ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Football

It's interesting that you couldn't predict that Higgins, Darilek, Ward, Cousins, Demps, and Thomas would get drafted just by going to the meet and greets.
It’s also interesting you think UTEP and Bama look the same.

It’s also interesting you think UTEP and Bama look the same.

That's not what I said, but nice try.

"What's dumb about my comment? Let's say you put 75 Alabama players on a practice field wearing the same uniforms as 75 players from various other schools. You're telling me you could identify all 75 Alabama players right off the bat? I don't think so."

I really don't think so, but again it's just my opinion.

I'm not talking about a scrimmage. I'm talking about practice.
Most teams have a live session during every practice. For some reason UTEP does not. So I guess it depends who's practice is you're going to. If we're talking about Alabama practice, you'll notice the difference.

Most teams have a live session during every practice. For some reason UTEP does not. So I guess it depends who's practice is you're going to. If we're talking about Alabama practice, you'll notice the difference.
No you won’t. Everyone looks the same like we’re living in Madden 94.

• Haha
Reactions: Taco1977

All I'm talking about is practice. Nothing more, nothing less.

All I'm talking about is practice. Nothing more, nothing less.
I understand you're talking about practice. I'm saying you'll be able to tell the difference between a UTEP player and an Alabama player at an Alabama practice. Especially at the lineman position. Most of the top schools have very physical practices that simulate game situations.

I understand you're talking about practice. I'm saying you'll be able to tell the difference between a UTEP player and an Alabama player at an Alabama practice. Especially at the lineman position. Most of the top schools have very physical practices that simulate game situations.

LOL You care way too much about a simple comment that I made. I first didn't even mention any specific schools because I thought my comment was understood that I was talking about an average college football practice. Alabama, Boise State, UCLA, etc. Practices really don't reveal much.

LOL You care way too much about a simple comment that I made. I first didn't even mention any specific schools because I thought my comment was understood that I was talking about an average college football practice. Alabama, Boise State, UCLA, etc. Practices really don't reveal much.
Practices reveal a lot! You should come watch a practice with me (I'm at almost all of them) and I'll show exactly what I'm talking about.

Practices reveal a lot! You should come watch a practice with me (I'm at almost all of them) and I'll show exactly what I'm talking about.

I've seen UTEP practice and I've seen Sun Bowl practices. I remember specifically a 2007 Sun Bowl practice and thinking for sure USF was going to win. I was way off! Just like you can't predict how well UTEP will do during the season just by seeing them practice.

Out of curiosity, why are you at most of the practices? Do you work for UTEP?

I've seen UTEP practice and I've seen Sun Bowl practices. I remember specifically a 2007 Sun Bowl practice and thinking for sure USF was going to win. I was way off! Just like you can't predict how well UTEP will do during the season just by seeing them practice.

Out of curiosity, why are you at most of the practices? Do you work for UTEP?
No, I'm retired and really love football. I have two grand kids attending there now and a child that graduated from there.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
WE CAN ONLY DREAM. And, the word "conversations" is incorrect. What permeates this board is trolling, whining, and posing.

I know you won't answer, but who is trolling, whining, and posing? It's funny because you are the person who never adds anything to this board.

Why are you still here? You can always leave.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Would love to get your impressions of the team, Taco. Was there anyone who stood out as QB2? How about the receivers? How did the new TEs look? Thanks 👍
QB2 is not a competition as the older players have been given more reps. Although #6 has shown better performance than Gavin with his limited reps, they don't seem interested in giving him more at the moment. It's possible that this is due to a playbook issue, but this is just speculation. His brother, #23 is lightning-quick and I expect him to play. He and Smith will make a good combination when we go 4 wide. However, the outside receiver positions (X/Z) are currently a cause for concern as the players are not creating separation and don't seem to have good hands for contested catches. Unfortunately, the tight end who was playing well tore his ACL and no one has filled his shoes. It'll be interesting to see if there are any improvements when fall camp starts. Currently, the defense will have to carry the team if they want to have a .500 season. These next couple of months will be very important for the offense.

QB2 is not a competition as the older players have been given more reps. Although #6 has shown better performance than Gavin with his limited reps, they don't seem interested in giving him more at the moment. It's possible that this is due to a playbook issue, but this is just speculation. His brother, #23 is lightning-quick and I expect him to play. He and Smith will make a good combination when we go 4 wide. However, the outside receiver positions (X/Z) are currently a cause for concern as the players are not creating separation and don't seem to have good hands for contested catches. Unfortunately, the tight end who was playing well tore his ACL and no one has filled his shoes. It'll be interesting to see if there are any improvements when fall camp starts. Currently, the defense will have to carry the team if they want to have a .500 season. These next couple of months will be very important for the offense.
Well then...as usual I can't wait for the season to start. The excitement is killing me.

No really though. I haven't been so down on sports in my entire life. Thanks to my daughter loving basketball I'll be ok for now!

Hopefully Smith returns to UTEP, he would give this WR corps a big lift.

Thanks for the insight Taco. 👍

I know you won't answer, but who is trolling, whining, and posing? It's funny because you are the person who never adds anything to this board.

Why are you still here? You can always leave.
EPUTEP, you're on ignore so I have no idea what kind of non-sports, none-UTEP, nonsense you're replying to me.

• Haha
Reactions: EPUTEP

“Taking these young guys and taking them to another level and having our older guys work at a higher level. Our older guys have set a great example because they’re focused and want to accomplish some special things. I think our talent level is the best that it’s been,” Dimel said.

LOL

“Taking these young guys and taking them to another level and having our older guys work at a higher level. Our older guys have set a great example because they’re focused and want to accomplish some special things. I think our talent level is the best that it’s been,” Dimel said.

LOL
Worse word salad than Kamala Harris 🤡

All we know:

A) Dimel starts season 6. We know he can recruit good JUCO’s; however, will he and his staff greatly underperform again?
B) Hardison, Hankins and Praise will start. Smith doesn’t want to be a backup at College Station (as per EPTimes) and he wants to return to the Miners, but he must wait for grades to post from TAMU.
C)D line has good depth anchored by Praise.
E) Dimel’s offense has been mostly inefficient every year while at UTEP but shows surprising potency when clicking (Fresno, BSU).

With names and former P5 coaches like Kill & Rodriguez at the opposite side of the field & ready to go new HC Chadwell at “open checkbook” Liberty who runs a very potent hybrid offense and should challenge for CUSA divisional title (Liberty expected to be heavy favorites to win CUSA along with WKU) and a seasoned HC KC Keeler from SHSU, can Dimel get consistency on offense and beat them? He has the weapons but can he finally put it all together like he has been expected to do? Many fans say “No!” and are ready to move on. Jax State made big strides under Rodriguez with large margin wins but they’re an upstart and Rodriguez very recently tempered excited Jax State fans expectations by recently saying the jump to FBS will be very challenging. Game one is full of mistakes but If Dimel loses this first one, fans will bail even more and not return at all as fatigue with “same ol, same ol” hardens like concrete. They still remember game one vs UNT, the very ugly NMSU games and the huge lead blown fiasco at UTSA. Hardison was supposed to be UTEP’s next Jordan Palmer….they’re still waiting.

Back to the D line (say what you want Miner fans, like the rb’s, they’re really loaded):

“The new starter spots will be the promotions of end Mo Westmoreland and Tevita Tafuna but more notable is how many players, both new and returners, were rotating in behind them. Of the newcomers, end Kanious Vaughn and tackle Kadarion Johnson have stepped right into the two-deep”…...“End Praise Amaewhule is still the star, and still the player with the most interesting things to say when asked about the new defensive linemen: "A lot of names. Mostly I would say Matt Wann off the edge, we call him Captain America”

Last edited:
All we know:

A) Dimel starts season 6. We know he can recruit good JUCO’s; however, will he and his staff greatly underperform again?
B) Hardison, Hankins and Praise will start. Smith doesn’t want to be a backup at College Station (as per EPTimes) and he wants to return to the Miners, but he must wait for grades to post from TAMU.
E) Dimel’s offense has been mostly inefficient every year while at UTEP but shows surprising potency when clicking (Fresno, BSU).

With names and former P5 coaches like Kill & Rodriguez at the opposite side of the field & ready to go new HC Chadwell at “open checkbook” Liberty who runs a very potent hybrid offense and should challenge for CUSA divisional title (Liberty expected to be heavy favorites to win CUSA along with WKU) and a seasoned HC KC Keeler from SHSU, can Dimel get consistency on offense and beat them? He has the weapons but can he finally put it all together like he has been expected to do? Many fans say “No!” and are ready to move on. Jax State made big strides under Rodriguez with large margin wins but they’re an upstart and Rodriguez very recently tempered excited Jax State fans expectations by recently saying the jump to FBS will be very challenging. Game one is full of mistakes but If Dimel loses this first one, fans will bail even more and not return at all as fatigue with “same ol, same ol” hardens like concrete. They still remember game one vs UNT, the very ugly NMSU games and the huge lead blown fiasco at UTSA. Hardison was supposed to be UTEP’s next Jordan Palmer….they’re still waiting.

Back to the D line (say what you want Miner fans, like the rb’s, they’re really loaded):

“The new starter spots will be the promotions of end Mo Westmoreland and Tevita Tafuna but more notable is how many players, both new and returners, were rotating in behind them. Of the newcomers, end Kanious Vaughn and tackle Kadarion Johnson have stepped right into the two-deep”…...“End Praise Amaewhule is still the star, and still the player with the most interesting things to say when asked about the new defensive linemen: "A lot of names. Mostly I would say Matt Wann off the edge, we call him Captain America”
Brett Bloomquist is trying really hard to sell that car. Hardison has been the weak spot on this team for the last couple of years and if he doesn’t improve his touch, especially on those short routes I don’t know if we’re going to be anything more than a 3 and out team on offense again.

All we know:

Solid post!

Brett Bloomquist is trying really hard to sell that car. Hardison has been the weak spot on this team for the last couple of years and if he doesn’t improve his touch, especially on those short routes I don’t know if we’re going to be anything more than a 3 and out team on offense again.

Sad part is that I actually feel better about football than hoops at this point 😞
day-drinking.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT