ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Football

The D line is the beast of the group according to local news.
UTEP feeds the local sports media narratives now a days, state controlled media, more so the TV douche bags.

Meet up with Bret Bloomquist and buy him a beer and he’ll give you the real breakdown, he’s the only media guy actually watching football and not being a douchebag taking pictures and videos.

UTEP feeds the local sports media narratives now a days, state controlled media, more so the TV douche bags.

Meet up with Bret Bloomquist and buy him a beer and he’ll give you the real breakdown, he’s the only media guy actually watching football and not being a douchebag taking pictures and videos.
While I agree with you all schools spoon feed the sports media it can be a good thing and bad thing. Years back Kugler was telling the media "this kid is special" when AJ reported for camp his freshman year. He was spot on as far that goes. The bad that sticks out to me was Price singing the praises of Nick Lamaison when he came to UTEP. Price made us feel at times that one of the Manning boys were coming to UTEP. The "Who the f is this kid?!" that no one anticipated and lit up everyone when they arrived to UTEP has to be Demps and Jacob Cowing, IMO. Not even the coaches were hyping these guys their first camp and now they are UTEP legends.

Didn't that place get shut down about 5 years ago?

No.

No.

The one on the westside did, Fiesta Lanes.

It sucks because no one with money that owns a bowling center has a clue how to actually RUN one. It's amazing Bowl El Paso is still open. That place is run by an idiot.
Since I was a kid, SEVEN bowling centers have closed. (not counting on Ft Bliss) Old owners have died and family didn't want to handle it, in almost every case.

Anywho....back to UTEP crap..

Brett is cool. I remember the time he was sports editor and sent an email to the publisher mouthing off. He was a reporter later that day. LOL

It sucks because no one with money that owns a bowling center has a clue how to actually RUN one. It's amazing Bowl El Paso is still open. That place is run by an idiot.
Since I was a kid, SEVEN bowling centers have closed. (not counting on Ft Bliss) Old owners have died and family didn't want to handle it, in almost every case.

Jumping World opened at Fiesta Lanes and is operating a multi-entertainment venue. They know how to do that well. Their 10 or 12 bowling lanes are great! Unfortunately, their pins are on strings. But it's a nice venue with good food and beer.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966

I used to Bowl at Freeway Lanes, play some Pool. I don't know how Bowling died in El Paso. There used to be tons of leagues and it used to be Super Cheap. Always Packed every time I went.

I used to be on a Team and we had League Night and every Lane had 4 Bowlers. Now Everytime I go its more of an entertainment venue that has bowling. Doesn't seem like anyone is trying to get good at it.

The Old Fiesta Lanes is now JW Entertainment and they have a few Lanes but its pricey. And the Pins are on Strings, which is weird to me. When the Pins get set they follow over, and it racks over and over until they all stand upright.

I used to Bowl at Freeway Lanes, play some Pool. I don't know how Bowling died in El Paso. There used to be tons of leagues and it used to be Super Cheap. Always Packed every time I went.

I used to be on a Team and we had League Night and every Lane had 4 Bowlers. Now Everytime I go its more of an entertainment venue that has bowling. Doesn't seem like anyone is trying to get good at it.

The Old Fiesta Lanes is now JW Entertainment and they have a few Lanes but its pricey. And the Pins are on Strings, which is weird to me. When the Pins get set they follow over, and it racks over and over until they all stand upright.
On the plus side. Ft. Bliss is again open for business. They are making it easier for civilians to go on the base and they have a great bowling alley with leagues. Bliss is Back! Baby!

Reactions: T-6 Miner
What's wrong with taking pictures and videos?
Nothing. But When you’re taking videos and pictures you’re not looking at position groups, whose with the 1’s and 2’s, personnel groupings for skill guys that you can ID new packages, play designs, drill intensity, drill execution, drill effectiveness, whose that random dude tearing shit up with the 3’s, attention to detail in each drill by each coach, play counts in scrimmages etc….I can go on all day but that’s how you cover practices but what would I know….

Nothing. But When you’re taking videos and pictures you’re not looking at position groups, whose with the 1’s and 2’s, personnel groupings for skill guys that you can ID new packages, play designs, drill intensity, drill execution, drill effectiveness, whose that random dude tearing shit up with the 3’s, attention to detail in each drill by each coach, play counts in scrimmages etc….I can go on all day but that’s how you cover practices but what would I know….

IMO you can't identify much watching a practice. If you watched two random teams practicing you probably couldn't tell if the team is 10-0 or 0-10.

Reactions: kickballpro
Reactions: Lil_Train
IMO you can't identify much watching a practice. If you watched two random teams practicing you probably couldn't tell if the team is 10-0 or 0-10.

If you know what to look for you can. Kugler’s last season I knew they were gonna suck. It was some of the worst practices I’d ever been to.

If the coaches are coaching them hard, if it’s super organized, if there is a lot of enthusiasm, you get an idea that something good is happening.

One telling sign that things aren’t great is when the AD and/or several staff from the Athletic Department are there.

Email Dimel and Nick Saban also cc Kirby Smart and Mike Tomlin and ask them stop recording and watching live every drill and team period they do in spring practices since you can’t identify much watching practice then.

If you know what to look for you can. Kugler’s last season I knew they were gonna suck. It was some of the worst practices I’d ever been to.

If the coaches are coaching them hard, if it’s super organized, if there is a lot of enthusiasm, you get an idea that something good is happening.

One telling sign that things aren’t great is when the AD and/or several staff from the Athletic Department are there.
Exactly. At the very least just look at the body types. Under Kugler you saw a bunch of runty guys that called themselves a football team. So many of those guys were undersized for their positions.

Email Dimel and Nick Saban also cc Kirby Smart and Mike Tomlin and ask them stop recording and watching live every drill and team period they do in spring practices since you can’t identify much watching practice then.

Take off the team names on the jerseys and have both teams practice with the same uniform and you won't see a huge difference.

It's like somebody saying a player is going to be a star by watching a highlight tape from high school.

Take off the team names on the jerseys and have both teams practice with the same uniform and you won't see a huge difference.

It's like somebody saying a player is going to be a star by watching a highlight tape from high school.
No mames. You mean to tell me, you would not be able to tell the difference between Alabama and UTEP? It’d be like when any El Paso HS team played Lubbock/Midland teams in the 80s and 90s. You just saw the two teams and you knew we were gonna get killed.

Reactions: utep-piggy
No mames. You mean to tell me, you would not be able to tell the difference between Alabama and UTEP? It’d be like when any El Paso HS team played Lubbock/Midland teams in the 80s and 90s. You just saw the two teams and you knew we were gonna get killed.

You saw the two teams based on their uniforms. It was already in your head who was the better team.

i think we’ve found the one Miner fan dumber than Fili.

What's dumb about my comment? Let's say you put 75 Alabama players on a practice field wearing the same uniforms as 75 players from various other schools. You're telling me you could identify all 75 Alabama players right off the bat? I don't think so.

What's dumb about my comment? Let's say you put 75 Alabama players on a practice field wearing the same uniforms as 75 players from various other schools. You're telling me you could identify all 75 Alabama players right off the bat? I don't think so.
If you put every Alabama and UTEP scholarship football player in the exact same jersey. You would definitely be able to tell the difference in like 90% of the players. There's going to be body structure difference in the lineman and an athletic difference in the skill position players. We don't have a few players that can probably matchup relatively close, but those players won't preform in a scrimmage nearly as well.

If you put every Alabama and UTEP scholarship football player in the exact same jersey. You would definitely be able to tell the difference in like 90% of the players. There's going to be body structure difference in the lineman and an athletic difference in the skill position players. We don't have a few players that can probably matchup relatively close, but those players won't preform in a scrimmage nearly as well.

I really don't think so, but again it's just my opinion.

I'm not talking about a scrimmage. I'm talking about practice.

All you have to do is pick the biggest, most jacked looking guys and you’ll get a majority right. I remember going to the UTEP football meet and greets under Mike Price and the only guys that looked like legit NFL calibre athletes were Jordan Palmer (because he was so tall) and Thomas Howard. UTEP has rarely if ever produced a 6’3”/239 lb linebacker with Hulk Hogan Pythons. That 2017 UTEP team had 8 linebackers on their roster under 6’0”, and I bet they let them wear shoes while they checked their height so they could list them at 5’10” and 5’11”. Look at the photos of that 2017 UTEP team and just by looking at their faces you can see why they didn’t win a game. Everyone has a fat child’s face, or they look anemic or they look like a doofus. It sucks but it’s the truth. If you look at Alabama all the Lbs, OL, and DL have a square heads and huge necks.

All you have to do is pick the biggest, most jacked looking guys and you’ll get a majority right. I remember going to the UTEP football meet and greets under Mike Price and the only guys that looked like legit NFL calibre athletes were Jordan Palmer (because he was so tall) and Thomas Howard. UTEP has rarely if ever produced a 6’3”/239 lb linebacker with Hulk Hogan Pythons. That 2017 UTEP team had 8 linebackers on their roster under 6’0”, and I bet they let them wear shoes while they checked their height so they could list them at 5’10” and 5’11”. Look at the photos of that 2017 UTEP team and just by looking at their faces you can see why they didn’t win a game. Everyone has a fat child’s face, or they look anemic or they look like a doofus. It sucks but it’s the truth. If you look at Alabama all the Lbs, OL, and DL have a square heads and huge necks.

Majority right. That's possible with some guessing.

It's like watching pregame for basketball. Each team can shoot and make the baskets, but it's totally different when the game actually starts.

Every football team can practice, but you don't know how good the players are until the season starts.

It's interesting that you couldn't predict that Higgins, Darilek, Ward, Cousins, Demps, and Thomas would get drafted just by going to the meet and greets.

• Haha
Reactions: Vegasminer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT