ADVERTISEMENT

Portal strikes again. Onyema enters

They talked about the NIL that UTEP will have in place this season but I must have missed the number.
$400,000 was the number thrown out there, but could be all talk. Until I see it or hear it out in action to bring in some quality players it's all farting in the wind. Was just hoping someone has heard more on this.

Was $400k the total amount? If so, they're not using half of it on Onyema. I'd guess about 10% is available in a given year to ensure it stays viable. That would make max $40k available. If you wanted to use that to attract a legit starting 5 you'd pay each $8k a year. Tark's guys would get that handed to them in case after a single game 30 years ago. I don't see this moving the needle.

It might actually be better to shoot the wad in one season and get a couple dominating players for one year, make the tourney, and see if that doesn't make people open their pocketbooks to keep them around for another run. If not then there's no point pretending anymore.

Was $400k the total amount? If so, they're not using half of it on Onyema. I'd guess about 10% is available in a given year to ensure it stays viable. That would make max $40k available. If you wanted to use that to attract a legit starting 5 you'd pay each $8k a year. Tark's guys would get that handed to them in case after a single game 30 years ago. I don't see this moving the needle.

It might actually be better to shoot the wad in one season and get a couple dominating players for one year, make the tourney, and see if that doesn't make people open their pocketbooks to keep them around for another run. If not then there's no point pretending anymore.
My understanding was that the ~$400K would be available on a yearly basis. A tiered level of payout would be used. For instance a starter level guy could get somewhere in the range of $60 - $70K for the year. In comparison, UNM had a $500K NIL in place last year, with some guys getting in the range of six figures. So, it sounds like the UTEP NIL collective would allow us to be competitive. If this is accurate, the lack of early recruiting returns on the part of Golding and company is concerning.

My understanding was that the ~$400K would be available on a yearly basis. A tiered level of payout would be used. For instance a starter level guy could get somewhere in the range of $60 - $70K for the year. In comparison, UNM had a $500K NIL in place last year, with some guys getting in the range of six figures. So, it sounds like the UTEP NIL collective would allow us to be competitive. If this is accurate, the lack of early recruiting returns on the part of Golding and company is concerning.
Oof, if that is true. Golding should be let go after next season (unless he miraculously wins). He and his coaching staff have done an awful job since losing Souley Boum and company.

Reactions: shyminer81
Oof, if that is true. Golding should be let go after next season (unless he miraculously wins). He and his coaching staff have done an awful job since losing Souley Boum and company.
Maybe Golding is trying to be very selective with the last couple of spots, which makes sense. The issue is that outside of Hicks, most of the guys they have been linked to look more like role players. Golding needs a starting level guy at the point for sure, or he is looking at a defensive minded freshman starter. Also, does he really think Hamilton can provide 20-25 productive minutes? I guess he figures Kalu will morph into BW offensively over the summer. Realistically, being so low on the conference food chain is tough. It may be more a situation where we will be left choosing out of the group that is leftover in terms of D1 transfers.

Coach Golding, what is your response?

"So we're looking for team first guys, Right" not me first guys, right. It's just what, it is man and we have to evolve with it, right. Man, I know Miner fans wanna win now, right and trust me man I wanna win more than anything you feel me.... At the end of the day we want guys who want to be here, right and this university and it's tradition speak for itself right... So we're gonna get out and recruit high quality young men who wanna win the right way and leave all that NIL and what not up to the people who deal with that kind of stuff, right and Go Miners!!!

Coach Golding, what is your response?

"So we're looking for team first guys, Right" not me first guys, right. It's just what, it is man and we have to evolve with it, right. Man, I know Miner fans wanna win now, right and trust me man I wanna win more than anything you feel me.... At the end of the day we want guys who want to be here, right and this university and it's tradition speak for itself right... So we're gonna get out and recruit high quality young men who wanna win the right way and leave all that NIL and what not up to the people who deal with that kind of stuff, right and Go Miners!!!
You feel me!

Which tourney?

Give 300k to one stud and spread out the rest with the juco and high school scrubs.

I have to say that I'm surprised by this; I guess that Z must have a short memory. Had his freshman year been a normal year then Terry would have been wise to redshirt him. But it wasn't a normal year, it was a freebie, one where Terry could have given him some experience. Instead he de facto redshirted him, playing him a total of only 13 minutes all season. I hope that he enjoyed that, as I see him riding a lot of pine in Austin.

The crazy thing is that he has shown tremendous improvement year to year at UTEP, as Golding has given him the court time to develop. He really needed to stay G5; going to a P5 school, especially one coming off of an Elite 8 appearance, to me seems like a mistake. Best of luck to him.

I have to say that I'm surprised by this; I guess that Z must have a short memory. Had his freshman year been a normal year then Terry would have been wise to redshirt him. But it wasn't a normal year, it was a freebie, one where Terry could have given him some experience. Instead he de facto redshirted him, playing him a total of only 13 minutes all season. I hope that he enjoyed that, as I see him riding a lot of pine in Austin.

The crazy thing is that he has shown tremendous improvement year to year at UTEP, as Golding has given him the court time to develop. He really needed to stay G5; going to a P5 school, especially one coming off of an Elite 8 appearance, to me seems like a mistake. Best of luck to him.
Well said. Agree 100%, but maybe he will prove us wrong. I wish him the best of luck, but it hurts to continually lose good players. I thought Onyema was different.

Well said. Agree 100%, but maybe he will prove us wrong. I wish him the best of luck, but it hurts to continually lose good players. I thought Onyema was different.
Onyema is going back to the coach that originally recruited him and likely money. These players aren’t going to schools because of banners, fans, or other things people think are important.

The coach is the most important connection. Bronzeing was his step dad that he didn’t choose. He just put up with.

Yeah, he might play less, but he has more luxuries and is back with the coach he originally committed to.

Onyema is going back to the coach that originally recruited him and likely money. These players aren’t going to schools because of banners, fans, or other things people think are important.

The coach is the most important connection. Bronzeing was his step dad that he didn’t choose. He just put up with.

Yeah, he might play less, but he has more luxuries and is back with the coach he originally committed to.
And yet he talked about his love for UTEP every chance he got. We are not all naive to the reasoning nor all surprised. Just thought he was different. Not everybody is the same. The reasons aren't always as cut and dry as you might think, but thanks for the education.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Yeah and we love giving while not receiving.
Maybe it's time minerfans speak with Veronica Escobar about this problem to see if she can propose legislation that mandates scholarship athletes have to sit a year if they chose to transfer and eliminate all tipe of payments to athletes . Otherwise mid-majors like UTEP will be hurt big time.

Reactions: kickballpro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT