ADVERTISEMENT

Ten Questions: UTEP Edition.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
1.). Does anybody remember back in the middle of December when Peytton Pickett signed with UTEP. UTEP officially announced it, which means that they recieved his LOI. Then with no explanation, he signed with UMASS in February? UTEP appears to have done just fine, by getting other quality RB's on Signing Day, but what happened here? Did he sign and UTEP later released him?, did UTEP announce him, but he had never signed? Will UTEP suffer any type of future penalty for signing and announcing an early enrollee who never enrolled?

2.). Does anybody remember back in the middle of March when Aaron Jones got arrested. He was supposed to have a pre-trial hearing at the end of March, his Lawyer seemed to think the charges would be dismissed, yet there has been no news since. What's a normal time frame for this type of thing?

3.). So what is Patrick Higgins doing these days? There doesn't seem to be any news on where he ended up?

4.). Speaking of Football Coordinators, was there more behind the story as to why Stoker was dismissed?

5.). Remember last month(and at least once a year for the past 3 years), when someone said that we are about to move to the MWC. It usually starts like a wild fire, then disappears after a month or so. But this time, even some of the local media jumped on it. Just wondering when this is going to happen?

6.). With Robertson-Harris and others not getting drafted this year, this means the last of Mike Price's Recruits have now all left UTEP. So the final number is that out of Mike Price's 9 Recruiting Classes at UTEP(over 200 players that he signed and brought here), only 1 player got drafted(Marcus Thomas)! That's it! How did Mike Price sign over 200 players during the 9 years that he was UTEP, yet only 1 guy that he signed got drafted by the NFL?

7.). Do you want to watch a video that will get you excited for next season? Just imagine how much fun it is going to be to watch this guy play again! And just think, he will now be an experienced Upperclassman:

8.). Is UTEP making any type of bid(s) for the upcoming CUSA Basketball Tournaments?

9.). Who will be UTEP's Starting QB and Center this year? Competition will hopefully bring out the best of the 5 guys involved here, but at this moment, our two biggest unresolved positions are directly up the middle.

10.). Based off of the guys that have signed with us, had everyone qualified, made it to Campus, and stayed all four years, then theoretically, this upcoming year our Starters and Back-Ups could have been:

PG: Isaac Hamilton(Sr.)/Dominic Artis(Sr.)
SG: Lee Moore(Sr.)/Andre Spight(Sr.)
SF: Chris Sandifer(Jr.)/Josh McSwiggin(So.)
PF: Vince Hunter(Sr.)/Terry Winn(So.)
C: Matt Wilms(Jr.)/ Kelvin Jones(Fr.)

So we still have 4 out of 10, what more do you guys want? :)

Last edited:
2.Ive wondered about Jones myself. He failed a field sobriety test and blew a.16 on a breathalizer. Jim Darnell the city's most prominent attorney is representing him. With a big gun like Darnell in his corner, I like his chances. I still look for Jones to be suspended for at least a game probably two.

3. As far as now he is unemployed, I know he hasnt gotten another job in fbs. That tells you just how inept a coordinator he was.

4. All ive heard is that it was a personality clash and his dismissal was not performance related. One of things I really respect about the Kugler regime is that there are no leaks. They are like the Patriots. They dont air their dirty laundry in public.

5. I think a move is likely, however. I wish it would not have been made public. I put the chances at 80%.

9. Qb will be an open contest. At center its no competition if Gatewood is healthy hes the starter. The jc kid Stalling really struggled in the spring. Gatewood is a great player im not worried about center.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Y'all forgetting that big center Floyd got in his very first class. He was suppose to replace arnnet moultrie? I forgot his name. But he never showed up.

Rashant Harris he never got his grades up. I think nobody from that class showed up.

Desmond Lee was also a signee in Floyd's first class. Wound up at Clemson after a stint in JC. Okay player, not great.

6.). With Robertson-Harris and others not getting drafted this year, this means the last of Mike Price's Recruits have now all left UTEP. So the final number is that out of Mike Price's 9 Recruiting Classes at UTEP(over 200 players that he signed and brought here), only 1 player got drafted(Marcus Thomas)! That's it! How did Mike Price sign over 200 players during the 9 years that he was UTEP, yet only 1 guy that he signed got drafted by the NFL?

:)

Cole Freytag is the last of the UTEP Mike Price recruits. Mike Price was really after this kid after an exceptional athletic career at Coronado High School. This kid was every dads dream for that child to excel in sports and get the d1 scholi.

As per UTEP site:

2013: Redshirted.
2012 (FRESHMAN): Participated in eight contests ... caught one pass for 11 yards (vs. Rice).

PRIOR TO UTEP: Three-year starter at Coronado HS in El Paso ... tabbed MVP of the city's Senior All-Star Football Classic after registering a pair of touchdown receptions ... other 2010 honors included first team All-District 1-5A for the athlete/kick returner position and district co-MVP ... played a multitude of positions throughout his career ... as a senior he passed for 563 yards and five scores while compiling 649 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns ... added 306 yards receiving while accounting for a 44.0-yard average and four TDs on kickoff returns ... reaped second team All-District recognition and honorable mention All-City accolades in 2009 ... picked up honorable mention All-District honors as a sophomore ... two-time member of his high school academic honor roll.

1.)

So we still have 4 out of 10, what more do you guys want? :)

2.). Does anybody remember back in the middle of March when Aaron Jones got arrested. He was supposed to have a pre-trial hearing at the end of March, his Lawyer seemed to think the charges would be dismissed, yet there has been no news since. What's a normal time frame for this type of thing?

- I wouldn't worry about it. The courts haven't forgotten. Win or lose, he'll probably do his team time with at least a two game suspension.

4.). Speaking of Football Coordinators, was there more behind the story as to why Stoker was dismissed?

- Same as MinerforLife, personality issues primarily, but like Miner, they're Fort Knox on this.

5.). Remember last month(and at least once a year for the past 3 years), when someone said that we are about to move to the MWC. It usually starts like a wild fire, then disappears after a month or so. But this time, even some of the local media jumped on it. Just wondering when this is going to happen?

- Until there's a press release announcing the move, I wouldn't get worked up over it. It's one of the longest teases in the history of being teased.

- The flip side is all of the players now are Kug's kids. So this will be interesting to see how it pans out going forward. The new OC and DC should bring some freshness to some staleness on both sides of the ball. Freshness helps with recruiting. So does winning. lol

7.). Do you want to watch a video that will get you excited for next season?

- No offense, but the the only video(s) I want to see is their hype video for 2016. Then the video of them winning a bowl game.

9.). Who will be UTEP's Starting QB and Center this year?

- Given Leftwich's injury, that competition is wide open.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT