ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Next Big Thing for El Paso?

What will be El Paso's next big thing to come?

• State of the Art Aquarium

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Great Wolf Lodge / Other form of new waterpark

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • New Amusement Park

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • New Pro Team (pending Arena resolve)

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • IKEA / Other Large Retailer

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Other (fill in blank)

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
Japanese companies coming to EP and y’all still can’t get an HEB! Gachó Charles Butt!
I don’t understand why the Butt’s refuse to open HEB’s in EP. They have HEB’s in Lubbock, Midland, Laredo, Corpus and even Mexico, but not El Paso. The same goes for In and out burger. They have burger joints in all major TX cities, Abq. and Tucson but not El Paso. I don’t get it…makes no sense.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Cost to truck into El Paso is to expensive for them to make the profit margin they expect.
I can’t imagine it’s cheap to transport products to Midland, Lubbock and Albuquerque. Plus EP has a bigger population than these three places when you include LC and J town. I think they’re missing out on great business opportunities in EP.

Reactions: axingfools1
We cannot get HEB because of distribution routes. It does not make sense for their trucks to drive 8 hrs from San Antonio and turn around with an empty load.

Reactions: Dmanminer
" put El Paso on the map as a prime touring destination for the biggest national and international acts travelling the Southern U.S. and Northern Mexico region"

I love the optimism but no major act is stopping at Cohen for a performance. There are also no hotels in the area that would attract those types of talent. They should have figured out a way to make Duraguito or the Abraham Chavez renovation work. Our city is run by a bunch of headline chasers who do not think through the actual ramifications of any of their decisions.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I agree with your last two sentences, but "there are also no hotels in the area that would attract those types of talent" makes no sense. Major acts aren't deciding on where their tour will go based off whether they like the nearby hotels.

I agree with your last two sentences, but "there are also no hotels in the area that would attract those types of talent" makes no sense. Major acts aren't deciding on where their tour will go based off whether they like the nearby hotels.
To attract the biggest national entertainers include people traveling from other cities to see the show. They will need places to stay. Also if those acts have the choice of performing downtown and staying at the PDN or The Plaza or performing in the NE and staying at the Candlewood and Towneplace Suites....what do you think they choose?

Great idea to take it away from downtown.

Now can we fix our roads and get the city cleaned up too? Nobody wants to come to a trashed city in the desert.

Reactions: Lil_Train
City has bond elections for quality of life. The Northeast votes them down every time. Quality of life improvements are being done on the Northeast.🤨

Reactions: kickballpro
Based on their website, they cover most of their funding by "selling" VIP boxes. I cannot imagine any El Pasoan forking over $800,000 for a fire pit suite and you still have to buy tickets to every event.

Link

Reactions: axingfools1
Based on their website, they cover most of their funding by "selling" VIP boxes. I cannot imagine any El Pasoan forking over $800,000 for a fire pit suite and you still have to buy tickets to every event.

Link
Meta, Amazon, Foster, Hunt, de la Vega..I can imagine a few.

Reactions: techsloth
Meta, Amazon, Foster, Hunt, de la Vega..I can imagine a few.
Meta and Amazon are not contributing to local charities. They are opening data centers here, not headquarters.

Foster is married to De La Vega and they, along with the Hunts are heavily invested in Downtown and Southwest University Park, which is also used as a concert/entertainment venue when baseball season is over.

I think this is great and long overdue. We have clear weather most of the year. There are many musical acts that skipped EP because the Don's capacity and floor are too small. Since LC has retractable seats, they can fit larger stages without compromise the viewing capacity. Despite the Don being an 11k venue for basketball, it only holds 8k-ish and LC holds 10- 11k for concerts. 12.5k is going to be a nice revenue payout for acts when it's completed. I'm glad that portion of our concert revenue will be staying in town and not going to another city/county/state.

I think it's going to have great views during sunsets. The people that run this city are unusual incompetent but I think they got this one right for a change. Looking forward to this.

Reactions: techsloth
Meta and Amazon are not contributing to local charities. They are opening data centers here, not headquarters.

Foster is married to De La Vega and they, along with the Hunts are heavily invested in Downtown and Southwest University Park, which is also used as a concert/entertainment venue when baseball season is over.

Who is De La Vega??

I think this is great and long overdue. We have clear weather most of the year. There are many musical acts that skipped EP because the Don's capacity and floor are too small. Since LC has retractable seats, they can fit larger stages without compromise the viewing capacity. Despite the Don being an 11k venue for basketball, it only holds 8k-ish and LC holds 10- 11k for concerts. 12.5k is going to be a nice revenue payout for acts when it's completed. I'm glad that portion of our concert revenue will be staying in town and not going to another city/county/state.

I think it's going to have great views during sunsets. The people that run this city are unusual incompetent but I think they got this one right for a change. Looking forward to this.
What major events have gone to Las Cruces recently? I can’t think of any.

I hope this place has plenty of shade and protection from those famous El Paso winds.

What major events have gone to Las Cruces recently? I can’t think of any.

I hope this place has plenty of shade and protection from those famous El Paso winds.
You're right, it has been a while and I can't remember any at the moment but it was still the reason why concerts went over there over The Don

Reactions: KaneFan29

Yeah I dont know who that is. Did she go to Utep?
She owns the Juarez Bravos, Del Rio Convenience Stores in the state of Chihuahua, Superet Markets, Arco Gas Stations in Juarez as well as the El Paso Chihuahuas and EP Locomotive along with her husband. And yes I believe she did go to UTEP.

De la Vega didn’t go to UTEP. She graduated from Monterrey Tech.
Does La Vega donate to Utep
She owns the Juarez Bravos, Del Rio Convenience Stores in the state of Chihuahua, Superet Markets, Arco Gas Stations in Juarez as well as the El Paso Chihuahuas and EP Locomotive along with her husband. And yes I believe she did go to UTEP.
So who is richer her or Foster?

" put El Paso on the map as a prime touring destination for the biggest national and international acts travelling the Southern U.S. and Northern Mexico region"

I love the optimism but no major act is stopping at Cohen for a performance. There are also no hotels in the area that would attract those types of talent. They should have figured out a way to make Duraguito or the Abraham Chavez renovation work. Our city is run by a bunch of headline chasers who do not think through the actual ramifications of any of their decisions.
You are actually wrong on most of what you said. A. Big Acts will come or else they wouldn't be building it. I can guarantee a market study was already done along with potential concert types it will attract. 2. Amphitheater is the way to go for attracting large concert events. 3. There are a couple hotels right next to Cohen and the plan is to build more as part of the whole Cohen Entertainment area. It's a positive for El Paso, but of course people like yourself look towards the negatives which holds the Sun City back all these years!

You are actually wrong on most of what you said. A. Big Acts will come or else they wouldn't be building it. I can guarantee a market study was already done along with potential concert types it will attract. 2. Amphitheater is the way to go for attracting large concert events. 3. There are a couple hotels right next to Cohen and the plan is to build more as part of the whole Cohen Entertainment area. It's a positive for El Paso, but of course people like yourself look towards the negatives which holds the Sun City back all these years!
My daily life is spent growing and expanding El Paso to create a better life for everyone (even you Nattybry). My negative take on the amphitheater is a realistic one based on how our City Govt. literally chases the headline and then pushes the project aside letting it fail. I hope this project turns out to be a Class-A project and brings entertainers to El Paso that we have never been able to pull.

The hotels next to the project at the Candlewood and Towneplace Suites. Both are total dumps and not hotels that would be part of any major project like this. I know that a local developer was in talks to bring a high-end hotel to this project but the City was so difficult to work with that he terminated discussions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT