ADVERTISEMENT

OT: SDSU to PAC12?

what makes sense is for Utah, Colorado, and the two Arizona teams to creature a new conference with Boise State, SDSU, Frenso State, Air Force. Colorado State and Wyoming, Oregon State, and Washington State.
It would work ... split it into two divisions like north and south.
In other words the PAC12 should kick out Stanford, Cal, Oregon and Washington and replace them with SDSU, Boise St, Fresno St, AF, Colorado St, & Wyoming?!?

What about with UTEP? I don't know how UTEP being a "tier 1 research university" matches up with whatever their academic standards are. I mean, it would be very cool to be in a geographically fit conference with those four current PAC12 schools.
The 100% acceptance rate hurts utep. Utep is atleast improving academically.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
BSU and UTEP are the same.

Fresno is 250.

They're only the same because that site does not go past 331, so there's over 1000 schools tied with that number. The below site will give you a little bit better ranking because they actually rank schools below 331.

Reactions: JCorona
Sure, but come on. Washington and the other 9 schools are happy to replace USC and UCLA with SMU and Tulane? F outta here. If I were Utah, Colorado, and the Arizona schools, I would be calling the Big 12 until they take me.
PAC isn't adding mid majors just for the sake of expanding. These have nothing to do with "replacing" USC and UCLA. They have to backfill for the imminent defections so they can stay a p5 (have to have 10 schools minimum). Everyone is just waiting for the first shoe to drop.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
I got it. I know how Utep can get into the Pac 12. UTEP has to offer something to the Pac 12. Tell Oac 12 officials that Utep will be building a new Sun Bowl stadium, 90,000 seat stadium. Where will Utep be getting this money?? Jim Senter will get Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos to donate money to Utep to build the stadium. What does Utep/ El paso do for Musk or Bezos? Maybe El Paso can give Bezos/Musk a tax break to build a warehouse in El Paso? Man such a great idea. UTEP should hire me to be the AD.

PAC isn't adding mid majors just for the sake of expanding. These have nothing to do with "replacing" USC and UCLA. They have to backfill for the imminent defections so they can stay a p5 (have to have 10 schools minimum). Everyone is just waiting for the first shoe to drop.
Yes, I know that. I was just saying that the schools can’t be happy with replacing USC/UCLA with the likes of Tulane. That is why UofA/ASU/Colo/Utah should approach the Big 12.

There is no 10 school minimum requirement so they can stay P5. Please show me the rule that states so.

Conferences don’t want to drop too low, because that creates instability and fewer games for their media partners.

Yes, I know that. I was just saying that the schools can’t be happy with replacing USC/UCLA with the likes of Tulane. That is why UofA/ASU/Colo/Utah should approach the Big 12.

There is no 10 school minimum requirement so they can stay P5. Please show me the rule that states so.

Conferences don’t want to drop too low, because that creates instability and fewer games for their media partners.
Do you know? Because your next two sentences seem to indicate you don't. Colorado and the Arizonas don't care who the pac adds because they are leaving.

I couldn't find the 10 school minimum rule with a quick search, but that's conventional wisdom on most boards realignment discussions. Maybe it's urban legend, but I don't think so.

Do you know? Because your next two sentences seem to indicate you don't. Colorado and the Arizonas don't care who the pac adds because they are leaving.

I couldn't find the 10 school minimum rule with a quick search, but that's conventional wisdom on most boards realignment discussions. Maybe it's urban legend, but I don't think so.

Oh they’re leaving huh? If the Arizonas, Colorado, and Utah leaves, that only leaves them with 6. I don’t see how adding SMU, Tulane, and Rice helps them any. You’re going to have a conference with 6 teams from San Francisco to Seattle and then a huge gap to Dallas? Sure…….

There is very little conventional wisdom on realignment message boards. There is no rule that requires a P5 to have 10 teams. Having 10 or more teams is about having the ability to have a full round robin in football and having more inventory for TV. It is not a requirement like you claimed.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
SDSU is a shoe in for the Pac 12, and they would prefer to go there, but the Big 12 may be the better deal for them.

Sources inside say that if the Pac 12 media deal is not satisfactory, (and that deal keeps being pushed further and further which affects SDSU as they have to pay 32 million in exit fees rather than 16 if they announce after June 30th), SDSU may join the Big 12.

Hence why they are asking for a 1 month extension, to see what the Pac 12 negotiates in their deal. If it is not big enough you may see Colorado leave as well as Arizona and Arizona State for the Big 12. Then the question arises: Does the Big 12 really want SDSU or SMU anymore?

A lot is riding on the media deal for the Pac 12, which wants to be heavily reliant on a streaming partner. ESPN is offering much lower money than the Big 12 deal that is in place.

This is going to get interesting as a lot of dominoes are going to fall as it all depends on the media deal.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Big 12 wouldn't gain anything from adding SMU but I think SMU could easily be an add for the PAC.
I don’t get it. Not sure why the Pac 12 would take them either. Hard to believe tv partners would give the Pac 12 more money to include them.

I could see why the Pac 12 thinks that’s a good idea and I could see why P12 coaches would want them, but find it laughable that Arizona is going to be in a league with SMU.

I don’t get it. Not sure why the Pac 12 would take them either. Hard to believe tv partners would give the Pac 12 more money to include them.

I could see why the Pac 12 thinks that’s a good idea and I could see why P12 coaches would want them, but find it laughable that Arizona is going to be in a league with SMU.
They are a religious school and they don't have AAU academics. So you're right, not a good fit. But the PAC will have to find creative options to stay alive if they start bleeding schools. Tulane, SMU, Rice, SDSU aren't the greatest options but it's what the PAC might have to do to survive. Options are limited out west. Anyone else is in the MWC and has terrible academics (in comparison to the rest of the PAC).

UMASS adds nothing and why would you not require UCONN basketball?

Not that either would want into CUSA anyways.
UMass would 100% accept a football only invite. They would rather remain in the A10 for other sports though. They’re a valuable school with basketball, even though they have sucked for years. The MAC kicked them out because they wouldn’t accept an all sports invite. There is no benefit to either the MAC or CUSA to bring on their horrible football team.

UConn would rather plan an independent schedule than join CUSA (or MAC) for football only. CUSA has zero shot at ever getting their basketball team. UConn left the AAC because their opponents weren’t desirable. They’re sure as f*ck not slumming it with UTEP and Sam Houston on their schedule every year.

UMASS adds nothing and why would you not require UCONN basketball?

Not that either would want into CUSA anyways.
UMASS brings the Boston market. I would allow them to just join for football if they agree to do a home and home deal for Basketball. Same with UCONN. They could stay in the crappy Big East and A10

UMASS brings the Boston market. I would allow them to just join for football if they agree to do a home and home deal for Basketball. Same with UCONN. They could stay in the crappy Big East and A10
A home/home with every school in C-USA? Right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT