ADVERTISEMENT

OT: SDSU to PAC12?

Big 12 wouldn't gain anything from adding SMU but I think SMU could easily be an add for the PAC.
Initially I thought this as well, but more and more that I am reading is that the boosters are really coming up with the NIL money to get top athletes, hence do legally what they did illegally when they were a powerhouse before being given the death penalty. It is said that they are paying football and basketball players $36,000 a year, and that is just the beginning, as their top athletes are making more.

The word is that in the short term it does not help besides the Dallas market, but in the next 10 years, they are saying that SMU is going to build a really top tier program due to all the money coming in.

If you look at the top recruits, they are starting to name SMU along with the other top programs now. I see a big shift here, as they have a lot of deep pockets.

Initially I thought this as well, but more and more that I am reading is that the boosters are really coming up with the NIL money to get top athletes, hence do legally what they did illegally when they were a powerhouse before being given the death penalty. It is said that they are paying football and basketball players $36,000 a year, and that is just the beginning, as their top athletes are making more.

The word is that in the short term it does not help besides the Dallas market, but in the next 10 years, they are saying that SMU is going to build a really top tier program due to all the money coming in.

If you look at the top recruits, they are starting to name SMU along with the other top programs now. I see a big shift here, as they have a lot of deep pockets.
The Pac 10 adding SMU is no different than CUSA adding FIU 10 years ago. They’re being added for their location, with the illusion that TV viewers in those cities will turn on the tv when they play conference games.

Most intelligent people know this is bullshit. Random sports fans in Dallas will never care about SMU. Inner city kids don’t grow up dreaming about playing for the Ponies. Their games are lowly attended, even when they have good teams. When Oregon St and Cal come to town, it won’t be any different.

With the huge difference being that FIU has never been the powerhouse SMU used to be.

With the huge difference being that FIU has never been the powerhouse SMU used to be.
SMU hasn’t won a conference title since 1984 and they’ve been a middling program in the WAC, CUSA, and AAC since then. As a UTEP fan, you should be well aware that being good in the 80s, doesn’t mean shit today.

SMU basketball hasn’t won a NCAA tournament game since 1988 and have only been 3 times since then. They f*cking suck. The only difference between them and us, is their location.

SMU hasn’t won a conference title since 1984 and they’ve been a middling program in the WAC, CUSA, and AAC since then. As a UTEP fan, you should be well aware that being good in the 80s, doesn’t mean shit today.

SMU basketball hasn’t won a NCAA tournament game since 1988 and have only been 3 times since then. They f*cking suck. The only difference between them and us, is their location.

Only thing I disagree with is saying that history means nothing. I'll agree that it is less relevant to today's recruits but history will always mean something to someone.

Only thing I disagree with is saying that history means nothing. I'll agree that it is less relevant to today's recruits but history will always mean something to someone.
I didn’t really say that. History means something for those that coached/played/fanned during those games/era. It does not mean anything to current recruits, college administrators, and tv networks.

About 20 years ago, UTEP was “on the rise” because both teams were doing well and fan support was at its best. Might as well have been 60 years ago the way college athletics has become.

Nice time to be a UTEP fan, pretty much the complete opposite of what it’s like today.

All that matters to recruits is how much they are going to get paid. SMU is now ranked in the top 15 in pay per player. Money can change a program very fast. It doesn't matter about history. With that much money being put up by the collective, SMU is going to compete very quickly.

Again, I reiterated short term SMU is not a great fit, but long term with the money being poured in it is a better long term fit. It is obvious that they care about winning by the booster money, and you can't tell me a winning team doesn't change everything.

All that matters to recruits is how much they are going to get paid. SMU is now ranked in the top 15 in pay per player. Money can change a program very fast. It doesn't matter about history. With that much money being put up by the collective, SMU is going to compete very quickly.

Again, I reiterated short term SMU is not a great fit, but long term with the money being poured in it is a better long term fit. It is obvious that they care about winning by the booster money, and you can't tell me a winning team doesn't change everything.

Money helps get better recruits, but they have had money since the beginning of time. If they join the Pac 12, their nearest conference mate will be 1,000 miles away and most of their games will be played two time zones away.

No matter how good SMU might get, it won’t change the fact that Dallas still won’t give a rip about them. It costs $61k a year to attend SMU, about $20k more than the national average. Middle class and lower class kids don’t dream about going there.

SMU is a poor fit and desperate attempt for the Pac 12 to stay afloat.

SMU booster pool must have some of the best used car salesmen around.

SMU booster pool must have some of the best used car salesmen around.
Any different than some of the Miner fans that still trumpet "66" and "92" and Mike Price in football? Sad difference is that they are getting the money and getting the players to back it up.

Just like SDSU in basketball that was years in the making, SMU is going to get into the larger playoff when it expands, mark my words. Their commits are getting better each year, as they have the best class in the AAC and are ranked in the top 50 nationally. Secondly, they are ranked 12th in transfers.

A look at their schedule in a couple of years shows a real potential to run the table. In 2027 they have OU on the schedule, but otherwise their future schedule does not show any games that are not winnable.

Their win total is already 8.5 this year in Vegas. I would say in 2 years if you get anything over 40 to 1, lay some money on them in the CFP.

Another tip, lay money on SDSU in basketball at 100 to 1. Another Elite 8 team, and from there who knows? This team is just as good if not better than last year. May not appear until the end of the season, but by that time they will be a complete team.

Any different than some of the Miner fans that still trumpet "66" and "92" and Mike Price in football? Sad difference is that they are getting the money and getting the players to back it up.

Just like SDSU in basketball that was years in the making, SMU is going to get into the larger playoff when it expands, mark my words. Their commits are getting better each year, as they have the best class in the AAC and are ranked in the top 50 nationally. Secondly, they are ranked 12th in transfers.

A look at their schedule in a couple of years shows a real potential to run the table. In 2027 they have OU on the schedule, but otherwise their future schedule does not show any games that are not winnable.

Their win total is already 8.5 this year in Vegas. I would say in 2 years if you get anything over 40 to 1, lay some money on them in the CFP.

Another tip, lay money on SDSU in basketball at 100 to 1. Another Elite 8 team, and from there who knows? This team is just as good if not better than last year. May not appear until the end of the season, but by that time they will be a complete team.
I'm not arguing. SMU has always had boosters with deep pockets willing to support their sports programs. There's a reason they were a top 5 football program in the early '80s.

They're not a particularly elite academic school (compared to, say, Rice), and they're not a flagship state school like UT-Austin or Michigan with scores of alumni. And yet they seem to have no shortage of sweet booster cash to support their sports programs. It must be either Texas oil money or else SMU churns out some of the most successful auto dealers around. (I say auto dealers because that's the stereotypical "bag man":
https://www.bannersociety.com/2014/4/10/20703758/bag-man-paying-college-football-players
and SMU always seems to have the best bag men around. Do you have a better explanation?)

Reactions: Rocketsr
6k7y36.gif

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Sounds like SDSU got that month extension they wanted. They are only on the hook for the 17 million, instead of the 34 million if they get an invite in the next month. If not, they can fight this out in court which will take forever as SDSU gets an injunction to stay. They will also get their 6 million dollar payout in July which they would not have received otherwise.

And for those that think the MWC has an ironclad case: The offer to leave was contingent on 2 to 3 conditions, and the MWC rejected that offer, and they may be in breach of the contract as they are withholding money to a member school. This can be fought out in court while SDSU remains in the conference buying their time until they leave.

Either way, SDSU will get their extension that they needed to see what the Media Deal is going to be. This looks like it was almost planned by SDSU knowing where the dominos would fall.

The reason for the raise in the exit fee is the fact that the tv deal can be renegotiated and without SDSU, that deal is going to be a lot less.

Below is a good article that reiterates what I just said:

Last edited:
I wish UTEP were the same not so hot commodity!
If only school President Heather Wilson and athletic director Jim Senter put in the effort to upgrade their athletic facilities, then there is a shot. They still have not upgraded the arena/ field lighting , even if that means retrofit just the lights (keeping the old poles) at the Sun Bowl.

That is one way to look at it. The other is that SDSU got the month extension they needed. Both of the moves, SDSU's and the MW are politically motivated. MW could not give SDSU openly an extension as that would be political suicide for the new commissioner, AD's and presidents across the conference.

SDSU's De la torre knew this before she sent the request. She had a different outcome in mind. She initiated a process by which the MW could grant SDSU an extension without having to say so publicly.

Here is how that plays out.

If SDSU is invited to the Pac-12 as expected but after this upcoming week, it will notify the MW that it agrees with the conference’s interpretation of the original letter. Should the Aztecs fail to land an invite, the MW will accept SDSU’s version. In either result, everyone involved will save face. It is a textbook political decision.

Why would the MW be willing to work with SDSU in facilitating its move to a new conference?

College football’s landscape is far from settled. Another wave of conference realignment is coming in the next 5-15 years. No university wants to burn bridges with SDSU because the Aztecs are going to be in a better position to influence the future shape of collegiate athletics on the west coast moving forward.

It is in SDSU’s interest to avoid paying an extra $17 million in exit fees, but when that sum is divided among the remaining 11 teams, it is only an extra $1.5 million for each school. It would require years of litigation to recoup that paltry amount, and that would erode the proceeds even further.

The MW knew this before it sent its reply that reportedly denied SDSU’s request for an extra month while paradoxically also accepting the Aztecs’ resignation. How the conference could deny an extension while also saying SDSU informed them of leaving is impossible, but those details do not matter as much as the optics that they were tough on SDSU.

This is just savvy political moves from both sides.

UTEP has to find a way to get into the MWC (or AAC). Come on Wilson! Let's get it together

Your quote is very telling in that you didn't include the Athletic Director.. I have to agree with you, but, I don't see the President helping much in this either. I haven't seen anything that shows me the school is proactive in keeping up and improving the athletic program.

i have to agree with you Centex. I am frustrated and upset with the athletic program for not doing anything to improve their situation.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Your quote is very telling in that you didn't include the Athletic Director.. I have to agree with you, but, I don't see the President helping much in this either. I haven't seen anything that shows me the school is proactive in keeping up and improving the athletic program.
Because they don’t

i have to agree with you Centex. I am frustrated and upset with the athletic program for not doing anything to improve their situation.
Some of you guys are delusional. The AAC has all of the Sun Belt to pick from before UTEP. UTEP isn’t joining the AAC, that ship has sailed.

Like I have said, the MWC is only taking UTEP if they lose a bunch of teams OR UTEP has a Gonzaga type basketball run of dominance and/or has Boise St type football run of dominance from 10-15 years ago. With the Gonzaga/Boise success being almost impossible to achieve.

So sit back and enjoy LaTech and MTSU while you can. It’s only going to get worse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT