ADVERTISEMENT

SPRING GAME THREAD

Buzz can kick. Punting unit is questionable.

QBs: Cade took it to Locklear. Seems like the staff wants Locklear to win the job though. Would really like Mouser to get more reps. With his size, if he can put it all together, that’s the future right there.
Sounds like we don't have a true #1 again. Hopefully this staff is not making the same mistake as Dimels'. They really need to find a #1 that fits their system.

Sounds like we don't have a true #1 again. Hopefully this staff is not making the same mistake as Dimels'. They really need to find a #1 that fits their system.
I "think" all positions were open for competition. Skylar naturally entered #1 because he knew the system and is familiar with Walden. Again, I "think" Cade has emerged as the #1 based off his play. When we get into the fall practices, we will see. We might see both play in games initially to see who is really QB1.

I kinda liked Pickles too He looks like the real dill. :)

I "think" all positions were open for competition. Skylar naturally entered #1 because he knew the system and is familiar with Walden. Again, I "think" Cade has emerged as the #1 based off his play. When we get into the fall practices, we will see. We might see both play in games initially to see who is really QB1.

I kinda liked Pickles too He looks like the real dill. :)
Walden said he will adjust the offense to the strengths of the players. If McConnell wins the competition, I expect the scheme will adjust to McConnells strengths, which would definitely not be running the ball out of read option. Probably would be a lot more passing. With Locklear, you'll get a stronger running game and will probably lose the passing threat that McConnell is.

Personally I would prefer Locklear because the skill players seem to fit Locklear better. I will always take a dual threat over a one dimensional pocket QB in an offense like Waldens. I would have liked a QB transfer but I don't think that's happening.

Ultimately, we won't know who Walden trusts more until August.

Reactions: kickballpro
Personally I would prefer Locklear because the skill players seem to fit Locklear better. I will always take a dual threat over a one dimensional pocket QB in an offense like Waldens. I would have liked a QB transfer but I don't think that's happening.

I agree with you to an extent....My biggest issue with Locklear is he tends to sidearm his throws. If we are going to be effective in the passing game, that just wont work. I think Cade has good legs, but he is more suited for the passing game, which we need.
I'd put money on Cade being the starter game 1 with Locklear getting a few reps

Im gonna roll with McConnell. I like Locklear’s running ability but if he can’t throw the defenses are going to key on the run and UTEP’s gonna be in deep trouble. McConnell is the better passer, and if UTEP needs to run the ball, that’s what the running backs are for.

I thought Cade looked good. On target and made plays. One bad decision. Granted he not going to run for 50 a game, but if he makes the right reads he won’t need to. Was not impressed with Locklear. He’s fast but throws were off and decision making wasn’t a quick as Cade’s.

Locklear looked good running that read option and if UTEP can bring him in on short yardage situations he can make for a great change of pace.

I hope not. That's a Dimel habit that I want to drop. Chose one and stick with him until he proves he needs to be benched.
But none of those QB could do ANYTHING right. They were all mediocre and that’s being nice. Dimmel was beyond one dimensional running the same play when Brownholtz came in, everyone and their mother knew the play call. If Locklear is more capable of running the RPO proficiently with his legs that’s completely different than Dimmel running the QB dive.

Reactions: MinerManiac
But none of those QB could do ANYTHING right. They were all mediocre and that’s being nice. Dimmel was beyond one dimensional running the same play when Brownholtz came in, everyone and their mother knew the play call. If Locklear is more capable of running the RPO proficiently with his legs that’s completely different than Dimmel running the QB dive.
I will respectfully disagree with your wishes for a change of pace QB.

Locklear looked good running that read option and if UTEP can bring him in on short yardage situations he can make for a great change of pace.

I hope not. That's a Dimel habit that I want to drop. Chose one and stick with him until he proves he needs to be benched.
I've seen the two quarterback rotation fail spectacularly at UTEP before. The worst was with Dimel, when he would bring Brownholtz in, and everybody knew exactly the play that he would run. It was excruciating to watch.

Not nearly as bad, but still a very poor use of two quarterbacks, was OC Gary Nord's use of Jay Stuckey and Rocky Perez in 99, Bailey's final season. He would alternate the quarterbacks each quarter. If one of them was hot in the first quarter they would find themselves on the bench in the 2nd, killing the momentum. We finished 5-7 that year, I maintain that if they had stuck with one of the two QBs as a full time starter we would have likely been bowl eligible.

However, Price was able to successfully bring in Lorne Sam as a change of pace to Jordan Palmer. I remember some big plays that Sam was able to make in that role

In my opinion giving the defense a different look occasionally can be a good thing. The key is not to over do it, or allow your play calling with the 2nd QB to be too predictable.

I've seen the two quarterback rotation fail spectacularly at UTEP before. The worst was with Dimel, when he would bring Brownholtz in, and everybody knew exactly the play that he would run. It was excruciating to watch.

Not nearly as bad, but still a very poor use of two quarterbacks, was OC Gary Nord's use of Jay Stuckey and Rocky Perez in 99, Bailey's final season. He would alternate the quarterbacks each quarter. If one of them was hot in the first quarter they would find themselves on the bench in the 2nd, killing the momentum. We finished 5-7 that year, I maintain that if they had stuck with one of the two QBs as a full time starter we would have likely been bowl eligible.

However, Price was able to successfully bring in Lorne Sam as a change of pace to Jordan Palmer. I remember some big plays that Sam was able to make in that role

In my opinion giving the defense a different look occasionally can be a good thing. The key is not to over do it, or allow your play calling with the 2nd QB to be too predictable.
That’s what I’m advocating. Dimel ran that same dumb ass QB dive play and he hit once with that play action TD in the bowl game. Locklear looks like he’s a stronger runner than Brownholtz and if the situation presents itself where he can come in, get some yards on an RPO or roll out for a throw then why not?

Reactions: MinerManiac
As long as there is a threat to throw, I’m fine with it. Dismel would never let B. throw, so 11 guys o. Defense knew it was a run. The
“ genius” of Dismel. So damn glad he’s gone!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT