

Says in El Paso Matters they will build a 4000 seat indoor venue and 4000 seat outdoor venue?
I was just at the NE city council meeting. Molinar said "The proposed venue will have 4000 seats indoor, and 4000 outdoor. They can convert either to be max 8000"

He also said it would be west of the union depot, therefore it will sit on top of Campbell street. LOL

I asked....Won't that be a traffic nightmare getting in and out? There's only ONE way with no options to build other routes. His argument was "Traffic is always bad at big events including the Don" Really? UTEP has a bazillion ways to leave, not just one.

Bad idea

I was just at the NE city council meeting. Molinar said "The proposed venue will have 4000 seats indoor, and 4000 outdoor. They can convert either to be max 8000"

He also said it would be west of the union depot, therefore it will sit on top of Campbell street. LOL

I asked....Won't that be a traffic nightmare getting in and out? There's only ONE way with no options to build other routes. His argument was "Traffic is always bad at big events including the Don" Really? UTEP has a bazillion ways to leave, not just one.

Bad idea
Even if you could utilize all 8,000 seats, it’s still woefully undersized for major events. More so you wouldn’t be able to use the outdoor seating during the cold winter season. This is a disaster of a plan all around.

Even if you could utilize all 8,000 seats, it’s still woefully undersized for major events. More so you wouldn’t be able to use the outdoor seating during the cold winter season. This is a disaster of a plan all around.
I totally agree!
The Don can still seat more, better access, and no weather.

Reactions: kickballpro
I totally agree!
The Don can still seat more, better access, and no weather.
When I voted in favor of this issue back in the day, it was for an arena capable of hosting large events, and hopefully attract a minor league sports tenant. I’m not in favor of this watered down McKelligon Canyon Amphitheater v2.0 sh1t! This issue needs to either be brought back to the voters for approval, or preferably scrapped altogether and start over again.

Hell, if that information is accurate, I make more than a FBI agent. Less risk too. 😁
That information is incorrect. That‘s what a new, fresh out of the academy FBI Agent makes. Every year they receive pay increases. A senior FBI Agent (10+ years) makes about $168k. They make more money in places like Dallas, LA, NYC, and Houston due to a higher cost of living adjustment (COLA).

It’s a joke that El Paso can’t get an arena built. As El Paso has dealt with years don’t expect any huge production concerts , fights, or anything worth a damn to come to the Don. Look what Austin did with their new arena and now they are listed on literally every major tour going forward. El Paso has the people to attend a huge concert, the money when they want to spend it, and yet El
Paso doesn’t get squat and nobody bats an eye.

In El Paso we will always be little brother to these other metropolitan cities and they sit back and laugh because the word is El Paso did it to themselves again LOL. It’s a sad realization but decisions like this set El Paso back 15-20 years every time they allow stupid to win. Start electing people that wants to see El Paso win. The Haskins center is now home of UTEP basketball , the Carolina Rec Center League championship and it’s literally the pity stop when an artist wants to make a small El Paso run to make a little extra dough. How many years does the Haskins Center even last before it starts falling apart?

Reactions: MINER.JAY
There are cities smaller that El Paso that have top tier professional teams. One hundred years history will show the arena deal was dealt a death blow by a deeply fanny hurt UTEP professor who was kicked off the historical commission that turned into a verbal attack on both sides (like the Coach Floyd tenure, it was "vented" on radio stations and media) and as an apparent act of retribution, took the the city to court and as a final death blow, secured major money from a tycoon in Houston to fight it in Texas' courts who stated the cities election "for" or "against" verbiage was not specific enough.

El Paso voters want an arena. Voters for the past few years vote time and time again for city and school improvement projects (school district misuse of funds is whole different story) to go thru because they are tired of the lack of infrastructure our large city has.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
There are cities smaller that El Paso that have top tier professional teams. One hundred years history will show the arena deal was dealt a death blow by a deeply fanny hurt UTEP professor who was kicked off the historical commission that turned into a verbal attack on both sides (like the Coach Floyd tenure, it was "vented" on radio stations and media) and as an apparent act of retribution, took the the city to court and as a final death blow, secured major money from a tycoon in Houston to fight it in Texas' courts who stated the cities election "for" or "against" verbiage was not specific enough.

El Paso voters want an arena. Voters for the past few years vote time and time again for city and school improvement projects (school district misuse of funds is whole different story) to go thru because they are tired of the lack of infrastructure our large city has.
Why did the Houston tycoon care so much?

Reactions: picks up
It’s a shame that the actions of a disgruntled individual and the tycoon derailed the voter approved project. The new proposed smaller arena will be a waste of tax payers money. People in El Paso voted for a large downtown indoor venue for crowds of 15k+, which would be able to accommodate modern concert stages. The problem with some of these elected officials is not having any long term vision. Most of these individuals don’t go to concerts or sporting events, or simply don’t care. Successful cities understand you have to invest in quality of life projects to make the city more attractive and competitive. EP wants to attract good paying jobs, but don’t understand they have to make the city more attractive and offer its citizens better options. What does the city offer to make companies want to move to EP? This lack of strategic vision is keeping EP a low wage city with minimal entertainment options.

It’s a shame that the actions of a disgruntled individual and the tycoon derailed the voter approved project. The new proposed smaller arena will be a waste of tax payers money. People in El Paso voted for a large downtown indoor venue for crowds of 15k+, which would be able to accommodate modern concert stages. The problem with some of these elected officials is not having any long term vision. Most of these individuals don’t go to concerts or sporting events, or simply don’t care. Successful cities understand you have to invest in quality of life projects to make the city more attractive and competitive. EP wants to attract good paying jobs, but don’t understand they have to make the city more attractive and offer its citizens better options. What does the city offer to make companies want to move to EP? This lack of strategic vision is keeping EP a low wage city with minimal entertainment options.

I bet that it's Max is just the scapegoat. Local Officials rather used tax payer money on their vacations and raises. I bet the money is already gone , money has been used already. That's why they want smaller arena.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Probably because this isn't his city.
That and the guy is probably a rich pompous that only sees things from his perspective and has no sense of meaning within history as well as the importance to our community.

Or maybe his ancestors were Chinese Indians and he thinks he owes them protection of the laundry mat artifacts? 🤔

Reactions: picks up
Well, it started off TOOL in EP and took a little side road like almost any other thread on here.

If we’re gonna go there though, I’m more into At The Drive-In or even Sparta.
All from the same family tree. They were never really my thing, to be honest, but they certainly have their fans. At the Drive-In got plenty of airplay in Chicago when I was at Northwestern.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Meta (Facebook) opening a data center in NE El Paso:

“ The company that operates Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp has completed the $8.5 million purchase of more than 1,000 acres of city-owned Northeast El Paso land for a proposed huge data center.”

Check out this article from El Paso Times:

Meta completes $8.5M purchase of El Paso land for proposed data center

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT