ADVERTISEMENT

Portal strikes again. Onyema enters

He's already got Terry recruiting him to UT. The only way to get loyalty now is to buy it. Golding has zero purchasing power.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I'm really fvcking bummed about this one. I LOOOOOOOOOOVE Z. Fvcking hurts that he's in the portal. Someone needs to take their local church's collection baskets and start walking the neighborhoods for NIL money to get him to stay.

There goes our best player and a guy with a high ceiling.

Last edited:
However, Z has improved a LOT since then. Annnndddd....Terry is a fool
I agree, but will add that it was Terry who offered Onyema a scholarship to UTEP out of high school. Many other coaches did not, including Golding who was at ACU at the time. Also, Golding made Onyema a non-scholarship player his first year at UTEP, essentially undoing what Terry had done.

I give Onyema a ton of credit for developing into the player he has become. I had the opportunity to watch him in high school several times, and I also questioned if he would ever be a contributing D1 player. Towards the end of last season, I saw glimpses of a guy I thought could be an all-conference CUSA type player with continued improvement.

Obviously, with the NIL in place, the bigger schools can simply pluck a player away. Big, athletic men have tremendous value. I think it is very possible Onyema can garner a deal close to Boum's ($250K). There is no way anyone would turn down that type of deal. I wish Onyema would have stuck around for at least one more year at UTEP, but I definitely wish him the best wherever he lands.

Ummmmm, yeeeeeaaaaaahhh!!!! UTEP, Montana St, FIU, and LaTech must be ahead of all the other good D1 programs!!!
I don't get your point 🥱 I said he looks like an immediate impact guy based on his tape, ppg avg, rating #74 and what UTEP currently has coming back. The other D1 schools that offered have no relevance to him coming in an being an immediate contribution.

I don't get your point 🥱 I said he looks like an immediate impact guy based on his tape, ppg avg, rating #74 and what UTEP currently has coming back. The other D1 schools that offered have no relevance to him coming in an being an immediate contribution.
Well yeah it does. If he were an “immediate impact player”, wouldn’t his list be “better” than UTEP, FIU, LaTech, and Montana St?

All of the A10, AAC, WAC, MAC, MWC, and P6 obviously didn’t think so. Only 3 CUSA schools and a Big Sky school were in for this guy?

Well yeah it does. If he were an “immediate impact player”, wouldn’t his list be “better” than UTEP, FIU, LaTech, and Montana St?

All of the A10, AAC, WAC, MAC, MWC, and P6 obviously didn’t think so. Only 3 CUSA schools and a Big Sky school were in for this guy?
I guess we'll see, but Uteps talent level is currently more at those lower division 1 teams you mentioned not the others. So based on that and what's currently returning I see him getting a lot of playing time.

Last edited:

Perhaps this is the level at which he can make an immediate impact. IMHO, it should be starting to dawn on people that conditions probably aren't going to get any better, in fact they'll probably continue to get worse due to several factors out of the institution's control. Therefore the level of recruit is going to be commensurate. I hate it, but we seem to be getting deeper and deeper in the hole, due to the transfer epidemic and the ability for most schools not named UTEP to pony up healthy NIL deals, rather than digging ourselves out. Not sure anybody will be able to recruit and coach us out of this abyss. I think the best we can hope for is a "successful" season here and there with recruits that have less than stellar offer lists.

I wish I didn't, but I honestly believe that.

Last edited:
Perhaps this is the level at which he can make an immediate impact. IMHO, it should be starting to dawn on people that conditions probably aren't going to get any better, in fact they'll probably continue to get worse due to several factors out of the institution's control. Therefore the level of recruit is going to be commensurate. I hate it, but we seem to be getting deeper and deeper in the hole, due to the transfer epidemic and the ability for most schools not named UTEP to pony up healthy NIL deals, rather than digging ourselves out. Not sure anybody will be able to recruit and coach us out of this abyss. I think the best we can hope for is a "successful" season here and there with recruits that have less than stellar offer lists.

Unfortunately I agree with you

• Sad
Reactions: MineroFanatico

Schools aren't giving out NIL deals. It's the boosters. UTEP boosters aren't giving enough money to even keep the players feed properly. Administration has to get real about all of these teams. There's just not enough money to go around and make sure they have all the bells and whistles commiserate with our competition. We really need to cut a bunch of programs and sink the saved money into either basketball or football. It can't be both.

Reactions: MinerFan79
I remember year 1 Golding brought in a guy that also averaged 19ppg at his last stop. He was supposed to make an immediate impact. Didn’t quite work out like that. Done predicting who’s gonna be good until they’re actually doing it in Miner uniform.

Schools aren't giving out NIL deals. It's the boosters. UTEP boosters aren't giving enough money to even keep the players feed properly. Administration has to get real about all of these teams. There's just not enough money to go around and make sure they have all the bells and whistles commiserate with our competition. We really need to cut a bunch of programs and sink the saved money into either basketball or football. It can't be both.
I realize that. I got lazy in my writing. I just assume at this point everybody, most everybody anyway, is aware where the money comes from.

Cause of title 9 it’s hard to cut many programs. Maybe men’s golf, but that’s about it.

Reactions: kickballpro
Cause of title 9 it’s hard to cut many programs. Maybe men’s golf, but that’s about it.
They can cut women's sports. It just has to be the same number of scholarships for men's sports. We only have to sponsor seven men's and seven women's sports at a minimum, or six men's sports and eight women's sports at a minimum to stay Division 1. We're currently at 8 each. If we cut two men's teams there's probably going to be a pretty nice savings that we can roll into football or basketball. Preferably football since that's the revenue driver in college now.

They can cut women's sports. It just has to be the same number of scholarships for men's sports. We only have to sponsor seven men's and seven women's sports at a minimum, or six men's sports and eight women's sports at a minimum to stay Division 1. We're currently at 8 each. If we cut two men's teams there's probably going to be a pretty nice savings that we can roll into football or basketball. Preferably football since that's the revenue driver in college now.
I wonder if them adding Beach Volleyball is a way for them to cut the rifle team. That conference travel is nasty

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT