ADVERTISEMENT

Scotty Walden new UTEP FB Coach

That’s crazy. A guy with that much experience is hard to replace. A lot of people asking what Poss’ role was. He was on the admin side of Football. Mostly logistics and travel. Great guy. He has been with UTEP since 97 and is 68 years old. Which means he has a pension and can comfortably retire.
I don’t mind Walden bringing in his people. I’m sure Poss did a great job but I have no problem with a new set of eyes coming in.

DFO is essentially the role he filled. They are usually close to HC so its not unusual for the HC to bring his own. They deal with all the travel and coordination which is a lot to the role. Managing a budget, coordinating recruiting visits and travel for coaches to go on the road and recruit and along with all the game travel etc.

DFO is essentially the role he filled. They are usually close to HC so its not unusual for the HC to bring his own. They deal with all the travel and coordination which is a lot to the role. Managing a budget, coordinating recruiting visits and travel for coaches to go on the road and recruit and along with all the game travel etc.

He’s been here for 5 head coaches

So basically a travel agent.

Reactions: kickballpro
He’s been here for 5 head coaches
My apologies if that sounded insensitive -- WOW 5 head coaches thats a stretch and a testament to craft -- that is very unusual. Im sure he became somewhat of a figure here at UTEP ... sorry that happened to him. Again, I wasn't aware of that -- sound like Coach Poss was a UTEP fixture.

My apologies if that sounded insensitive -- WOW 5 head coaches thats a stretch and a testament to craft -- that is very unusual. Im sure he became somewhat of a figure here at UTEP ... sorry that happened to him. Again, I wasn't aware of that -- sound like Coach Poss was a UTEP fixture.
I thank Poss for his service but new blood is needed all around.

The Athletic Dept. is next!

Is Teicher next?? How much is he making?
Has anyone here listened to the guys we've had for the ESPN+ broadcasts? They range from absolutely horrible (Mando) at worst to reasonably competent but boring (Duke Keith) at best. That's what we would have if we replaced Teicher. Also, I've listened to radio broadcasts of several other teams across the country, and rarely do I hear a play by play guy that I like as much as I do Teicher. Let Teicher keep doing what he does.

After listening to Mando the last couple of games, I have become an even bigger Teicher fan. Those basketball games are almost unwatchable from an announcer perspective. I’m not going to comment on the performance on the court at this time. 😂
I refuse to watch uteps Espn+ productions and now they have taken teicher off? Ehole

Has anyone here listened to the guys we've had for the ESPN+ broadcasts? They range from absolutely horrible (Mando) at worst to reasonably competent but boring (Duke Keith) at best. That's what we would have if we replaced Teicher. Also, I've listened to radio broadcasts of several other teams across the country, and rarely do I hear a play by play guy that I like as much as I do Teicher. Let Teicher keep doing what he does.

Mando has to be one of the worst announcers I have ever heard. He doesn't even always know who our players are or what year they are in. Sometimes it seems like he's never seen the game of basketball before.

I refuse to watch uteps Espn+ productions and now they have taken teicher off? Ehole
Teicher hasn't been on an ESPN+ production, or at least not in years. They use other local broadcasters for that. I don't know why they don't do a simulcast with KROD, the quality of the announcing for both football and basketball would be much better.

Last edited:
Yours right I'm thinking of CUSA TV.
Teicher hasn't been on an ESPN+ production, or at least not in years. They use other local broadcasters for.that. I don't know why they don't do a simulcast with KROD, the quality of the announcing for both football and basketball would be much better.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Mando has to be one of the worst announcers I have ever heard. He doesn't even always know who our players are or what year they are in. Sometimes it seems like he's never seen the game of basketball before.
C'mon, you don't like "... and the guy shoots" (who shoots?) or "... he gots the rebound" (who is it that  has the rebound? For which team?) or various other Mando-isms? If someone was to start a drinking game where they had to take a drink every time Mando made a mistake, butchered the English language, failed to properly identify a team and/or player, or completely missed a play or call, participants would be dying of alcohol poisoning within the first 10 minutes of the game.

Sounds like he was part of the problem. Good job on replacing that inefficiency too

C’mon? Teicher is a legend and not employed by the coaches. He’s not going to get replaced anytime soon.
People are saying the whole athletic department needs new people. Maybe they're doing some cut packs? Is Tiecher salary part of the athletic budget?

C’mon? Teicher is a legend and not employed by the coaches. He’s not going to get replaced anytime soon.
Teich is not going anywhere and no, he’s not on ESPN plus broadcast. He has a specific and exclusive contract with UTEP.

However, he is a corporate UTEP shill and yes the stories are true, he is not the most approachable of people, given his position.

What most fans don’t know is that Teicher is a survivor. He is a recent cancer survivor so he has a “new found lease on life”. He also is a business survivor. There have been “purging” is UTEP AD staff over the years. It’s common in college athletics. Uncle Bob purged the staff in the 90’s when he arrived. Hell, even Haskins didn’t make the cut. But Teich did. He got a new contract. Insiders were absolutely dumbfounded. Teich had a great agent. Great agents get their clients new contracts during Armageddon, with bonuses.

His broadcasts have bordered on the deplorable where he seemed to be “rooting for the other team” to legendary game winning broadcasts that will last generations calling game winning TD’s and last second shots to win the game. His classics to me were post game call in shows where all the inebriated Miner fans would call in. The many, many bad football games were classics.😆😆

He has fans and he has haters. He’s a hater himself. He is a UCLA grad and has made it public of his dislike of UT. You see, UT is the “flagship” school of the UT System but that doesn’t mean a hill of beans regarding his contract. But, he can deny it, but he said it.

MinersWon dubbed (synchronized) his voice with legendary games that are classic but Uncle Bob served legal papers on him I was told (never verified). Any Miner fan who lives next to MinersWon needs to be a “buddy” and save those files.

Last edited:
Teich is not going anywhere and no, he’s not on ESPN plus broadcast. He has a specific and exclusive contract with UTEP.

However, he is a corporate UTEP shill and yes the stories are true, he is not the most approachable of people, given his position.

What most fans don’t know is that Teicher is a survivor. He is a recent cancer survivor so he has a “new found lease on life”. He also is a business survivor. There have been “purging” is UTEP AD staff over the years. It’s common in college athletics. Uncle Bob purged the staff in the 90’s when he arrived. Hell, even Haskins didn’t make the cut. But Teich did. He got a new contract. Insiders were absolutely dumbfounded. Teich had a great agent. Great agents get their clients new contracts during Armageddon, with bonuses.

His broadcasts have bordered on the deplorable where he seemed to be “rooting for the other team” to legendary game winning broadcasts that will last generations calling game winning TD’s and last second shots to win the game. His classics to me were post game call in shows where all the inebriated Miner fans would call in. The many, many bad football games were classics.😆😆

He has fans and he has haters. He’s a hater himself. He is a UCLA grad and has made it public of his dislike of UT. You see, UT is the “flagship” school of the UT System but that doesn’t mean a hill of beans regarding his contract. But, he can deny it, but he said it.

MinersWon dubbed (synchronized) his voice with legendary games that are classic but Uncle Bob served legal papers on him I was told (never verified). Any Miner fan who lives next to MinersWon needs to be a “buddy” and save those files.
I forgot how funny it was when he ran Miner Talk. I remember little kids would call in and because they were so young it took them forever to make a point and he would be like “Great to hear from you”, hang up and move on like they were the drunk callers. Classic.

The other classic was the Cal Poly game in 2003. That Miner Talk went on past midnight if I recall because there were so many fans that wanted to vent. I’ll give the guy that, he ran Miner Talk as long as he needed.

My wife and I, have a running joke " Is UTEP going to play Duke in the Don Haskins Center?" Many moons ago, a caller asked Teich that, and he went off on him lol... Instant classic, Teicher, takes no poo from anyone hahah

I just read that Nate Poss will no longer be part of Utep football. Wow.
He was going to retire in January anyways. This just speeds up the timeline by 30 days so that Walden can get his staff lined up. Poss did some great things for UTEP but his later years were not great. One thing that drove me absolutely bonkers (and I have commented on this several times on this board) was his nutritional schedule for the players when they would stay at hotels the night before games. He had chicken fingers and a milkshake bar as the final meal before the game for the team! Every single week same crap being fed to the players. They deserve a true nutrition table and hopefully Walden's staff implements this.

Well?? If UTEP needs to cut costs. 🤔🤔

I don't believe Utep cant find someone cheaper that can do just as better. How about have some kind of competition for UTEP students/alumni. This actually would be great content for the Minerdigs YouTube channel, or even Uteps own Utep channel. John Teicher could be the host. Could do like a American Idol type of a search. People could vote on Twitter or just like how they do on American Idol. The show could be called"" The Next Teicher "".

I have a bunch of these that my dad bought from MW back in the day

I believe most of his career he was not working for UTEP. He went to work for them about 7 or 8 years ago.Announcing is not his only responsibility.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT