ADVERTISEMENT

Terry needed 1 more recruit

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
For this season. Im shocked he couldnt 1 more body. It wouldve been a easy sell. Playing time right away.

For this season. Im shocked he couldnt 1 more body. It wouldve been a easy sell. Playing time right away.

Seriously, Fili? Terry came in late, and had a large number of scholarships to fill. Many here believed that he wouldn't be able to find much, as most impact high school players sign early. Still, he was able to bring in two quality freshmen big men in Efe and Eze, two highly sought after guards in Hawkins and Lathon, and a top notch small forward in Stroud. If you want to criticize him for focusing the rest of his efforts in the D1 transfer market, rather than building for this year with JC transfers, you might have an argument. I would disagree, as I believe that Terry's decision to go with proven players at this level will greatly aid us in the next two years, but at least you would have a valid argument. Oh, and recruiting is never easy. If it was, a lot more coaches would be able to hang on to their jobs.

Last edited:
Seriously, Fili? Terry came in late, and had a large number of scholarships to fill. Many here believed that he wouldn't be able to find much,

I think they spent more time on the transfers than for this year. I think coaching staff new this was a throw away season. Everyone here was saying we needed a JC big . And thats what this years squad is missing.

Utep shouldnt be losing to NMSU. Utep has the money and better facilities. That extra player probably gets us a win over NMSU.

In my opinion, in an ideal situation, Terry would have filled the final ride available on this year's team with a grad transfer hybrid 3/4. Thing is, when PT struggles or fouls out, which is often, there is no one to take his spot. The reality is there likely wasn't a guy good enough to fill in that spot as a one year rental. Next year, there will be several options available for Terry to go with at that spot, so there really wasn't a need for a two year guy. With Hawkins and Campbell now available, I think the depth issue is less of a factor, and hopefully the overall play will reflect that, especially on the defensive end.

The wins are coming soon. These last two games were winnable unlike the earlier ones. One undependable senior along with The Four Freshmen and two sophs are coming along and the coaches are learning how to utilize them to get max benefits.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Campbell petitioned the NCAA and became eligible. Yesterday was his 1st game and he gave Lathon a breather and provided depth when Lathon was in foul trouble. Personally I would have liked to have seen a graduate transfer big, but as Maniac mentioned CRT did a great job and Efe/Eze are holding their own. Getting Williams and Tarke were huge too. I think they with both be All-CUSA caliber next season.

Utep shouldnt be losing to NMSU. Utep has the money and better facilities. That extra player probably gets us a win over NMSU.
While I agree we NEED to be beating NmSu, fact is Terry is rebuilding.
You say ONE guy would have made the difference. Which one bro? Short time frame....limited time to recruit AND the fact you don't want to load ONE class where as you are in complete rebuild again in a few years...

Our young big guys are doing well....

I really love our big guys... I said earlier that I wasn’t too impressed with EZE and I was wrong — likes what I have seen the last two games along with lathon—-

Reactions: EPTUTEP
Big guys are hard to get as they are the rarest players available. Followed by wings. It's amazing he was able to get Efe and Eze and Hawkins too. Then he got Lathon a 4 star.

He got all the guys he got on short notice.

Floyd left him Gilyard and that's it. It's amazing what Terry has done.

I don't think Terry expected to have to try and break the mold with PT (being that he is senior and all). Its like he's trying to teach him how to play all over again, but PT just keeps his head straight and chugs along making the same mistakes. Their in-game interactions have been pretty brutal. I can see it on Terry's face, but he's not giving up. If he can sonehow get PT going that may help tremedously. We are now 9 deep.

Reactions: minermx07
While I agree we NEED to be beating NmSu, fact is Terry is rebuilding.
You say ONE guy would have made the difference. Which one bro? Short time frame....limited time to recruit AND the fact you don't want to load ONE class where as you are in complete rebuild again in a few years...

Our young big guys are doing well....

Everyone here new we needed another big. You guys really have some memory problems. Everyone here was saying we needed another jc big. I dont care if Utep is playing with the cheerleaders. Utep should never lose to NMSU.

I think they spent more time on the transfers than for this year. I think coaching staff new this was a throw away season. Everyone here was saying we needed a JC big . And thats what this years squad is missing.
Umm maybe there wasn't a JC big still available that Terry felt was worthy of a scholarship. Terry had a late start to recruiting. Or maybe he did offer a quality JC bigman and he said no. Why don't you go ask Terry to find out the real reason. Or compile a list of the available JC big men that were still available after Terry was hired here.

Reactions: minermx07
We can blame TF for this loss to NMSU and the previous eight years. Who’s fault is it that we have lost over 100 times to them in the last 100+ years? Don’t be ridiculous guys. We will win some and lose some against them. It’s how rivalries work.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerE
Everyone here new we needed another big. You guys really have some memory problems. Everyone here was saying we needed another jc big. I dont care if Utep is playing with the cheerleaders. Utep should never lose to NMSU.
I don't like the Naggies just like the next guy, but what have they done the last 8 years, that makes you think they stink so much we have no business losing to them? I agree the series definitely should be more even and not lopsided in one direction. However they've been pretty darn consistent compared to us and Terry just walked into this shipwreck. So maybe relax and see what he does to fix things browski!

EVERYONE? Incorrect. I never said that therefore your statement is false.
We have 2 good YOUNG bigs. A senior inside player that plays like a freshman guard.

Terry did a GREAT job since he arrived late. Cool your heals and watch these kids grow.

Furthermore, MANY teams lose to NMSU. To assume we should beat them every game is stupid. Even Duke loses to UNC.....

I don’t enjoy losing to our biggest rival but I’m also not a delusional fan. We don’t make SEC tv money or have multiple million dollar donars to entitle us to anything.

Doesn't UTEP make more money than NMSU ????

Im just saying Terry could have used another big in this class. Paul Thomas is playing out of his position. He is more of a SF than a PF.I like what Terry has done so far in recruiting .

Doesn't UTEP make more money than NMSU ????

Im just saying Terry could have used another big in this class. Paul Thomas is playing out of his position. He is more of a SF than a PF.I like what Terry has done so far in recruiting .

Yes. But to put it in perspective, it’s like you having 10 more bucks in your pocket than your buddy. What’s that $10 really gonna get you?

https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-813807.html

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT