ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Litrell Fired at UNT

Reactions: Lil_Train
Doesn't sound like a President who cares about wins and losses to me. Sounds like her mandate to Senter was to improve the grades. I could be reading that wrong though.
"Sports like football and basketball are the front porch of the institution; they are one of the ways a community and the university connect with each other.” -HW

If she really believes that, then there’s work to do. She also said Senter has the athletic programs on their way back to excellence. She either sets a very low bar for “excellence”, or is not holding those under her accountable to that excellence.

We just got the biggest donation in school history, $25 million dollars.

Universities we used to be even with are now getting 5 times that every year in revenue because they had the foresight to invest in athletics.

I never said told her to not try to improve athletics. I'm saying athletics was not a topic of discussion. If that was a condition of her employment she would have mentioned it at least once in her 4 State of The University speeches. Those speeches are a public address essentially to let her bosses know how she is doing. Maybe at some point she will take a hands on approach, but it's not very likely. She only cares about team GPAs. Right now they're the highest they have been.
I agree 100% that the UT system BODs have zero interest in UTEP athletics. Why would they when they don't fund any of it? This isn't UT Austin after all.

Wilson clearly stated where she feels her role is with respect to athletics:

When asked specifically what she could tangibly do to support athletics, she said, "I can help with community relations, fundraising."

My question is: How's that going? Perhaps, there is something big on the horizon. If the goal is to become just "competitive", I would say the current leadership is well on their way. It is clear that 3 - 5 years isn't enough time to expect anything more.

Last edited:
"Sports like football and basketball are the front porch of the institution; they are one of the ways a community and the university connect with each other.” -HW

If she really believes that, then there’s work to do. She also said Senter has the athletic programs on their way back to excellence. She either sets a very low bar for “excellence”, or is not holding those under her accountable to that excellence.
Excellence at what though. She stated in the interview about sports that she is not evaluating based off of wins and losses. The fact that she says very little about improving the product on the field or the court in an interview that is specifically about athletics. Should tell you everything you need to know. When unprompted about athletics, all she ever says is about the improved GPA of the athletes. We can grasp at straws all day, it's not going to change that sports performance is not her priority.

As for the ideas she brings, Wilson said she "doesn't micromanage anybody. I set strategic goals," and those goals go beyond wins and losses.

"As a university president ... I focus more on things like academic progress of our students and using athletics to develop young leaders of character," she said.

When asked how she will judge the success of the athletic department, her stated goals are: developing leaders, following NCAA rules and having a 50-50 chance of winning.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Kidd Field would be the perfect place for an Indoor Football Facility that could house indoor Track.

Then relocate Track and Field to an off campus location like a Local High School and form a partnership program in which UTEP can build a Track Field house.

Kidd Field is Prime Real Estate for Athletic upgrades and shouldn’t be used for a fledgling Track Program.

"Fledgling"...

"I think the athletic department knows where they are and they have a plan to improve athletic results."

Mrs. Wilson, is everything going according to the plan then?
She expects a 50/50 chance of winning , so the football team was close to achieving that this year by winning 5 out of 12 games. They won half of their regular season games last season , so the football team meeting expectations.

Last edited:

"Fledgling"...

Went from 20 National Titles and I am supposed to be impressed by 4 Gold Medals at the Conference Meet. They haven’t been relevant in Track in like 20 years.

All I am saying, is they can’t generate $10 at the gate and Kidd Field is the perfect land to build something amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT