ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Next Big Thing for El Paso?

What will be El Paso's next big thing to come?

• State of the Art Aquarium

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Great Wolf Lodge / Other form of new waterpark

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • New Amusement Park

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • New Pro Team (pending Arena resolve)

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • IKEA / Other Large Retailer

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Other (fill in blank)

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
You’re comparing El Paso to Miami, LA, Tampa??? Surely you just smoked some crack, yes?

Albuquerque is THE city to go to in their state, El Paso is not. People from the US actually go and visit there. Only people from Mexico come and visit El Paso. So put your new restaurant in a city that attracts Americans from several states or put your new restaurant in a city that has a bunch of illegals and is only visited when people are driving through to cooler cities? Hmmmm. Tough choice there.

He wasn't comparing the cities by what they offer. He said there is more Spanish speaking in Miami, Tampa, and LA.

There are illegals everywhere.

Not only people from Mexico visit El Paso.

You seem like you have a lot of hate going on in your life because you are a very negative person.

Reactions: Rot
[QUOTE="NoNCAAWinsSince1992, post: 241085, member: 5965". People from the US actually go and visit there.
[/QUOTE]

To do what? What attractions does Albuquerque have?

You really can't go wrong in Lockhart. I've had Black's, Smitty's, and Chisholm Trail and all were really good. I had favs of one type of meat from one place and another type of meat in another. Like the smoked turkey, if you're going to have turkey, is really good from Salt Lick in Austin/Driftwood but the brisket and sausage are better in Lockhart IMHO. And that is not a diss at Salt Lick. Salt Lick is pretty terrific too.
Agree, can’t go wrong in Lockhart, including Kreuz Market.

As far as whole experience goes, I enjoy Salt Lick in Driftwood. Hard to beat the good vibes there.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
You’re comparing El Paso to Miami, LA, Tampa??? Surely you just smoked some crack, yes?

Albuquerque is THE city to go to in their state, El Paso is not. People from the US actually go and visit there. Only people from Mexico come and visit El Paso. So put your new restaurant in a city that attracts Americans from several states or put your new restaurant in a city that has a bunch of illegals and is only visited when people are driving through to cooler cities? Hmmmm. Tough choice there.
I made a comparison between two cities that are comparable in size and located in the SW region. It’s pretty obvious ABQ is the largest and most important city in NM. Nobody is disputing that. I was simply asking why ABQ seems to get better retail establishments and restaurants. You are obviously annoyed by the fact that many people in EP speak Spanish. What did you expect to find in a border city, genius?? The reason I brought up Miami, LA, and Tampa was to make a point that Spanish is spoken in other cities away from the border. Many of us, who are El Pasoan’s and UTEP grads take pride in the fact that we’re bilingual. You obviously get annoyed by Spanish speakers living in EP. You must be very miserable living in EP.

Reactions: EPUTEP
Agree, can’t go wrong in Lockhart, including Kreuz Market.

As far as whole experience goes, I enjoy Salt Lick in Driftwood. Hard to beat the good vibes there.
Salt Lick and Franklin BBQ do not live up to the hype. The biggest travesty is whatever bbq sauce concoction Salt Lick has.

I’ve never had Desert Oak in EP but would love to know how it compares to the Lockhart staples. EP needs better BBQ places cause Famous Dave’s is awful and the Rudy’s is the franchise one not the ‘original’ version!

Salt Lick and Franklin BBQ do not live up to the hype. The biggest travesty is whatever bbq sauce concoction Salt Lick has.

I’ve never had Desert Oak in EP but would love to know how it compares to the Lockhart staples. EP needs better BBQ places cause Famous Dave’s is awful and the Rudy’s is the franchise one not the ‘original’ version!

Desert Oak is up there at the top.

I agree, Famous Dave's is awful. Rudy's is ok, but far from the best.

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
You are absolutely correct, the Fountains was supposed to be a high end shopping center, but fell way short of expectations. I was told by a high end retail regional manager that high end retail stores and expensive restaurants don’t consider high income earners in Juarez. It’s a shame because there are quite a few high income earners in Juarez and Chihuahua that spend big money in El Paso. Unfortunately, some of these individuals are traveling to other cities like Dallas, Phoenix and Houston that offer high end stores and restaurants. It still baffles me to see Albuquerque, which has about the same population as El Paso get nicer stores and restaurants. I don’t think Albuquerque’s incomes are much higher than El Paso’s. I wonder if El Paso gets passed over due to its proximity to Juarez. An example of this is In-N- Out Burger. They are in every major Texas city except El Paso. Now Albuquerque is getting one and El Paso is getting skipped. This is a fast food joint, which is actually cheaper than Whataburger and Chi Fil-A. Odessa and several cities in Mexico have HEBs and again El Paso is not in their plans. I don’t get it…
It's been covered before, but to be clear. HEB not being here has nothing to do with population SMH 😒

Back when I lived in El Paso I would typically shop at Walmart. I thought Albertsons was a nicer store, but personally found them to be more expensive than Walmart. In San Antonio I shop at HEB. My experience is that the price is similar, and that HEB is much, much nicer, for the reasons others have stated.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Meanwhile our friends in Juarez may begin to see their skyline dramatically change in the coming years. This is just one of several high rise projects that are currently under construction or early development. The Wells Fargo and Weststar tower are about 95 & 96 meters tall. The Quorum tower will exceed 130 meters!

https://www.ktsm.com/news/new-interactive-aquarium-to-open-in-el-paso/
Even though it may not be state of the art, at least it’s something for the EP community to enjoy!

Has anyone tried the new Panera Bread on the West side?

https://www.connectcre.com/stories/meta-to-build-800m-el-paso-data-center/
Interesting to see what this Meta data center will do for El Paso
My wife will be excited to go. I like the coffee there. The food is okay for fast food.

The proposed Meta data center would be huge for El Paso. I believe I read the average job would pay in the $80k range. This is what’s needed in EP to keep talent there and also bring talent from the outside. Hopefully this is the beginning of more high tech companies moving to EP.

The proposed Meta data center would be huge for El Paso. I believe I read the average job would pay in the $80k range. This is what’s needed in EP to keep talent there and also bring talent from the outside. Hopefully this is the beginning of more high tech companies moving to EP.
From what understand, it will only add 85 jobs. In addition, they receive a tax abatement of like 80% for 30 years. I was ok with it initially, but damn.
Doesn't matter. It was approved and will move forward.

Meta said it aims to invest around $800 million in the City of El Paso for a high-speed data center. There could be up to five phases of development, each totaling around 800,000 square feet on over 1,000 acres of land.

The company plans to acquire the city land for around $8.5 million and gain property tax abatement and rebates totaling more than $100 million.”

Reactions: MinerManiac
Even if only 85 jobs, the construction will employ 100,s
I'm just afraid the construction jobs will NOT be local companies.
Even so, long term I don't see the HUGE investment.

Give me a damn abatement....

BTW...Northeast city yahoo rep Molinar said in his weekly worthless meeting Friday.....El Paso has the highest property tax in the state and we get a large check each year from the state.....I mean....what?!?!?!?

I'm just afraid the construction jobs will NOT be local companies.
Even so, long term I don't see the HUGE investment.

Give me a damn abatement....

BTW...Northeast city yahoo rep Molinar said in his weekly worthless meeting Friday.....El Paso has the highest property tax in the state and we get a large check each year from the state.....I mean....what?!?!?!?
Most of the district and city reps are useless. El Paso has high property tax rates and the taxes go to things that most of us don't even use. What's gonna happen when everybody starts applying for the new homestead exemption?

I'd rather pay a higher fee for stuff like streets and maintainance and safety.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FarWestTexas

LOL I always laugh at the people who need to go to a new restaurant the first day and wait in line.

LOL I always laugh at the people who need to go to a new restaurant the first day and wait in line.
Went yesterday. Typical evidence of incompetency. It's the smallest Panera I have been to with very limited seating. Door handle broken. Bulb out on the sign already. They were out of the good bread.

• Haha
Reactions: EPUTEP
P terrys > In n out > whataburger
To each their own. While I love me some Whataburger, my ranking is
In n Out > Whataburger > P Terry's

To be fair I've only eaten at P Terry's once, but that one time it was incredibly bland. The banana bread was good, though.

Oh, one more thing. While I love In n Out, I certainly wouldn't wait 8 hours in line for it. He'll, there isnt any food on the planet that I'd wait 8 hours in line for.

Reactions: Lil_Train
To each his own. You know Californians will defend In-N-Out till death. It’s ok… but like a lot of things people talk it up so much that by the time you try it you’re disappointed.

This was referring to Panera Bread not In and Out.

I like In and Out. What’s P Terry’s?

Shake Shack makes a pretty great burger

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT