ADVERTISEMENT

Think we're ready for CUSA play

USAFminersfan

MI Regular
Nov 8, 2008
I like our chances more and more in conference play. This team has some fight!

Recently, they've played tough on the road against both Marquette and UNM, and at home against NMSU. Each of those games have been tougher than the last, yet each of those games we have been in it till the end. That proves one thing-- these close games against "superior" teams are no fluke. These kids can play, and they're only getting better.

Good to see some effective coaching, and guys playing with some damn heart again. It's been a while but things finally looking up with CRT at the helm

Reactions: Lil_Train
Marquette is head and shoulders above anyone in the league.NMSU is as good as anyone. UNM will end up being as good as anyone in the league. The conference is weak. I said the other day this team will go on a run during conference play. They wont finish lower than third. See yall in Frisco.

Per my post in the Marquette thread(which I added below), my prediction is that we will peak in the middle of the season and then fade down the stretch. A 3rd place finish seems a bit too ambitious to me, but I would certainly love to see it.

“Just a random thought; but I wonder if our basketball team this season will end up like our football team and they will peak in the middle of the season and then fade down the stretch? One would think that this is very likely as we are playing so many freshmen and freshmen will often hit a “freshman wall” towards the end of their first season as they aren’t used to a full D1 schedule yet. Plus we have such a short rotation, that it might be natural that our young guys could continue to get more and more banged up the longer that the season goes on. I remember that this happened during the season that Aaron and Alvin Jones were brought in to play. UTEP played it’s best ball with a short rotation during the middle of that season and then they just ran out if gas towards the end of the year, ironically losing to a Rodney Terry team. I would love to see a straight arrow of continued improvement for the entire season, but just want to give a cautious heads-up that maybe we shouldn’t get too disapointed this particular year if some of the above happens.”

Reactions: USAFminersfan
There is one big difference between this team and the one you compared this team to. Floyd coached the team that faded and CRT is our coach now. I don't think this team will fade.

Reactions: Lil_Train
If they continue to show confidence and fight as they have against NMSU and Marquette, we should compete for the conference title.

Hopefully Hawkins is ok. We
There is one big difference between this team and the one you compared this team to. Floyd coached the team that faded and CRT is our coach now. I don't think this team will fade.

I don't think they'll fade, either. They're all young and look to be in fantastic shape, Odigie being the lone exception.

I think 4-7 and a CBI is possible which for a young team can do wonders. Can't wait to get rid of P. Thomas and replace him with Williams. Also the other transfers along with the freshman this year and Gilyard. We may be scary good Next year and the following!!!

Remember, the CBI will take any team with a losing record that is willing to pay. “Making” the CBI is no accomplishment and is solely dependent on Terry and Senter deciding if it’s beneficial to UTEP.

Remember, the CBI will take any team with a losing record that is willing to pay. “Making” the CBI is no accomplishment and is solely dependent on Terry and Senter deciding if it’s beneficial to UTEP.

Lord knows you won’t have helped them pay.

Fans don’t pay the CBI directly. Not sure what you’re referring to.
giphy.gif

Not an accomplishment so much as extra practice time for a new team and build confidence for next year. CTI is snotgan oprioo. The point is, the same as a crappy bowl game for a young team. It's meant to build on following year!

Not an accomplishment so much as extra practice time for a new team and build confidence for next year. CTI is snotgan oprioo. The point is, the same as a crappy bowl game for a young team. It's meant to build on following year!

If it's not the NCAA or NIT forget it. The guys get plenty of practice in the summer.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
A practice in summer could never simulate a live game with people in the stands and the feeling in your gut of win or go home.

Guys scrimmaging everyday in the summer are very competitive. They all think they are the best they go hard. A CBI game in front of 3000 people against central Connecticut state is going to have no lasting impact on a team. Standards are important the NCAA or the NIT nothing else.

I agree it’s to build, but it’s up to CT and JS and not the same as the NIT or NCAA.

Have no idea what “CTI is snotgan oprioo” means though.

If it's not the NCAA or NIT forget it. The guys get plenty of practice in the summer.

I’m with you on this one. I think it has become cliche to say that it gives the team extra practice.

I think the energy and direction of the team at season’s end should determine whether they pay-to-play. It’s not black and white, imo. It can be beneficial and it can be a waste of resources and time.

For what it’s worth, UTEP had a long CBI run in the year before we made the NCAA tournament against Butler. We also added a very important piece in Character, but I think that getting some post season experience was important for that particular team and it really helped us be succesful the following year.

But then on the flip side, the last time that we played in the CBI.....not so much.

Young teams tend to play to their competition. So to finish in the upper of the conference would be a win. That being said, the way this team has played lately, the future sure looks bright.

I stand by what I said I think around 5th.... once teams start really understanding our freshman and what they can do they will try to take those things away and that’s when I think the team will hit the freshman wall and lose a few games that will keep them from the top...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT