ADVERTISEMENT

roadrunners @ utep game thread

UTEP didn't look good, and UTSA is for real. Like top 15 in the country for real probably!

Ok, so we lost this game before halftime, but will we win the all-important time-of-possession battle?

It was wishful thinking the Miners we’re gonna win but UTEP blew a chance to turn around people today. A lot of people gave up watching Canelo become undisputed champ to watch the Miners get smoked.
People give a shit about Canelo? Seriously, I know he's a boxer, but what's so good about him?

All I can hope is they cover and I don't lose the $25 I bet on the spread.
That spread was so undervalued that I could not believe it. It was actually 9 and a half, then a ton of bets came on UTSA, bringing it to 11. Last week after the Florida Atlantic game, my friend asked me what it would be and I said at least 18. I bought my happiness on the game and loaded up on it. Wish I had been wrong, but Vegas really overvalued the Miners.

At least we keep our reputation intact as to getting our asses handed to us on national TV.
It never fails. Deer in the headlights effect.
scrubs-deer.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TxRdKiller
We made them put once. And we were offsides. It was 13-6 at that time and the crowd was ready to go off.
That TD drive on the second play was the killer. Everyone was hyped in pregame and kickoff and immediately UTSA killed the crowd. You could feel the energy leave the building and that was all she wrote.

Reactions: mikesarabia and Rot
They came out swinging with haymakers. UTEP offense had no responses but D did given circumstances.

ESPN reporting Dimel is ahead of schedule.

UTSA Oline was sealing blocks

UTSA saw a wrinkle in db line up and scored points.

UTSA an was making real time reads.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
That spread was so undervalued that I could not believe it. It was actually 9 and a half, then a ton of bets came on UTSA, bringing it to 11. Last week after the Florida Atlantic game, my friend asked me what it would be and I said at least 18. I bought my happiness on the game and loaded up on it. Wish I had been wrong, but Vegas really overvalued the Miners.
Yeah took two Ls tonight. At least last week UTEP covered with the 2 point conversion. Everything else was extra.

My end of the night thoughts:

- Miners lose every time we have decent crowds. I don't think they know how to play when people actually show up. We lose every time we get people in the stands.
-our next home game will have 10,000 in attendance. We didn't even have to win, all we had to do was show some fight to keep fans coming back but we didn't
-these are the games where I struggle with as far as buying into Dimel completely. He has improved talent, he beats teams he should, but how high is this team's ceiling with Dimel as head coach? He may have a higher floor but he has a low ceiling too
-the Wildcat is the worst play in football and we run it too much
- our (not so) special teams have been hurting us all year. We have had a blocked punt, our punt returner doesn't seem to understand when to fair catch or run it, penalties due to poor discipline and a lot of missed field goals.

I won’t lie. This hurt. I didn’t expect UTEP to win, but I also didn’t expect all of the issues to be immediately exposed, such as the lack of back defensive seven, lack of offensive gameplay beyond 3 yards&cloud of dust, lack of adjustments.

I don’t think we win that game, but man was it brutal to be that out coached. I expected Dimel to focus on fundamentals, not making mistakes, and beating other teams to death by just doing their jobs better. I was expecting a 5 win season this year, but Dimel’s seat is starting to get warm again for me.

I’m trying to find any sort of silver lining, but did UTEP do better than the Boise St game?

I’m real close to go back to using Dismel. Don’t think he had a great game plan. Seems to be he expects to loose games where we are overmatched, and doesn’t much care if we do.
He stated that he thought the team improved with this loss! If they loss on a last second 55 yard field goal, I could accept that. But to give up the yardage we did, line up off sides on fourth down, open with two three and outs, have a punter who can’t punt when needed, and give up tons of yards with runs up the middle doesn’t excite me.
When we were 6-1 a few people asked ( hopefully sarcastically) why we weren’t being rated, and at least half on this board want to extend his contract. Sorry I’m not a believer in Dimel and would love to se him gone. Hire a young innovator, hungry coach we wants to be here for two or three years and move up. F this shit about winning time of possession and considering that a victory.

I’m trying to find any sort of silver lining, but did UTEP do better than the Boise St game?
this was the Boise St game again. On the way out I asked my dad the same thing and we couldn’t think of anything. Some losses, like Texas or OU, we just get beat. This one was hurtful because UTSA isn’t a world beater and we had a chance, but just egregious mistakes sunk us.

I’ll see y’all in a few hours for the volleyball game, then on Tuesday when the BBall season starts. I think I’m done with football for a bit

Come on guys, we just got beat by what tomorrow will be a top 15 team. I have watched both teams all season and even though both records were kind of similar, the play on the field was very different. I have yet to see UTSA really make any mistakes in any game. They are a very good football team. I was hoping for a UTEP win but I knew that even if UTEP played their best game of the year, that would be a hard task against this Roadrunner team. We all knew that these last two games and the back half of the season was going to be hard for this miner team. But I am still thinking they can win 1, maybe 2 more games. And that will be about 4 more than I expected from the beginning of the season. If that happens, then I will consider this season a huge success and will be at their bowl game, happy to represent this miner team, while the rest of you that are “giving up on UTEP football” stay home.

This Miner season has been a success. Last night was just another failure, in a long line of past failures. Even Kansas gave OU a game a few weeks ago. I’m pretty sure the talent gap between KU and OU is bigger than UTEP and UTSAs.

I saw several complaints about concession stands and other Sun Bowl things. UTEP blew it big time. Even if you lose, you can still win by having a smooth operation. UTEP will be lucky to get 15k for Rice and that’s only if they beat UNT on Saturday.

Come on guys, we just got beat by what tomorrow will be a top 15 team. I have watched both teams all season and even though both records were kind of similar, the play on the field was very different. I have yet to see UTSA really make any mistakes in any game. They are a very good football team. I was hoping for a UTEP win but I knew that even if UTEP played their best game of the year, that would be a hard task against this Roadrunner team. We all knew that these last two games and the back half of the season was going to be hard for this miner team. But I am still thinking they can win 1, maybe 2 more games. And that will be about 4 more than I expected from the beginning of the season. If that happens, then I will consider this season a huge success and will be at their bowl game, happy to represent this miner team, while the rest of you that are “giving up on UTEP football” stay home.
If we didn’t give up after the 0-12/1-11 seasons then we sure as heck aren’t giving up on this team. I can’t speak for the majority of the board, but I’ll be there Nov 20 and again if they go to a bowl. Getting embarrassed on National tv by a team that is only 20ish years old is a jagged pill to swallow, especially with all the mistakes. I might have a negative feeling towards administration, but these young men and women are giving their all to rep the university and I am going to continue to support them.
Damn this loss was rough.

and replying to NoWins:

the lines were a little rough, but to UTEP’s credit they had obviously brought on a decent amount of support staff and security. If the individual organizations are still doing the concessions to fundraise, it’s tough to blame them. I do think they needed to have the small stands that only had candy, beer, and soda/water as stand alone vendors to help mitigate the crowds. great to see the crowd show up and get loud in the 1st half. I just hope we’re 7-3 and can pull 25k for the Rice game.

Last edited:
Tough pill to swallow but they were a better team and what UTEP is trying to be after so many years. That run up the middle after 20 seconds to start is a head scratcher. Plug those holes 😩 (that’s what she said ~ M Scott)

Reactions: kickballpro
After the game, when Teicher interviewed Dimel. He made it sound like, he knew UTSA was going to be that good, and UTEP truly had no shot. That’s the problem with him. He has not guts, to go out there and leave it out on the field. Always the well, let’s go out there and win the time of the possession crap. Or boring run plays and the long ball. Ugly loss, really back to back ugly losses. North Texas can also score. We will find out the true improvement with UNT and Rice. You have to beat both.

UTSA is legit. Harris makes very few mistakes. He is athletic and reads the defense well. He picked us apart. McCormick is a damn good back, too. The o line, great fundamentals and really strong. Moved us around. Receivers gave us fits with their athleticism and length.

Hard to determine how good they are defensively, as we are a poor measure for that, but they seem athletic and more than serviceable. I hope they run the table.

Even though they were behind us a few short years ago, that’s program that utep could borrow a page or two from.

We played the same mediocre style we've been playing all year. We simply faced an opponent in UTSA that was good enough to take advantage of us. The whole world saw the difference between a good team and a mediocre one. Let's see if the team can suck it up for the rest of the season. UTEP has been a bad team. Now we are mediocre. We're not yet good. We'll find out if Dimel is worth keeping if we can still beat the bad teams on our schedule. Time will tell.

Anybody that has been watching our games this year could see this coming. Hopefully we can close out the season decently strong and keep building. Maybe compete in a bowl game even (although I doubt it)?

Dimel is not the long term answer, but he has laid a decent little foundation. If Senter and Wilson care at all they will try to move the program forward soon. Keeping Dimel too long would be a big mistake in my opinion

Anybody that has been watching our games this year could see this coming. Hopefully we can close out the season decently strong and keep building. Maybe compete in a bowl game even (although I doubt it)?

Dimel is not the long term answer, but he has laid a decent little foundation. If Senter and Wilson care at all they will try to move the program forward soon.
Not me. I thought winning would be a stretch, but I’ll admit, I thought our defense was better than what it is. I thought we might cover the 11.5 point spread. Not even close.

I’m no longer thinking UAB is within our reach, though. I think their loss to Rice was somewhat of an anomaly. I think they qualify as one of those good teams we just can’t get past.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT