ADVERTISEMENT

Sportstalk is going to be must hear radio today...

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
Don't miss it. Coach Floyd just went off on Steve at the signing day press conference.

For the record, CTF said he has his 13 scholarships allocated right now but he may bring in some prop 48s or walkons.

Reactions: Rigo Chaparro
Don't miss it. Coach Floyd just went off on Steve at the signing day press conference.

For the record, CTF said he has his 13 scholarships allocated right now but he may bring in some prop 48s or walkons.

What happened? Why did he get pissed at Steve? Because he acted like a real journalist and asked some hard questions??

KROD at 4 PM. CTF and Steve went at each other over 'message board' rumors. Steve didn't back down and I thought CTF was gonna come over the table at him.

Reactions: JCorona
Coach Floyd was just waiting for Kappy to ask him a question. He was prepared to personally confront Steve, simply for doing his job. He felt the need to defend his performance. CTF is feeling the heat.

Well, maybe Floyd is right. We're probably somewhere around the 40% of freshmen who end up transferring by the end of their sophomore. But, I'm pretty sure this doesn't take into account the 2/3 of our recruits who never even show up in August.

Floyd is such a dick. It's all social media's fault, Kappy's fault, and the "uninformed" media's fault for misrepresenting the turnover issue under Floyd at UTEP.

Floyd must admire the way Popovich handles the media -- too bad he's not the winner Pop is.

Last edited:
Steve, thanks for asking the tough questions that many reporters in town have avoided for years. Floyd needs to understand that everyone needs to be held accountable. We love UTEP and expect great things from our athletic programs, especially men's basketball. Your questions were tough but fair. We all know that Floyd is a great coach, but fans are wondering why so many players are leaving the program. We were excited when Floyd came to UTEP but we are all concerned that his teams have not gone to the NCAA tourney. UTEP men's basketball has been our pride and joy but the future looks bleak.

Uncle Bob needs to reel this in, my god. Embarrassing and classless. Where the hell are the other sports guys in town? Where's Lou? Where's the 7 guy? That Asher dude would at least ask some non-softball questions!

Maybe the most contentious interview I've heard since Rome v Chrissy. Thing is, players leaving the program is just one of multiple symptoms. After six seasons, the PROBLEM is the man can't win basketball games. This ain't gonna end well...

So many bad things about Floyd came out in that rant. The way he name-dropped his stops in bigger media markets in order to belittle the El Paso media. The way he refused to take personal responsibility. The way he latched onto any and all excuses. Finally, Kappy has to be one of the most positive and "pro-homer" guys out there. If you can't get along with Kappy, that's on you.

I don't know why people say he can't win basketball games, he has won 63% of his games here, which is better than Gillispie or Barbee. Is it solely because he hasn't taken us to the tournament? He has had some very solid seasons here. I agree that he hasn't performed as well as I originally thought he would, but he has had some very bad luck on the injury side, and with Isaac Hamilton.

63% is not an accomplishment when you're beating bad teams for it. We lose in the conference tournaments and don't even make the semi-finals. We not only lose, but have been dominated by NMSU. We haven't won regular season titles. We haven't won any of our games in the CBI or NIT. When it matters we lose. To make matters worse,there's all this extra drama that Floyd brings to the table. The drama with Kappy was self-inflicted. Even if you chose to agree with Floyd's point that Kapps has been irresponsible, that stuff should have been said behind closed doors in private, not generating this negative coverage.

I can respect that answer. I havent been satisfied with his results thus far, but at the same time people go way overboard in their bashing of him. He needs to make the tournament for sure in the next couple of years, otherwise his time here will have been a failure. He also needs to be winning 20 games a season.

I don't know why people say he can't win basketball games, he has won 63% of his games here, which is better than Gillispie or Barbee. Is it solely because he hasn't taken us to the tournament? He has had some very solid seasons here. I agree that he hasn't performed as well as I originally thought he would, but he has had some very bad luck on the injury side, and with Isaac Hamilton.

So bare, what I'm hearing is that you're all in for doubling up on that season ticket order next year, right? Here's a clue. In six seasons, the number of league championships + the number of NCAA appearances by UTEP under CTF = the number of "likes" you've received while posting on this board. Worse yet, the prospect of that equation changing anytime in the near future appears dim...

I only listened to parts of the press conference on Sports Talk today. First off, Floyd didn't have 11 seniors, that's FICTION. He did have to fill several scholarships to fill. He had a class prior to having the massive class, he signed Lee, Haynes, Bo, Perez, and Cass. Because the class didn't quite take, he had additional scholarships to offer in year 2. But either way, he didn't have 11 seniors. That number seems to grow during his tenure of excuses. Somehow he continues to put this on Barbee.

He also got a line in there about Caldwell was on a scholarship. Then why was it posted on Twitter and Facebook by the Caldwell's that he decided to give up his scholarship for Brodricks. Floyd should have said, "Look at the character of the guys I coached, Caldwell gave up a scholarship for me and the team. That's great character!"

Floyd, says to Kaplowitz, "You give yourself to much credit." That's just an ass being a bully.

Said we 'walked away from Khalea Turner.' Sounds like a violation.

I believe Floyd said he never dismissed a player from the program except for disciplinary reasons. Isn't that dismissing a player?

It's funny some of you guys !! I promise you that if people were talking about the way you did your job publicly you guys would be just as upset as Floyd and would probably say things that were even worse.... Saying its classless come on now... You guys would be saying the same thing

In the workforce today we wouldn't have a job if we performed the way Floyd has.

It works both ways. He said Millenials have 3 jobs in the first five years or something like that. He made it seem like we jump around if we are not satisfied but a lot has to do with getting let go if we don't produce.

I get that point Purplefire, but at the same time his job security is based on how well his teams play on the court. As fans we have the right to complain if we're the ones paying the money to watch what we feel is an inferior product. You can not be the face of the basketball team and in the public eye and not expect to be criticized when you're not meeting fans' expectations. I don't think we're being unreasonable asking for an NCAA Tournament team.

Reactions: mikesarabia
It's funny some of you guys !! I promise you that if people were talking about the way you did your job publicly you guys would be just as upset as Floyd and would probably say things that were even worse.... Saying its classless come on now... You guys would be saying the same thing

Attacking Kaplowitz the way he did and what he said about Kaplowitz as a professional was classless. When you have a job like Floyd does, it comes with the territory. I have had people try to get me fired. It sucks.

Reactions: alum95and98
What everyone has failed to mention is that the field is stacked against everyone and everyone is playing by the same rules. Look at what Dan Majerle is doing at Grand Canyon st. Look at Gonzaga and Wichita St. Butler, San Diego st. and other mid majors. Marvin Menzies was coaching under the same circumstances and look at his success. They are living and playing in the transfer era as well and have had much more success.

Secondly, Floyd read out the names of several programs that had 4 tranfers this year but never does he mention that he's had 4 transfers almost every year (no source).

Another point about mid-major at large bids. Floyd was entirely wrong about that. The AAC which is a mid-major league had 3 bids. Tulsa was one of them. The Atlantic 10 had 2 and MVC had 1. By my count that is 6 at large bids. Not great but far cry from 1. Someone needs to examine the veracity of Floyd's statements and report back.

What everyone has failed to mention is that the field is stacked against everyone and everyone is playing by the same rules. Look at what Dan Majerle is doing at Grand Canyon st. Look at Gonzaga and Wichita St. Butler, San Diego st. and other mid majors. Marvin Menzies was coaching under the same circumstances and look at his success. They are living and playing in the transfer era as well and have had much more success.

Secondly, Floyd read out the names of several programs that had 4 tranfers this year but never does he mention that he's had 4 transfers almost every year (no source).

Another point about mid-major at large bids. Floyd was entirely wrong about that. The AAC which is a mid-major league had 3 bids. Tulsa was one of them. The Atlantic 10 had 2 and MVC had 1. By my count that is 6 at large bids. Not great but far cry from 1. Someone needs to examine the veracity of Floyd's statements and report back.

Great post. I am getting sick of Floyd's mid-major at large bid excuse. Maybe with the exception of Floyds first year here with Barbee's players, Floyd has not had a team worthy of a possible at large bid since he has been here, so why in the hell does he keep using that as an excuse??????? I could see his point if one of his UTEP teams won 27 games, won the CUSA regular season, and lost in the CUSA Tourney finals and didn't get an at large bid But his teams haven't even come close to winning CUSA in the regular season or making the CUSA finals.

Fiction

Im tired of Floyd's behavior and excuses. Hopefully Bob Stull gets the balls to do what he needs to do.
Don't expect much from Stull. He has said that he doesn't use CUSA regular season titles and NCAA Appearances to evaluate Floyd's job performance here at UTEP. As long as he wins at least 20 games is a very successful season. Then he doesn't even fire a employee who works in the athletic department that goes on UTEP's twitter account and bashes a current player(at the time)., so don't expect anything to be done about Floyd's behavior either.

Uncle Bob needs to reel this in, my god. Embarrassing and classless. Where the hell are the other sports guys in town? Where's Lou? Where's the 7 guy? That Asher dude would at least ask some non-softball questions!
This ↑. Where are all the other reporters and why aren't they asking the tough questions?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT