ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is this all about?

He must have done something very bad to get blacklisted at UTEP.

He has over 50,000 tweets. And I thought I spent too much time on Twitter.

Last edited:
Going through his tweets, dude is a fan. Like a huge fan. I'm sure something happened that made him feel slighted.

Reactions: MistaBinks
The guy's a tool. He blocks people left and right when they don't go all in with agreeing with him. I was blocked some time ago and I really don't ever remember commenting.
As for his post towards UTEP, lord only knows what's up his ass now. They should block him. :)

The guy's a tool. He blocks people left and right when they don't go all in with agreeing with him. I was blocked some time ago and I really don't ever remember commenting.
As for his post towards UTEP, lord only knows what's up his ass now. They should block him. :)

I blocked him a while ago, not because I disagreed with him or anything. It’s just that any time I searched “UTEP” on twitter all his tweets came up. I don’t know, this guy doesn’t seem like he’s playing with a full deck of cards.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
I find this guy overbearing just my two cents.

I think everyone on this board are big time Miner fans. But with that being said, this dude seems like he needs to get a life. He seems like the type of person that goes out of his way to talk to anyone associated with UTEP. If this was the 80’s I could see this guy going up to Hulk Hogan or some other dumb wrestler in some diner and yapping their ear off. And you could picture them going “It’s too early for this shit.....”

Minero is a friend of mine. He is very close UTEP sports and the university. He and his mother love UTEP more than most people love their own parents and are graduates of UTEP. They are at football practices supporting the players in heat and cold. His mother raised him alone under the toughest of circumstances. They are UTEP maniacs in every sense of the word. UTEP athletic staff and a player here and there make a not so nice comment about them and he let's them know on social media. I will say this, he and his mother are way more loyal fans than I am.

If this was in Norman, Oklahoma, this would be normal. They are not rich people. Why is is okay for a mega rich donor to throw millions at at a major revenue program just to say "yeah, I told A.D. so n' so they better get rid of [HC coaches name goes here]"? Because it happens "out of sight and out of mind" and doesn't inconvenience the fans and D1 collegiate athletics is a pay to play cartel, a currently legal cartel, but a cartel none the less. Minero and his mother are in the staffs sights and minds and it is inconvenient for the UTEP staff sometimes.

Reactions: kickballpro
Minero is a friend of mine. He is very close UTEP sports and the university. He and his mother love UTEP more than most people love their own parents and are graduates of UTEP. They are at football practices supporting the players in heat and cold. His mother raised him alone under the toughest of circumstances. They are UTEP maniacs in every sense of the word. UTEP athletic staff and a player here and there make a not so nice comment about them and he let's them know on social media. I will say this, he and his mother are way more loyal fans than I am.

If this was in Norman, Oklahoma, this would be normal. They are not rich people. Why is is okay for a mega rich donor to throw millions at at a major revenue program just to say "yeah, I told A.D. so n' so they better get rid of [HC coaches name goes here]"? Because it happens "out of sight and out of mind" and doesn't inconvenience the fans and D1 collegiate athletics is a pay to play cartel, a currently legal cartel, but a cartel none the less. Minero and his mother are in the staffs sights and minds and it is inconvenient for the UTEP staff sometimes.

Thanks for the perspective. This certainly isn’t a knock on your friend’s character but with his tweet and your input...I’d say, if they are “in the staff’s sights and minds and it is inconvenient for the UTEP staff”, perhaps they should back off...being that they are such loyal fans.

Last edited:
Thanks for the perspective. This certainly isn’t a knock on your friend’s character but with his tweet and your input...I’d say, if they are “in the staff’s sights and minds and it is inconvenient for the UTEP staff”, perhaps they should back off...being that they are such loyal fans.
Yes. They pose no risk or threat. They wear their UTEP colors every where they go. Sometime to some at UTEP (players or staff) it is uncomfortable to them. ["Why are they always here?" "I always see them at practice and every game" "They are weird and not typical"]

dissonantcongitions-550x202.jpg

No. They love UTEP and UTEP has made their life better.

I think 2step hit it on the head. The big schools have hundreds or thousands of fans like Mineros, but UTEP doesn't and so he sticks out like a sore thumb.

UTEP seems to want it's cake and eat it too. Have a super fan who invests heavily in your (let's be objective) bad product, but have him off to the side at the same time. I'm sorry, but super fans can be overbearing. Just be thankful someone is willing to give you thousands of dollars when most El Pasoans won't go for free.

I get the super fan thing. Whatever. But at the same time you have to know and respect other peoples’ limits as well. Because as much as we want to say that bigger schools have rabid psychopath fans too, that doesn’t justify their crazy behavior whenever they cross the line.

With that being said, I’ve never met this dude but if he’s off putting to some people within the program maybe he should look at what he’s doing. And if he’s wrong, then fix it. If not? Then it’s on the university.

I get the super fan thing. Whatever. But at the same time you have to know and respect other peoples’ limits as well. Because as much as we want to say that bigger schools have rabid psychopath fans too, that doesn’t justify their crazy behavior whenever they cross the line.

With that being said, I’ve never met this dude but if he’s off putting to some people within the program maybe he should look at what he’s doing. And if he’s wrong, then fix it. If not? Then it’s on the university.

This is also true. Super fans cross the line a lot and it doesn't have to be tolerated if he is going too far.

Reactions: John 100
This is also true. Super fans cross the line a lot and it doesn't have to be tolerated if he is going too far.

And it’s like Utep2Step said. He is obviously obsessed with UTEP athletics... so good on him. But if people want space give them space. You know?

Why is it okay to take a selfie, but not get someone’s autograph? Some people on here blast “Chihuahuas” for seeking out autographs, but this guy and his mom can get selfies with any UTEP person? Isn’t it the same thing?

Yes. They pose no risk or threat. They wear their UTEP colors every where they go. Sometime to some at UTEP (players or staff) it is uncomfortable to them. ["Why are they always here?" "I always see them at practice and every game" "They are weird and not typical"]

dissonantcongitions-550x202.jpg

No. They love UTEP and UTEP has made their life better.

They pose no risk? How do you know that? Wasn’t Selena killled by her fan club manager? There are several celebrities that have restraining orders against fans that are equally “obsessed” as this guy and his mom. This guy should get a life or job. The fact that he attendeds all the practices, leads me to believe he has neither.

If the university has an issue with this gentleman being at practices or whatever else he is doing that may be infringing upon the program, they need to politely make it clear to him what is and what is not acceptable so that he can discontinue his actions. For instance, if practices are "closed door" then it ought to be enforced. I do not know this person nor do I have any idea what happened in this scenario, but UTEP should make some boundaries if they're taking issue and enforce them. I would imagine most schools don't have practices that are open to the public but I could be wrong.

If someone from the program approached him and said, "Hey, we appreciate your support and love your enthusiasm, but we simply cannot allow fans to be present during these times of practice, or to pose for pictures with players, or whatever it is, because we need our players and coaching staff to have 100% focus during these moments. We are thankful to you as a fan and hope that you will understand," I think a true fan would realize what the boundaries are and respect the request.

Honestly, y'all are making a lot of assumptions and speculation over some obscure tweet.

With that being said-- if utep2step is friends with the guy, then we definitely know he ain't right...

j/k ;)

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
Honestly, y'all are making a lot of assumptions and speculation over some obscure tweet.

With that being said-- if utep2step is friends with the guy, then we definitely know he ain't right...

j/k ;)

No assumptions are being made. This guy loves UTEP football players more than most people love their own parents (according to his friend utep2step). I am not surprised that UTEP players and coaches don't like his presence (considering he is at every practice).

Being obsessed with anything is not good.

Fair point. I don’t know if I’m getting wiser, or if I’m losing testosterone at an alarming rate, but I can’t bring myself to be one of those annoying mega fans that lives and dies with every game, constantly screaming and stressing myself out. And being around those people really is a drain on life.

That's when you know there is a problem.
And I suppose with some SEC and Big XII it's just being normal? I have a family member that was buried in an OU coffin with a signed football from Bob Stoops. Not a cross (not a crucifix, he was not catholic), not a picture of his daughter and wife, but that stuff.

And EMA884, it happened recently. Second, during the Price tenure there were fans and bloggers at every practice and hanging out to talk with players. Price welcomed it. That's the difference, if legal (which Minero is doing because it is a public state property), Price had an open arms philosophy towards the community. Third, during the BG days fans knew where he hung out, what drink he had and knew which waitress he was flirting with. Fans on here would report player misbehavior on here before anyone knew.

Which dovetails to my point. Minero is targeted, whether he is aware of it not, because UTEP does not want anyone, fan or not, to have access to information, player or recruit they do not need to know, can not know, not know as of the current time or whatever. UTEP does not want someone there with there smartphone videoing away.

The history of UTEP athletics and it's problem with public domain social sites, (local) reporters, fans and even their own employees regarding control of UTEP sports news, information and what they consider supports goes back years. I remember a story years ago of a former UTEP football staff try to intimidate one person from the media to the infamous public and disgraceful spectacle by Tim Floyd ambushing Kappy from ESPN Big 600; and every single damn time UTEP athletics comes out looking bad.

For years I thought it was the media being unfair at often times to UTEP athletics. Too harsh, unaware of college athletic realities, just former writers who couldn't make the high school team so beat and opinion writing was the next best option. While there is a hint of truth to this, IMO, UTEP has gone border line gestapo at times when there is no reason to take that road. I've seen it, been told personal testimony on it (public and by local media over the years) and while I am optimistic after a year under the Senter administration, this is tiny side story that can blow up in their face, again, when it doesn't have to happen. There are no closed practices this time of year at the Sun Bowl unless UTEP is in a bowl, which is like a small water pond in Death Valley, it happens, but rarely. And if there are recruits on the field while he and his mother are there what's the big deal? Dimel and Canales bringing in 4 or 5 stars from Houston/Galveston or Dallas/Fort Worth?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, 2step, but in all fairness, you are too close to one side of this story. While I don't know Joe at all, I have seen MANY instances where his behavior on twitter borders irrational. He and his family are obvious fans, but that never gives anyone the right to go over the top. Hell, I would say the same about Ed Davis, Maynard Haddad, etc.
UTEP, or any university, is under no obligation to allow all access to any fan or ex player. Approach things properly, and I'm positive things are handled differently. Hell dude, I have been told directly that my 6 year old son and I are welcome anytime to watch a practice, not because I am a big donor, but because we are fans. (cuz bro, I ain't got no money)

Please don't blindly support family or friends. They too can be wrong. (certain members of my family are idiots....then again I am too!)

utep2step, I read what you wrote and find it interesting. Why do you figure UTEP is tighter or less open to the public and media than other universities might be? You mentioned other personal testimony that has been told to you in the past, are you able to share anything on here?

And I suppose with some SEC and Big XII it's just being normal? I have a family member that was buried in an OU coffin with a signed football from Bob Stoops. Not a cross (not a crucifix, he was not catholic), not a picture of his daughter and wife, but that stuff.

Maybe it was a joke and his family thought it was funny to do that. I don't know. Was that guy at every OU practice and tweeted 50,000 times? Don't think so.

I think both sides are right. UTEP does act like the hermit kingdom to it's own detriment. We've seen it. We've seen UTEP freeze out media, we've seen UTEP do poor fan service.

But yeah, too much is too much sometimes, and it's not bad to have some boundaries.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT