ADVERTISEMENT

The dfference between Floyd and Kugler

MinerMambo

Starter
Sep 19, 2001
I listened to the post game show after the UNT win and several things crystalized. Kugler, for all his stubborness as a coach, is a good man. Plinke was interviewed by Teich (who called a hell of a game) and made it clear that he and Kugler were going to talk after the season to plan his post college career. Plinke said that Kugler told him that Kugler would help him get a shot in the league. Aaron Jones then came on and was asked his plans. He immediately said that Kugler suggested he get graded for the draft and that he and his family would talk with Kugler and make a decision. Bottom line, the players respect Kugler. Kugler then mentioned, and got emotional, that the win was for the seniors and he made it a point that all seniors got to play and then named some of the kids that will graduate. He also noted that he has done his best to recruit El Paso. It's hard not to root for Kugler as he loves his kids, the university, and our town. In many ways I hope Aaron decides to go pro as there is nothing left for him to prove at the college level and it will force Kugler to diversify his offense next year. My thought is that Kugler deserves one more year to perform with a winning record or he should be gone.

Contrast that with Floyd and you get yin and yang. Floyd is an egocentric guy who thinks he is gracing UTEP by his presence on the sideline. Everything comes after his agenda. Floyd has run off tons of players, called stupid press conferences, fought with opposing coaches, and consistently underperformed. I befriended a former UTEP player who graduated and the player said Floyd never went out if his way for his players - it was all about Floyd. The Winn situation sealed the deal for me as I am done attending UTEP bball until he leaves. He is not worthy of support. Winn is a good kid who worked his tail off in the off season (along with Artis) and began reading intensely on positivity. More will come out on the Winn situation.

Stull has destroyed UTEP athletics and needs to go. He simply does not care anymore and accepts mediocrity. Natalicio won't get rid of him because she thinks Stull did her a favor by taking the job to replace Thompson. Stull needs to realize that it is time for him to move on as the program is in shambles and needs to be gutted and rebuilt.

I listened to the post game show after the UNT win and several things crystalized. Kugler, for all his stubborness as a coach, is a good man. Plinke was interviewed by Teich (who called a hell of a game) and made it clear that he and Kugler were going to talk after the season to plan his post college career. Plinke said that Kugler told him that Kugler would help him get a shot in the league. Aaron Jones then came on and was asked his plans. He immediately said that Kugler suggested he get graded for the draft and that he and his family would talk with Kugler and make a decision. Bottom line, the players respect Kugler. Kugler then mentioned, and got emotional, that the win was for the seniors and he made it a point that all seniors got to play and then named some of the kids that will graduate. He also noted that he has done his best to recruit El Paso. It's hard not to root for Kugler as he loves his kids, the university, and our town. In many ways I hope Aaron decides to go pro as there is nothing left for him to prove at the college level and it will force Kugler to diversify his offense next year. My thought is that Kugler deserves one more year to perform with a winning record or he should be gone.

Contrast that with Floyd and you get yin and yang. Floyd is an egocentric guy who thinks he is gracing UTEP by his presence on the sideline. Everything comes after his agenda. Floyd has run off tons of players, called stupid press conferences, fought with opposing coaches, and consistently underperformed. I befriended a former UTEP player who graduated and the player said Floyd never went out if his way for his players - it was all about Floyd. The Winn situation sealed the deal for me as I am done attending UTEP bball until he leaves. He is not worthy of support. Winn is a good kid who worked his tail off in the off season (along with Artis) and began reading intensely on positivity. More will come out on the Winn situation.

Stull has destroyed UTEP athletics and needs to go. He simply does not care anymore and accepts mediocrity. Natalicio won't get rid of him because she thinks Stull did her a favor by taking the job to replace Thompson. Stull needs to realize that it is time for him to move on as the program is in shambles and needs to be gutted and rebuilt.

Well said, minermambo...well said. Couldn't agree more.

The Winn situation sealed the deal for me as I am done attending UTEP bball until he leaves. He is not worthy of support. Winn is a good kid who worked his tail off in the off season (along with Artis) and began reading intensely on positivity. More will come out on the Winn situation.
I won't be attending any UTEP bball games this year either.

Good post!
I'm heartbroken I didn't attend the game on Saturday. To watch possibly Aaron Jones play for the last time at UTEP? Watch them kick UNT's "A" ! haha
But familia came first....and screw the 2pm start time :mad:

Why does Winn "seal the deal" with Floyd for most on here, but Kugler can't get past a team like La Tech, ODU or FAU and FIU for that matter? UTEP has @OU, Arizona, @NMSU and @ Army to start off next year and do you all really think he will suddenly adopt to modern college football and compete against Army or Arizona no less (he better beat NMSU, that's a given). Let me guess, what about the offenses at Navy or Georgia Tech you all say? They're dying offenses for pete sake!! Hell, let's fire Kugler and offer Solich more money to come to west Texas; I'm sure he'll do a helluva a lot better than Kugler.

Kugler is a good person, there was never an issue about that and his body of work about his approach towards the philosophy of the student athlete speaks for itself, he puts his money where his mouth is, the rubber hits the road, and all that happy horse poop. But unless the Salvation Army gives some of it's red kettle Christmas donations to starving mid major athletic programs, UTEP is in one heck of a pickle. The power football gods want to do away with the UTEP's, NMSU's, FIU's and so on. They have been on public record about it and say FBS (formerly known as D-1A) is too watered down and the NCAA let in to many programs. And this is not even from the coaches like OU Coach Bob Stoops, but the actual chancellors and presidents of the P5 programs agree and if the mid majors want to be part of picture, you need to put up (some money) or shut up and go away. That's why the 5/15 rule came about: Division minimum of 5 home games with at the very least 15,000 in the stands. Failure to do so could possibly make the college drop down (or do away with football all together as some colleges have decided to do). NMSU is dangerously on that edge and they are scrambling around trying to avoid it. UTEP, if kept under Kugler's leadership, is heading down that road. UTEP, and all FBS schools, need that "casual fan" even if he could care less. College football is the main cash cow! It help funds the other men and women programs. If supporters and fans want Floyd and Stull gone, Kugler should be at the top of the list, IMO.

Why does Winn "seal the deal" with Floyd for most on here, but Kugler can't get past a team like La Tech, ODU or FAU and FIU for that matter? UTEP has @OU, Arizona, @NMSU and @ Army to start off next year and do you all really think he will suddenly adopt to modern college football and compete against Army or Arizona no less (he better beat NMSU, that's a given). Let me guess, what about the offenses at Navy or Georgia Tech you all say? They're dying offenses for pete sake!! Hell, let's fire Kugler and offer Solich more money to come to west Texas; I'm sure he'll do a helluva a lot better than Kugler.

Kugler is a good person, there was never an issue about that and his body of work about his approach towards the philosophy of the student athlete speaks for itself, he puts his money where his mouth is, the rubber hits the road, and all that happy horse poop. But unless the Salvation Army gives some of it's red kettle Christmas donations to starving mid major athletic programs, UTEP is in one heck of a pickle. The power football gods want to do away with the UTEP's, NMSU's, FIU's and so on. They have been on public record about it and say FBS (formerly known as D-1A) is too watered down and the NCAA let in to many programs. And this is not even from the coaches like OU Coach Bob Stoops, but the actual chancellors and presidents of the P5 programs agree and if the mid majors want to be part of picture, you need to put up (some money) or shut up and go away. That's why the 5/15 rule came about: Division minimum of 5 home games with at the very least 15,000 in the stands. Failure to do so could possibly make the college drop down (or do away with football all together as some colleges have decided to do). NMSU is dangerously on that edge and they are scrambling around trying to avoid it. UTEP, if kept under Kugler's leadership, is heading down that road. UTEP, and all FBS schools, need that "casual fan" even if he could care less. College football is the main cash cow! It help funds the other men and women programs. If supporters and fans want Floyd and Stull gone, Kugler should be at the top of the list, IMO.
And Floyd can't get past SE Louisiana, New Orleans, UTSA, USM, FAU, FIU, etc. And, you could probably add Northwestern St. to that list in a couple of days.

Neither have produced all that much on the field. Why is the Winn situation the last straw? Because after the transfers, the kids leaving early, the kids never making it campus, the feuds with coaches, the feuds with the media, the feuds with the refs, and now apparently lying to everyone involved with why one of our best players left the team, there really aren't any straws left. Kugler at least has some straws left for us.

Why are you able to give Floyd every benefit of the doubt while giving Kugler absolutely none?

We went from going to Memphis and winning under Barbee to getting smoked at home v SE Louisiana. What has been Tim Floyd's signature win?

I'll play.

His 30(?) point win against Memphis his first year.

The Tennessee win in one of the pre season tourneys.

The Xavier win in the pre season tourney two years ago.

Good wins. But they don't even come close to outweighing the terrible losses.

I'll play.

His 30(?) point win against Memphis his first year.

The Tennessee win in one of the pre season tourneys.

The Xavier win in the pre season tourney two years ago.

Good wins. But they don't even come close to outweighing the terrible losses.
Xavier. It pretty much marks the high water mark of Floyd's stint. It's interesting to see the direction of both programs since. Xavier was probably a little better on paper than we were, but not by much. One of those if we played 10 times, it would be 6-4 at worst. Since? Xavier went to the Sweet Sixteen that year, the round of 32 last year, and have been in the polls pretty consistently over the last year and a half. And we are where we are.

Floyd completely unmasked himself as an egotistical, delusional, tyrannical bully and dick when he attacked Kappy the way he did.

I'd pay $1,000 to watch Kugler kick Floyd's teeth in.

I had not seen this before, I am totally blown out: This arrogant clown has to go A.S.A.P.

Last edited:
I had not seen this before, I am totally blown out: This arrogant clown has to go A.S.A.P.

The reporter who set Floyd off in that press conference speculating that Winn was leaving (Kappy?) turned out to be right -- just a few months early.

I also love the part where he talks about being around great reporters in Chicago, LA, etc. He thinks he's the only person in El Paso who has had jobs in big markets.

Wonder if he considers Bill Knight a "great" reporter since Knight licks Floyd's balls so often?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT