ADVERTISEMENT

Portal strikes again. Onyema enters

You know I dont have a problem with Z leaving. If a big man was transferring here to Utep avg 4 rebounds a game, people here would be trashing Golding. He started 31 games and only once he played over 30 minutes. Only twice he had a double double. Let's also not forget he isnt a good free throw shooter. People say he plays with lots if energy, but avg 4 rebounds a game is not a good stat for a starting big man.

You know I dont have a problem with Z leaving. If a big man was transferring here to Utep avg 4 rebounds a game, people here would be trashing Golding. He started 31 games and only once he played over 30 minutes. Only twice he had a double double. Let's also not forget he isnt a good free throw shooter. People say he plays with lots if energy, but avg 4 rebounds a game is not a good stat for a starting big man.
His best seasons in CUSA were still to come. He was definitely gonna be counted on to be a big contributor this upcoming season. If Golding can upgrade then fine, but at this rate it's not happening.

His best seasons in CUSA were still to come. He was definitely gonna be counted on to be a big contributor this upcoming season. If Golding can upgrade then fine, but at this rate it's not happening.
He is in his 3rd season already. If he was going to improve it would've been last year. He is basically a junior.

Reactions: shyminer81
He is in his 3rd season already. If he was going to improve it would've been last year. He is basically a junior.
Fili might be right. Soloman was our best big man with much better stats than Z. Elijah Jones has similar stats to Soloman and will be a good add next season.
We really need a good center. I think we'll be OK in the guard and forward department.

Fili might be right. Soloman was our best big man with much better stats than Z. Elijah Jones has similar stats to Soloman and will be a good add next season.
We really need a good center. I think we'll be OK in the guard and forward department.
Out guards su k

Elijah Jones didn't play for ECU last year. He redshirted and transferred mid year to UTEP. He will have four years of eligibility.

Reactions: groundrounds
I thought the pinned portal thread, was going to be getting these posts??

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
So spot on, you are onto something, everything should be posted appropriately, all these losers don't know how to organize threads!

Idea for the board, lets create say 25-40 pinned threads each user must post their response in the appropriate folder or get banned for a minimum of the next 2 football or mens basketball games. Threads would be:

UTEP Administration
Dana Dimel & Staff
UTEP Football
Joe Golding & Staff
UTEP Men's Basketball
Sun Bowl
Don Haskins Center
All Other UTEP Facilities
UTEP Opponents (C-USA Only) - One for Football, one for men's basketball, and one for all other sports
UTEP Opponents (Non-Conference) - same 3 different groupings
UTEP Football Recruiting
College Football Recruiting (Non-Portal)
UTEP Men's Basketball Recruiting
College Basketball Recruiting (Non-Portal)
UTEP Women's Basketball Recruiting
All Other UTEP Recruiting (Golf, Tennis, Rifle, Cross Country, Track, Volleyball, Soccer, Softball, etc)
All Other Women's Sports
Football Portal (Non-UTEP)
Basketball Portal (Non-UTEP)
Football Portal (UTEP)
Basketball Portal (UTEP)
Women's Basketball
All Other UTEP Sports
Former UTEP Coaches
Former UTEP Players (Not in a Professional League)
Former UTEP Players in a Professional League (US Based Only)
Former UTEP Players in a Professional Leage (Non US Based League)
Active Game Thread
General Sports (Collegiate Level)
General Sports (Professional Level)
Completely Off-Topic

Of course Mods can pin as many threads as needed and add as required

We can get like 10-20 mods to be active at all times to answer questions to maintain consistency and they can organize and relocate threads as required. No post can be active until reviewed and properly organized by a Mod.
For example a Mod's role would answer:
A post about Kevin Baker, does that go under Women's Basketball or Former Coaches - a mod would know
A post about Quincy McGriff - Is he former player, UTEP basketball or Portal news? - again Mod to help
If I wanted to comment about Kimani Jones-Young, would that be General Sports (Collegiate Level) or former player

I really, really think doing this would make this board so efficient and encourage fans to want to join conversations.

O will be coming off the bench to provide needed minutes at Texas and strength. He will be the strongest on the team but his skill set is still lacking in one of the toughest, if not toughest, basketball conferences last year.

With NMSU in near shambles and FAU and UNT gone, O would have lit up revamped CUSA 5.0, but oh well?! Only CUSA team that I could have seen to give him trouble was Liberty.

Last edited:
O will be coming off the bench to provide needed minutes at Texas and strength. He will be the strongest on the team but his skill set is still lacking in one of the toughest, if not toughest, basketball conference last year.

With NMSU is near shambles and FAU and UNT gone, O would have lit up revamped CUSA 5.0, but oh well?! Only CUSA team that I could have seen to give him trouble was Liberty.
I can't imagine him committing to UT now. Still disgusted with Golding for not even attempting to keep him. I'm done with him...

• Haha
Reactions: nattybry
How do we know the attempt wasn’t made. Everyone transfers these days. I guess it the “cool” thing to do.
It was mentioned here (not sure which thread) that the coaching staff was caught off guard by Z's decision, but that also nobody had sat down with him to discuss his future, assess his plans or even try and ensure that he would stay.

I understand that players will do what they do. I dont blame him for transferring if he thinks that is the best move, however having an oblivious coaching staff is irritating (especially if they are not replacing players.) For all I know the not talking part is rumor. ESPN 600 reported that the decision was 'independent' and the being 'caught off guard' part makes me think it's true.

It was mentioned here (not sure which thread) that the coaching staff was caught off guard by Z's decision, but that also nobody had sat down with him to discuss his future, assess his plans or even try and ensure that he would stay.

I understand that players will do what they do. I dont blame him for transferring if he thinks that is the best move, however having an oblivious coaching staff is irritating (especially if they are not replacing players.) For all I know the not talking part is rumor. ESPN 600 reported that the decision was 'independent' and the being 'caught off guard' part makes me think it's true.

Coaching Staff was caught off guard because there was no indication of either side wanting to move on during the end of season exit interviews.

Coaching Staff was caught off guard because there was no indication of either side wanting to move on during the end of season exit interviews.
Good point. I do think Z planned on being a Miner throughout his career. I think it has everything to do with somebody(s) getting in his ear since the exit interviews. Enticing him with P5 talk and the $ that can typically come along with it in this day and age. Hard to blame anybody except the system in place.

Well this would make more sense then if true. Do you have some insight, or is this what the coach said on ESPN 600?

End of season exit interviews is dumb. Whatever is said in end of season interviews cant be held seriously. Players minds change daily.

Reactions: kickballpro
What's up with the $400,000 was talked about on Sports talk specifically for Men's Basketball??? I was told there was something like that in the works, but haven't heard much since. Not sure if anyone knows if that's still a thing?

Reactions: kickballpro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT