ADVERTISEMENT

Run-Pass Option

OsoFromELP

MI VIP
Sep 11, 2018
El Paso, TX
I'm so sick of it! That's all Mike Canales calls. This offense is so damn predictable. Kai Locksley can run, but sooner or later the coaches are going to get this kid killed. Hell, without Locksley, UTEP has no offense. Another 0-12 season. When does basketball season start?

I'm so sick of it! That's all Mike Canales calls. This offense is so damn predictable. Kai Locksley can run, but sooner or later the coaches are going to get this kid killed. Hell, without Locksley, UTEP has no offense. Another 0-12 season. When does basketball season start?
Now let's be fair. Wadley is racking up numbers and busting D lines on many carries. Locksley is a threat that takes away at least one defender who has to shadow him instead of falling into zone or filling a gap. The damn penalties, miscues, bad snaps/exchanges, illegal procedures, holding, and (over the head or into the turf) passing just has to make you want to pull your hair out! It's liking watching the Oakland-Soon-to-be-Las Vegas- Raiders. Second, Kai can't throw the deep ball. His accuracy is suspect at best and WR's at UTEP are on the critically endangered species list, so to opposing coaches it's "different staff, same result", so "Stack the box". Cut the mistakes in half, Kai and Redix work on short (slants) plays and deep pass and UTEP can be in every single one of the games left in the season. The O line does show improvement (but need to pick up blitz packages better) despite losing two veteran lineman (possibly a third since Brooks went down Saturday) and the D line is getting better. They had sacks and good pressure against Vols and Aggies.

Nope it's a one bid league. The only consequential games are in the conference tourney. Win three in a row you go dancing lose and you go home simple as that. The regular season schedule is meaningless.
That’s not true. Last season UTEP had to win its last regular season game in order to make what you call the “consequential games.” Play bad during the regular season and there is no chance to win three in a row to go dancing.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
This is not why they lost week. They lost on 3 plays, blocked punt and score, fumble and score, missed tackle and score. Offense controlled game and should've been enough to win. Moving on now to a slight chance of victory in SA.

I've come to realization that UTEP's best offense is to play keep away and run the ball 40 plus times like they did against NMSU.

It's boring, it's not going to work all the time, but we don't have a line that can pass block or pick up blitzes, a QB with pocket presence, and WR's that can create separation.

IMO Dimel said F--- it, lets run, play keep away, and hope we can finish drives. That's really the only way UTEP will win, I hate the Dimel hire, worst hire in FBS histroy, but this boring ass offense gives this current UTEP team the best chance to win, and its a small or zero chance every week.

I hate the philosophy, but until Dimel recruits his WR's and QB's expect QB draws, traps, and inside runs the rest of the season.

IMO the worst hire in FBS history is Ellis Johnson. He took over a program that had finished #19 at 12-2 and led them to a 0-12 record.

Dimel can start by giving that backup qb a call from UCLA that just walked off the team. Kid is allegedly a 4 star recruit. Until then, run the option.

Reactions: Minerforlife
I've come to realization that UTEP's best offense is to play keep away and run the ball 40 plus times like they did against NMSU.

It's boring, it's not going to work all the time, but we don't have a line that can pass block or pick up blitzes, a QB with pocket presence, and WR's that can create separation.

IMO Dimel said F--- it, lets run, play keep away, and hope we can finish drives. That's really the only way UTEP will win, I hate the Dimel hire, worst hire in FBS histroy, but this boring ass offense gives this current UTEP team the best chance to win, and its a small or zero chance every week.

I hate the philosophy, but until Dimel recruits his WR's and QB's expect QB draws, traps, and inside runs the rest of the season.
Can't be the worst hire in Football History just yet. He has to earn that title after at least 3-4 years not 3-4 games.

Hey, why not?! It works because Wadley gets it done and Hughes does a good job to give Wadley a breather. Dimel insists on Fields but I like T.K. Powell. Just cut the holding, and illegal procedures that kill good drives and boom!

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Can't be the worst hire in Football History just yet. He has to earn that title after at least 3-4 years not 3-4 games.
Hey, why not?! It works because Wadley gets it done and Hughes does a good job to give Wadley a breather. Dimel insists on Fields but I like T.K. Powell. Just cut the holding, and illegal procedures that kill good drives and boom!
Agree, its the little things killing drives, its Kugler ball, but with an athletic QB.

That's as much patience I will have for this damn coaching staff.

The scheme doesn’t matter as much as the personnel. UTEP can’t function tab this level in any system with the current talent.

1. ) UTEP ran more Zone Read Option than RPO’s on Saturday.

2.) My summary is this: Dimel got hired somewhat late. When he arrived, we did not have a legit D1 QB on the roster, as evidenced by us literally being the worst offense in America last year. With Dimel arriving late and not having much time to recruit, there weren’t many D1 ready QB’s available out there. Dimel found a QB that hopefully could work, although he is more suited to the zone read rather than pocket passing. As the games have gone on and real-time game action has exposed strengths and weaknesses, Dimel has adjusted his offense down to an even lower level of what he would like to do, in order to adjust to the personell that he was able to put together in such a short period of time.

3.) Drastically changing the offense would be even further difficult to do given the fact that the o-linemen that he inherited on this roster, were o-linemen recruited for a power running game, not other styles of offenses. Again, Dimel had to adjust to the current players on the roster. Then of course Dimel works all spring ball with what he thinks will be his starting o-line, but then has to adjust again as 3 of those starters are lost early in the season.

4.) The theory that Dimel has had to reduce his offense down, in comparison to what he really wants to do, might also be proven by the fact that we threw the ball 63 times in the spring game!

5.) The QB that Dimel currently has committed appears to be more of a passer than runner, so my thinking is that the current power run scheme is just a short term adjustment to fit the current personnel until he can get his personnel in here. That being said, Hankins has been talked about as being an SEC type of RB talent since his sophomore year(that thinking has even been somewhat validated with at least one SEC offer). Assuming Dimel can hold on to Hankins, then I am all for a power run scheme variation and getting him the ball as much as possible while he is at UTEP.

6.) UTEP only had 227 yards and 14 points against NMSU last year. NMSU returned 9 defensive starters this year, so we basically played against that same defense again this year. Yet this year, Dimel put up 429 yards and 20 points, which is an increase of more than 200 yards against essentially the same defense.

7.) People seem to be ready to give Coach Terry a pass for his first year, yet Coach Dimel is under fire after only 4 games? Both programs are rebuilds, why not give both coaches the chance to rebuild them first?

Last edited:
6.) UTEP only had 227 yards and 14 points against NMSU last year. NMSU returned 9 defensive starters this year, so we basically played against that same defense again this year. Yet this year, Dimel put up 429 yards and 20 points, which is an increase of more than 200 yards against essentially the same defense.

7.) People seem to be ready to give Coach Terry a pass for his first year, yet Coach Dimel is under fire after only 4 games? Both programs are rebuilds, why not give both coaches the chance to rebuild them first?

NMSU is 104th in Total Defense and is averaging 434 yards per game. UTEP had less than that. NMSU was 0-4 going in and had played an extra game. Meaning, they were probably more beat up and tired. UTEP was playing at home. Does gaining more yards than someone mean you won the game? Do they give wins and championships for gaining 200 more yards versus an opponent than the year before?

Coach Dimel isn’t under fire, but he lost 2 very winnable games at homes. Has Coach Terry previously gone winless in coaching before? Did he spend 15 years in between HC jobs? What other teams courted Dimel as their head coach? That is people are not very positive when it comes to the football team

Reactions: El Paso Is Great
1. ) UTEP ran more Zone Read Option than RPO’s on Saturday.

2.) My summary is this: Dimel got hired somewhat late. When he arrived, we did not have a legit D1 QB on the roster, as evidenced by us literally being the worst offense in America last year. With Dimel arriving late and not having much time to recruit, there weren’t many D1 ready QB’s available out there. Dimel found a QB that hopefully could work, although he is more suited to the zone read rather than pocket passing. As the games have gone on and real-time game action has exposed strengths and weaknesses, Dimel has adjusted his offense down to an even lower level of what he would like to do, in order to adjust to the personell that he was able to put together in such a short period of time.

3.) Drastically changing the offense would be even further difficult to do given the fact that the o-linemen that he inherited on this roster, were o-linemen recruited for a power running game, not other styles of offenses. Again, Dimel had to adjust to the current players on the roster. Then of course Dimel works all spring ball with what he thinks will be his starting o-line, but then has to adjust again as 3 of those starters are lost early in the season.

4.) The theory that Dimel has had to reduce his offense down, in comparison to what he really wants to do, might also be proven by the fact that we threw the ball 63 times in the spring game!

5.) The QB that Dimel currently has committed appears to be more of a passer than runner, so my thinking is that the current power run scheme is just a short term adjustment to fit the current personnel until he can get his personnel in here. That being said, Hankins has been talked about as being an SEC type of RB talent since his sophomore year(that thinking has even been somewhat validated with at least one SEC offer). Assuming Dimel can hold on to Hankins, then I am all for a power run scheme variation and getting him the ball as much as possible while he is at UTEP.

It’s interesting that last season KSt with Dimel as the OC averaged 32.3 ppg and ranked 39/130. This year they are struggling offensively at 21 ppg 114/130. A 41 point performance over a bad UTSA team boosted those numbers. It might go further down once they reach the meat of Big 12 play. Dimel will get this offense rolling once they graduate Kugler’s recruits, and he has his recruits playing under his system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT