ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl

jamasterj

MI Regular
Dec 3, 2001
The Sun Bowl is starting to show its age and it's not looking good. Did anybody catch the story on the piece of concrete falling off a couple of weeks ago? They were working on that 24/7 in order to have it ready for this game. Well besides that, I noticed where we were sitting, upper sec. 8, there were huge cracks in the floor that had been recently patched and poorly done I might add. In addition, for like 10 rows there was about a 2 ft. section of floor replaced and it was not flush with the rest of the row. As a result, the benches were all warped and bent, just horrible. The stadium just needs a major overhaul and quick because it is literally falling apart. Didn't think to take pics but I will next time.

Are you talking about the southeast section of the stadium? I was wondering why that area was blocked off about two weeks ago. It not just the Sun Bowl, but Kidd Field as well which is at least 30 years older. The problem is how will UTEP get the funds to renovate both facilities- private money; private/ public money; or the last thing either party wants 100% public financing.

Yup, which is sec 24, 25. As far as the funds go, with all the new buildings popping up around campus, the purse should be getting a lot lighter...they better think of something quick cuz the stadium is crumbling before our eyes.

The stadium is 53 years old and showing its age. Without any restoration, like any structure, it does slowly erode. It took them 2.5 years to build it. I wonder how long a proper renovation would take.

I would imagine it would have to start immediately following the Sun Bowl game and be finished by late August..that's 8 months. SWU park took just under a year and that was considered a major feat. Rent out Aggie Memorial, start the season on the road for the first 10 out of the 12 games...what other options would be out there?

They could renovate the SAC. It has plenty room around it, so more bleacher seats could be added and the locker rooms would have to be renovated. The SAC also has plenty of space for parking. I am sure they could get seating capacity to about 24,000-30,000 in the SAC.
The Canutillo High stadium can also be modified to add more bleacher seating around the stadium and there is room to make the locker rooms bigger.

Last edited:
The renovations to the Sun Bowl are coming. The south endzone complex, concourse and restroom remodels, sound system. They have issues with sun bowl structure every year. Mainly a result of rocks from the hills falling on the east side of the stadium after it rains.

The stadium is 53 years old and showing its age. Without any restoration, like any structure, it does slowly erode. It took them 2.5 years to build it. I wonder how long a proper renovation would take.

I hope they don't take as long as they did with La Plaza de Los Lagartos.
Cause if they do UTEP will end up playing at the SAC...

GO Miners...

Reactions: FarWestTexas
They could renovate the SAC. It has plenty room around it, so more bleacher seats could be added and the locker rooms would have to be renovated. The SAC also has plenty of space for parking. I am sure they could get seating capacity to about 24,000-30,000 in the SAC.
The Canutillo High stadium can also be modified to add more bleacher seating around the stadium and there is room to make the locker rooms bigger.

Just stop. This is ridiculous. You want to throw in Cohen Stadium whIle you're at it?

Why is it ridiculous?? Its about the only option if they can't use the Sun Bowl for a season.

Sun Devil Stadium (ASU) is in the middle of a major renovation and they did it in different phases, they could totally do that here.

Reactions: miner661
Bob Stull needs to start getting a fundraiser together and ask some big corps to shell out some money.

According to rumor, he has. A few months back there was a line that said he was going to announce renovations to the Sun Bowl, which included new press box and/or corporate and sponsored seating.

UTEP should call the Oklahoma Dept. of Transportation on how to make a dollar holler. They have no weight limits on commercial trucks and it takes a toll on their highway infrastructure and are constantly monitoring their highways (made of concrete) for safety.

Reactions: AZminer
Why is it ridiculous?? Its about the only option if they can't use the Sun Bowl for a season.

High School stadiums with bleachers to play major college ball. Yeah, that's a big time selling point to recruits. The Sun Bowl can and will be renovated in points, much like ASU. Some needs are more dire than others, but overall, it's still a great venue. Miner ball anywhere else in El Paso is out of the question, and it is just plain ridiculous.

Revenue through corporate suites (yet to be built) and a long-term naming sponsorship of the stadium is a must. I'm sure this is in the works for the athletic department...at least, I hope it is.

Yes because that's what every college has done this while they've renovated stadiums. This is so stupid.

Last edited:
"They could renovate the SAC. It has plenty room around it, so more bleacher seatscould be added and the locker rooms would have to be renovated. The SAC also has plenty of space for parking. I am sure they could get seating capacity to about 24,000-30,000 in the SAC.
The Canutillo High stadium can also be modified to add more bleacher seating around the stadium and there is room to make the locker roomsbigger."

It would be a great idea either with Canutillo or Socorro if they ever renovate Kidd Field for a possibility a year and half for the track meets. But with the Sun Bowl game, move it to Aggie Memorial Stadium. It happened when TCU rebuilt Amon G. Carter Stadium and the Armed Forces Bowl was relocated to SMU for two years.

http://www.gofrogs.com/facilities/tcu-facilities-football.html
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Armed_Forces_Bowl

I love the Sun Bowl and miss coming to the games. I hope they do a renovation on it and keep it close to same. I have been to many stadiums and it by far is one of my favorites.

Reactions: jdubb66
Yes because that's what every college has done this while they've renovated stadiums. This is so stupid.
You obviously are very weak in reading comprehension. I just answered a previous question about what other options are out there if the Sun Bowl was not available.

"They could renovate the SAC. It has plenty room around it, so more bleacher seatscould be added and the locker rooms would have to be renovated. The SAC also has plenty of space for parking. I am sure they could get seating capacity to about 24,000-30,000 in the SAC.
The Canutillo High stadium can also be modified to add more bleacher seating around the stadium and there is room to make the locker roomsbigger."

It would be a great idea either with Canutillo or Socorro if they ever renovate Kidd Field for a possibility a year and half for the track meets. But with the Sun Bowl game, move it to Aggie Memorial Stadium. It happened when TCU rebuilt Amon G. Carter Stadium and the Armed Forces Bowl was relocated to SMU for two years.

http://www.gofrogs.com/facilities/tcu-facilities-football.html
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Armed_Forces_Bowl
NMSU would be the best option but do you think NMSU would be so generous and let us use their stadium??

Why would the Sun Bowl not be available? The only scenario where the stadium would be unavailable is if they were going to straight up demolish the stadium. That's it. I think engineers in 2016 can renovate a stadium in phases so they don't impact the games in the fall. Good grief. Look at all the renovations going on to Notre Dame stadium right now, are they playing one game at a high school? There isn't a stadium in the city that can host college athletics and on top of it there would be no way in hell UTEP would work out a deal with NMSU to use their stadium, thus giving them a split of the revenue.

You don't have to move out for renovations. Arizona had an overhaul last year for the end zone, the Dolphins have evolved their stadium, Notre Dame, Lambeau, and the list goes on about places that didn't have to move out to renovate.

Does anyone remember a "claim staker" section at the Sun Bowl? I heard there used to be an entire section that parents could pay $1 for a ticket and send their kids there to watch the games. Damn near every kid in the city was in that section. Good way to fill the stands and they had a blast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT