ADVERTISEMENT

Pac12 not dead?

"The top replacement targets, from what I was hearing yesterday, are likely to be New Mexico State and UTEP, both currently in Conference USA. Both schools, I’m told, signed a Grant of Rights Agreement, but if the MWC can offer a better broadcast deal, I’m told the buyout isn’t expected to be so high as to prevent any schools from leaving the league (especially if the two schools don’t leave until 2026)..."

It doesn’t matter if they did or not. The conference will add someone when it is beneficial to them. Do you think Texas A&M wanted Texas in the SEC? No, but Texas is there now because it benefits the conference. Florida would accept Florida St/Miami into the SEC and South Carolina would accept Clemson there too. If/when that time comes.

UTEP will be invited to the MWC if it’s beneficial to the conference, no matter what UNM or others think about UTEP/El Paso.
What many forget is that those talks were so hush, hush TAMU didn't know until it happened.

1000% not happening. Florida St and Clemson can’t even get out of the ACC GOR, but Cal and Stanford can? LMAO
Yeah agree I think that guy is a funny satire type of reporter. Cal and Stanford already signed the by laws. They’d have to go to court to avoid paying hundreds of millions of dollars. Maybe they should’ve just chilled out a little longer, but it was probably the right move at the time Financially speaking.

Reactions: KaneFan29
Yeah agree I think that guy is a funny satire type of reporter. Cal and Stanford already signed the by laws. They’d have to go to court to avoid paying hundreds of millions of dollars. Maybe they should’ve just chilled out a little longer, but it was probably the right move at the time Financially speaking.
Even though it’s nonsensical, they absolutely did the right thing. They’re in a power league with big money. Rebuilding the Pac12 with MWC teams was an option last year too. They could have remained with WSU and OSU and added the same 4 MWC teams along with whoever else they get.

Yes it's satire but based on social media hullabaloo.

By the time we make it to the MW, it’ll probably be on par with or even below CUSA in terms of teams and TV revenue. Honestly, CUSA might come out ahead once they’ve dumped the dead weight... aka us.
They might, but at least we’re won’t be in a conference with FIU and Delaware. UTEP doesn’t belong in a conference with schools from Florida, Georgia, Virginia, and Delaware.

CUSA will suck with or without UTEP. They would just replace us with Tarleton St or Austin Peay. Which would be the same teams they would replace LaTech or WKU with, except we would be stuck playing them.

By the time we make it to the MW, it’ll probably be on par with or even below CUSA in terms of teams and TV revenue. Honestly, CUSA might come out ahead once they’ve dumped the dead weight... aka us.
CUSA could possibly get raided (again) too. If the PAC invites some of those AAC schools, WKU, MTSU and others may go bye bye. So with that in mind, MWC would still be better for UTEP in the long run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT