ADVERTISEMENT

The History of UTEP Football

You know what happened? The 70s. UTEP’s last winning season before 1987 (7-4) was 1970 (6-4). Prior to that UTEP had accumulated a respectable but not great .541 winning percentage. Between 1971 and 1986 The Miners won a total of 30 games
Here’s the breakdown:
0 win seasons: 1 (73)
1 win seasons: 7 (75, 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 85,
2 win seasons: 5 (72, 79, 82, 83, 84)
3 win seasons: 0
4 win seasons: 2 (74, 86)
5 win seasons: 1 (71)

That’s 30 wins in 16 seasons, with almost half coming in 3 years.

By the end of the 1986 season The Miners had a .431 win percentage. Our wins in that time span included games vs. Texas-Arlington, Cal St. Long Beach, NMSU, Weber St, Idaho St, and Northern Michigan. Seriously, WTF. Just looking at that on paper, I almost want to say Stull and Kugler weren’t that bad in the end.

There’s a reason UTEP fans have given up on football for generations and this is the reason. You have people in their 50s-60s who saw nothing but futility in their formative years, and their kids who were born in the 80s saw just as bad, and now their kids have seen worse. Our program has won less than 40% of all games played.

Last edited:
A large part why our football program is pathetic is because of Natalicio. We have a had a president for the last 30 years that doesn't give a rats ass about football and athletics. I think things would be a lot different if we had a president who understands the benefits of having a successful football program. Hopefully our new president is pro athletics. Otherwise it is going to be the same old shit in football.

I hated Natalicio’s tenure at UTEP with regards to athletics as much as anyone’s, but The President/AD/Coaches who presided over the university from 1970 - 1988 when she took over were just as bad. There is way more than enough blame to go around in my opinion.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Pains me to face facts, UTEPMiners8106, but you just might be right. We were highly competitive in 1970, with a 6-4, beating Arizona and Wyoming handily with junior QB Billy Craigo throwing out of our triple option veer offense. We were PDG on defense, too, with Don Croft (NFL Bills), Eric Washington (Cardinals), Brooks West, Tony Perea, James Sanson and the boys.

Just about then, Head Coach Bobby Dobbs began to show more signs of cognitive recall issues. Meanwhile, the A.D. office was not exactly a beehive of fund-raising ideas. While our traditional foes (Arizona, BYU, A-State, even Colorado State and UNM) were pumping money into their programs. While we ran out of gas, TCU looked at us in the rearview mirror, too. It brings me no joy to see UTEP get left behind.

If you started shooting at culprits with your index finger, you would run out of ammo, right quick.

You played for The Miners in the 70’s right HeWore62? As much as we all complain about Natalicio and Stull and Kugler and Floyd etc. How was the Athletic Department back then? UTEP had a great run in basketball/football in the 60s so was it just a lack of money that killed all the momentum?

66 was a blessing but long term it's been a curse. Its should never have been a curse but it's been used as a crutch by administrations for over 50 years. Basketball peaked in 66 and has never come close to another championship. The football program went from 67 to 88 with no bowl game. Football hasn't been fully funded to a level needed to be competitive until recently. The basketball tradition has been dead for decades. When were admitted to cusa we were advertised as one of only two schools in the g5 that could average 40,000 in football, 10,000 in basketball. This year we're down to 14,000 and 4,500. I think we've the floor in football attendance. Basketball still has a majority of season ticket holders over 65. I think the floor is 3,500 in hoops.

For the years we've pounded our chest about 66. Rightfully so it should always be a source of great pride. However. It doesnt have anything to do with on court success now. 66 has always over inflated our basketball pedigree. After the 60's we,'ve averaged 2 trips to the tourney a decade. The outlier being the 80's when we went to 6. The last quarter of century has been especially bad. In the world of college hoops we're a one hot wonder and we've played the hell out of that one hit.

To get us out of this hole like every other g5 school football has to lead the way. We have to become consistent winner in football. We're taking steps in the right direction. We're in eating in facilities. Then you bring up basketball. You dont honor 66 by wearing their jerseys and getting curbed stomped. You honor them by building a consistently winning program. The key word with UTEP is CONSISTENSY. We've proven we can win at a football and basketball. The three previous football coaches have all led us to winning seasons and bowl games. The three hoops coaches before floyd led us to NCAA tourney appearances. What neither sport has proven is that they can be consistent winners in modern day college athletics. I think we can but it's going to take vision and hard. We're going to have to cut the excuses and bull shit and build tradition brick by brick.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
A large part why our football program is pathetic is because of Natalicio. We have a had a president for the last 30 years that doesn't give a rats ass about football and athletics. I think things would be a lot different if we had a president who understands the benefits of having a successful football program. Hopefully our new president is pro athletics. Otherwise it is going to be the same old shit in football.

Do not forget about the track program, look at the dump that they practice and have their meet(s). It's pretty much an afterthought in the 915.

When TCM played EPHS (the only high school in the area until Bowie High in 1927), I'll venture to guess some those high schoolers were farm boys & wranglers & sons of smelter town workers. A mighty tough bunch.

You played for The Miners in the 70’s right HeWore62? As much as we all complain about Natalicio and Stull and Kugler and Floyd etc. How was the Athletic Department back then? UTEP had a great run in basketball/football in the 60s so was it just a lack of money that killed all the momentum?
Yes, I was in the belly of the beast in the late-1960s and early-70s. In every sport, we were competitive, within our conference and nationally. In my opinion (worth every bit you pay for it), several factors derailed the train:

(*) Title IX -- As much as it helped women's athletics, it spread UTEP's finite resources thin. When government chose winners (all women sports) from losers (baseball, wrestling et al) the mandate became a net negative for men. {so much for political correctness}

(*) Integration -- Face it, when other universities in the Southwest snubbed black athletes, our Texas Western, later UTEP, prospered from those dubious policies. Now, we compete for the top kids, on equal footing. When a kid, black or white, began comparing our fan base and TV exposure to other schools, especially in the Central and Eastern time zones, our freckles become obvious.

(*) Leadership -- I'm no Natalicio basher, for lack of inside info. I can't see how she has been a major proponent of athletics. It stuns me to learn pur Miners do not have a training table (more on this later). But I don't view her as our more recent problem. Net neutral for Miners athletics, but a massive boost for my alma mater into Tier 1 status and growth. Saludos, Dr. Natalicio.

However ... We once had the ultimate promoter and fund-raiser in our own village -- Wayne Vandenburg, who built national champs in track and field. Alas, the late A.D. George McCarty ran him off. A wiser university president would have flipped the paradigm ... by firing McCarty and replacing him with Vandenburg.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT