ADVERTISEMENT

This is our guy

Swagger, experience, rising star, offensive minded, appeals to players, youth, first year success in Vegas, recruiting. youth and experience, cut his teeth on our level of football, salary expectation.
What about his offense do you like scheme wise? The didn't look very impressive when we played them. Do you want another run first offense?

I like the fact that they were incredibly dynamic. Lots of options, giving the defense a lot to think about. I thought that the 45 points they hung on us was pretty impressive.
What was dynamic? We missed tackles like it was our job. They had two plays that really fooled the players at best. They're a middle of the pack offense in the NCAA FBS level.

What was dynamic? We missed tackles like it was our job. They had two plays that really fooled the players at best. They're a middle of the pack offense in the NCAA FBS level.
They fooled us on every run dude. They kept us off balance every play. We have a decent D but they were fooled all night. I think they average over 6 yards a carry. They did the same thing to vandy and most of the teams they've played. Their top 3 rushers averaged over 7 yards a carry. You really don't have a leg to stand on here. Move on. Give me another argument.

They fooled us on every run dude. They kept us off balance every play. We have a decent D but they were fooled all night. I think they average over 6 yards a carry. They did the same thing to vandy and most of the teams they've played.
Our run defense is absolutely atrocious. We're 127 in FBS with a 5.6 yards per carry average. Every team we've played except for the FCS team has had above 4.5 yards per carry against us. What type of run plays fooled us in your opinion? Is he doing something special with his blocking scheme?

Reactions: MinerFan79
Our run defense is absolutely atrocious. We're 127 in FBS with a 5.6 yards per carry average. Every team we've played except for the FCS team has had above 4.5 yards per carry against us. What type of run plays fooled us in your opinion? Is he doing something special with his blocking scheme?
I think you have to recruit guys that can block first before you worry about blocking schemes.

You know, when I drew up Dimel's most successful play, the play that is revolutionizing football right now, what some disrespectfully call the "Tush Push", I didn't worry about blocking schemes. I saw the big picture, a more intelligent method. I applied Jdubb genius and I put the play into practical application and boom, now the whole world is using the play. Sometimes you need to put technicalities aside and become a true visionary. Senter, now is your chance. What are you gonna do? Put Jdubb genius to work for you.

I think you have to recruit guys that can block first before you worry about blocking schemes.

You know, when I drew up Dimel's most successful play, the play that is revolutionizing football right now, what some disrespectfully call the "Tush Push", I didn't worry about blocking schemes. I saw the big picture, a more intelligent method. I applied Jdubb genius and I put the play into practical application and boom, now the whole world is using the play. Sometimes you need to put technicalities aside and become a true visionary. Senter, now is your chance. What are you gonna do? Put Jdubb genius to work for you.
Sounds like you have no football reasoning behind why you want this guy to be the next head coach. That's probably how coach Dimel became the head coach in the first place.

Sounds like you have no football reasoning behind why you want this guy to be the next head coach. That's probably how coach Dimel became the head coach in the first place.

There were great reasons posted. Go back and read the posts.

Reactions: jdubb66
Great find jdubb. He is very intriguing and unique. I really liked that comment from his former player stating that “He always comes in with alot of juice, a lot of energy, a lot of swag. As a young guy , we can relate to that and that just turns it up even more”. I think he could recruit well here and get his players to buy in and play hard for the guy.

Ya it’s a running offense, but it’s putting up 36 ppg so far. If this continues during MW conference play, he is definitely somebody to keep an eye on. He seems like one of those assistant coaches that you are going to be like “damn” we could have had this guy but we passed on him when he is doing great things at another school. That article gives me good vibes about this guy.

Last edited:
There were great reasons posted. Go back and read the posts.
Those are not quantifiable facts. There's no way to know if young players like him. I'm sure some do and I'm sure some don't. The fact is he's been an offensive coordinator for four seasons. None of those seasons has he produced a high scoring offense. So I was wondering if the original poster knew something about him that the numbers don't show. It appears he didn't know anything about him other than what was written in a puff piece about him. That is not how utep should be picking its next coach. There are a lot of high energy guys in coaching that can't coach a lick.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Great find jdubb. He is very intriguing and unique. I really liked that comment from his former player stating that “He always comes in with alot of juice, a lot of energy, a lot of swag. As a young guy , we can relate to that and that just turns it up even more”. I think he could recruit well here and get his players to buy in and play hard for the guy.

Ya it’s a running offense, but it’s putting up 36 ppg so far. If this continues during MW conference play, he is definitely somebody to keep an eye on. He seems like one of those assistant coaches that you are going to be like “damn” we could have had this guy but we passed on him when he is doing great things at another school. That article gives me good vibes about this guy.
They're scoring 36ppg because their 9th in the country in turnovers gained. Short fields often leads to points.

Those are not quantifiable facts. There's no way to know if young players like him. I'm sure some do and I'm sure some don't. The fact is he's been an offensive coordinator for four seasons. None of those seasons has he produced a high scoring offense. So I was wondering if the original poster knew something about him that the numbers don't show. It appears he didn't know anything about him other than what was written in a puff piece about him. That is not how utep should be picking its next coach. There are a lot of high energy guys in coaching that can't coach a lick.

Go back and read the posts and the article. This is his 13th year as a coach and he is young. He is the type of coach UTEP needs.

Go back and read the posts and the article. This is his 13th year as a coach and he is young. He is the type of coach UTEP needs.
I read it. He's only been coordinator 4 years. None of those 4 have been great offensive years. They've been average. There's nothing about his game plan against UTEP that looked unique. We had something like 20 missed tackles in that game. Cut that in half and we probably hold them under 30. I'm all for giving up and comers a shot, but this guy's is average. UNLV averages 5.78 yards per play. We currently average 5.21 yards per play. I don't think anyone would consider us to be an explosive offense and they shouldn't for UNLV either. Their defense is why they score the points they do.

I read it. He's only been coordinator 4 years. None of those 4 have been great offensive years. They've been average. There's nothing about his game plan against UTEP that looked unique. We had something like 20 missed tackles in that game. Cut that in half and we probably hold them under 30. I'm all for giving up and comers a shot, but this guy's is average. UNLV averages 5.78 yards per play. We currently average 5.21 yards per play. I don't think anyone would consider us to be an explosive offense and they shouldn't for UNLV either. Their defense is why they score the points they do.

He's a young guy that would put a spark into the football program, but to each their own.

Butts in seats with a beer budget.

How does UTEP get past Dimel and get that next Mike Price who had average attendance from low to mid 30k but can at least field a competitive program?

The thing that irks me about Rodriguez is that JSU hired him at 500k. After he won 9 games his first year he got a raise and extension. You’re telling me we couldn’t have hired him at a similar starting salary?
I hate to say this, but UTEP Football isn't a desirable job. If it's a young assistant wanting to get a boost in their career this isn't the place. When's the last time a Utep football coach got snatched away from Utep, because of his success here??? As much as I want a quality FCS coach like Eck, UTEP would mean a raise, but would it actually be a good career move for him? Utep's best bet is as a 2nd chance U, that's how we got Price. So what I'm saying is Utep probably needs to take a chance on a coach with some dirt under his finger nails, like a Mel Tucker just as an example. I'm all for getting a quality FCS HC or successful OC from a P5, but idk if they'll want us.

I hate to say this, but UTEP Football isn't a desirable job.
Is it though?

Low expectations and job security. Want to have your son or daughter finish middle and high school in the same place? UTEP football coach is the job for you.

Make 1 bowl game in 5 years and start year 6 1-5. No problem, still employed!

Do you like taking “softball” questions from the local media? This is the job for you. Local media is too “scared” to ask you real questions.

Do you hate being booed? Now the Sun Bowl is so empty, there’s very few boo birds. No need to put pressure on yourself or change anything.

Sounds like a ****ing good job to me.

Is it though?

Low expectations and job security. Want to have your son or daughter finish middle and high school in the same place? UTEP football coach is the job for you.

Make 1 bowl game in 5 years and start year 6 1-5. No problem, still employed!

Do you like taking “softball” questions from the local media? This is the job for you. Local media is too “scared” to ask you real questions.

Do you hate being booed? Now the Sun Bowl is so empty, there’s very few boo birds. No need to put pressure on yourself or change anything.

Sounds like a ****ing good job to me.
Exactly. UTEP pays a decent amount too with Dimel getting $829k. No reason an up and coming coach would pass that up. Do the gig for 5+ years depending on success and eventually move onto either another coaching gig or OC/DC at a larger school.

Who is a better option in your opinion and why? You're not offering up too many solutions.

I hate to say this, but UTEP Football isn't a desirable job. If it's a young assistant wanting to get a boost in their career this isn't the place. When's the last time a Utep football coach got snatched away from Utep, because of his success here??? As much as I want a quality FCS coach like Eck, UTEP would mean a raise, but would it actually be a good career move for him? Utep's best bet is as a 2nd chance U, that's how we got Price. So what I'm saying is Utep probably needs to take a chance on a coach with some dirt under his finger nails, like a Mel Tucker just as an example. I'm all for getting a quality FCS HC or successful OC from a P5, but idk if they'll want us.
You literally just described Rodriguez and his situation when we had an opening. He didn’t really have too many options either after his days at Arizona. Senter probably didn’t even consider him but he was available along with Dimel.

A year and less than half at JSU and Rodriguez is already getting close to matching Dimel’s win total in his 6+ years here at UTEP.

But yeah. We’re poor is the excuse. Naw we’re idiots.

There’s coaches out there that will come for the money and a chance to prove themselves. In this age you are going to get noticed quick if you turn the program around.
We may only have him(or her) for a few years and then it’s on to the next, I don’t have a problem with that. No need for coaches to be here for 15. Or 20 years.

Looks great on paper. VERY young. Texas kid from Seminole. Can he recruit?
No way to know if he can recruit. I think his offensive scheme will help. The young men today want to play in systems that are wide open and high-paced. He has shown that the last two seasons in two different places.

Disagree, respectfully. Mike Price was a UTEP fan choice by and large. Eighteen Rabbit (no longer posts on here) started a petition for his hiring. The only one that I can remember reserving judgement on Price was Kappy who voiced his analysis based on Price's resume, which proved to be right. Nord was literally a hostage situation by the seniors on the football team members led by Mosh Pit Merkens I believe. Good recruiter that can find hidden gems but panned out to be a not so good head coach. Stull had publicly regretted that decision and vowed to never do that again (at that point in time). David Lee was a hot young assistant out of Arkansas as was Stull with UMass. Finally, I do remember Senter stating that some really good assistants applied after Kugler left and one was one of the hottest names in the country (he furnished no names) but he wanted way more than UTEP could offer.

My question is this, would a good up and coming assistant bother to apply if Senter has proved to tilt his hand to older experienced coaches? Within mid major AD's feel that the oldster's cut down on the antacid since managing so many young, testosterone filled muscle heads is a wile business, can rebuild and already know that PR is a must. Mike Price stated once that a head coach at this level has to accept that he must sell (put fannies in the seats). Kugler obviously hated it but did well reaching out to high schooler's other than players. Good intent, not the primary target.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdubb66
How's he not?

lol So you don't have an answer.

Brennan Marion has been a coach for 13 years, including stops at Texas, Pittsburgh, and Arizona State.

Why would you choose Ben Arbuckle over Brennan Marion? You said Brennan Marion has only been an offensive coordinator for 4 years. Ben Arbuckle has less experience.

Disagree, respectfully. Mike Price was a UTEP fan choice by and large. Eighteen Rabbit (no longer posts on here) started a petition for his hiring. The only one that I can remember reserving judgement on Price was Kappy who voiced his analysis based on Price's resume, which proved to be right. Nord was literally a hostage situation by the seniors on the football team members led by Mosh Pit Merkens I believe. Good recruiter that can find hidden gems but panned out to be a not so good head coach. Stull had publicly regretted that decision and vowed to never do that again (at that point in time). David Lee was a hot young assistant out of Arkansas as was Stull with UMass. Finally, I do remember Senter stating that some really good assistants applied after Kugler left and one was one of the hottest names in the country (he furnished no names) but he wanted way more than UTEP could offer.

My question is this, would a good up and coming assistant bother to apply if Senter has proved to tilt his hand to older experienced coaches? Within mid major AD's feel that the oldster's cut down on the antacid since managing so many young, testosterone filled muscle heads is a wile business, can rebuild and already know that PR is a must. Mike Price stated once that a head coach at this level has to accept that he must sell (put fannies in the seats). Kugler obviously hated it but did well reaching out to high schooler's other than players. Good intent, not the primary target.
So what part did you disagree with? So based on what you said and Utep's hiring history you agree that we are not Ultra attractive for a young assistant.

Reactions: EPUTEP
So what part did you disagree with? So based on what you said and Utep's hiring history you agree that we are not Ultra attractive for a young assistant.

lol I was confused as well, because he wasn't disagreeing with you. He was actually agreeing with you.

• Haha
Reactions: nattybry
The biggest issue is utep has never been willing to make the commitment to winning and improving their athletics. We could attract a good coach with good direction of our athletic department.

BTW I remember programs like Arizona State were flirting with Mike Price.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT