ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Southern vs Fairleigh Dickinson

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
FDU (19-15) locked up an automatic berth on a technicality – simply by reaching the Northeast Conference final. The top seed Merrimack beat the Knights by a point in the conference championship, but the North Andover school was ineligible for the NCAA Tournament as a transitional Division I program.

Texas Southern's men's basketball (record 14-20) clinched berth to NCAA after a 61-58 win on Saturday in the Southwestern Athletic Conference Tournament championship game.

YSU playing OSU well. They are actually a step faster than the Cowboys.

FDU (19-15) locked up an automatic berth on a technicality – simply by reaching the Northeast Conference final. The top seed Merrimack beat the Knights by a point in the conference championship, but the North Andover school was ineligible for the NCAA Tournament as a transitional Division I program.

Texas Southern's men's basketball (record 14-20) clinched berth to NCAA after a 61-58 win on Saturday in the Southwestern Athletic Conference Tournament championship game.
Merrimack won their conference in their very first season in Division I and won a road game over Big Ten's Northwestern (who plays against Boise St. in the Dance tomorrow).

I'm not exactly sure what the purpose is to make a "transition" team sit out the postseason. If a team jumps from a lower division but is already capable of winning at their new division, why not let them compete in the postseason? I don't think they have any sort of unfair advantage if they're jumping from a lower division.

Reactions: JCorona and unihorn
Merrimack won their conference in their very first season in Division I and won a road game over Big Ten's Northwestern (who plays against Boise St. in the Dance tomorrow).

I'm not exactly sure what the purpose is to make a "transition" team sit out the postseason. If a team jumps from a lower division but is already capable of winning at their new division, why not let them compete in the postseason? I don't think they have any sort of unfair advantage if they're jumping from a lower division.
NCAA technicality, I guess. Agree with your point.

Last edited:

The logic is that it would prevent a loaded D2 team from jumping up, making the tournament and then deciding to drop back down shortly afterwards. Morris Brown, Winston Salem St, and Birmingham Southern all didn’t complete 4 year transitions and went back to D2. They all sucked though.

Reactions: EPUTEP
Texas Southern was the 8 seed in the SWAC tournament. They barely made their conference tournament.

The logic is that it would prevent a loaded D2 team from jumping up, making the tournament and then deciding to drop back down shortly afterwards. Morris Brown, Winston Salem St, and Birmingham Southern all didn’t complete 4 year transitions and went back to D2. They all sucked though.
So, ugly stepsisters not Cinderellas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT