ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Floyd

mikesarabia

All Star
Oct 28, 2006
With all due respect to all the posters and readers on this site, I know we are entitled to our own opinions, but here are mine. A lot us were ecstatic when Floyd took over for the departed Barbee. I remember telling my wife we upgraded in the head coach. I too became very disappointed with the failed seasons. But after all the flack we have given Coach Floyd and his staff, they deserve a lot of credit for the teams turnaround. Yes, both Wilms and Thomas have improved their play, but realistically this team does not have the talent some of the other teams do. I give all the credit to Coach Floyd and his staff for working with what they have, instilling a tough new found defense, and believing in their players. This is the work of the Tim Floyd that I remember from back in the day.

With all due respect to all the posters and readers on this site, I know we are entitled to our own opinions, but here are mine. A lot us were ecstatic when Floyd took over for the departed Barbee. I remember telling my wife we upgraded in the head coach. I too became very disappointed with the failed seasons. But after all the flack we have given Coach Floyd and his staff, they deserve a lot of credit for the teams turnaround. Yes, both Wilms and Thomas have improved their play, but realistically this team does not have the talent some of the other teams do. I give all the credit to Coach Floyd and his staff for working with what they have, instilling a tough new found defense, and believing in their players. This is the work of the Tim Floyd that I remember from back in the day.

Yeah, but is it enough for you to want him to stay?

Reactions: TrojanMiner
Yeah, but is it enough for you to want him to stay?
First of all, I never felt he was going anywhere. But to answer your question, yes I want him to stay especially with the recruits he has coming in. Now, if after this season and the next season there is no NCAA tournament, then I would hope Floyd would do the right thing and step down.

Reactions: miner1liner
I give him props and respect for somewhat salvaging this season. Let's not forget that we endured a 12 game losing streak earlier in the season. Something UTEP had not experienced since the 1930s. He didn't inherit this problematic roster he created it.

I'm not falling for his break them down to historic lows and build them up to a still below average team.

Unless he wins three or four games in Birmingham we are back to square one. Wait until next season.

Since he's a "favorite son," I'm sure they'll not want him to leave on a sour note. So, I hope he wins the conference next season, then retires.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Love the wins and best way to show accountability is quality wins and improvement.

However, when a university hires a hot shot researcher and professor a larger investment from public and private sources is expected and greater research to blossom. Both take time and commitment. If nothing shows, the professor is held accountable but many times is not necessarily fired or forced out in some cases which causes collateral strife among staff, department heads, students and public. This is college culture. Do you want to fire the professor who worked directly with a former presidential staff, created cutting edge research for a top manufacturer, or at ground zero during a coup that changed history? You would handle it differently as compared to the warehouse manager who messes up shipping orders.

Love or hate him, Floyd is a special coach but needs to be held accountable because he has brought no conference championship, no NCAA appearence, a recruiting courasel that hurts graduating expectations (we need to remember this is about getting a degree, right?), and has been a confrontational hot head in public. But his legacy is unique and does deserve respect. The university needs to approach common ground with him and make it an item-by-item time line based understanding. If not met, then the both should depart in the near future.

Reactions: RTminer
Love the wins and best way to show accountability is quality wins and improvement.

However, when a university hires a hot shot researcher and professor a larger investment from public and private sources is expected and greater research to blossom. Both take time and commitment. If nothing shows, the professor is held accountable but many times is not necessarily fired or forced out in some cases which causes collateral strife among staff, department heads, students and public. This is college culture. Do you want to fire the professor who worked directly with a former presidential staff, created cutting edge research for a top manufacturer, or at ground zero during a coup that changed history? You would handle it differently as compared to the warehouse manager who messes up shipping orders.

Love or hate him, Floyd is a special coach but needs to be held accountable because he has brought no conference championship, no NCAA appearence, a recruiting courasel that hurts graduating expectations (we need to remember this is about getting a degree, right?), and has been a confrontational hot head in public. But his legacy is unique and does deserve respect. The university needs to approach common ground with him and make it an item-by-item time line based understanding. If not met, then the both should depart in the near future.

You really think Stull is going to put Floyd on a performance improvement plan?

You really think Stull is going to put Floyd on a performance improvement plan?

Stull will be forced by Natalicio to put Floyd on some type of notice just for optics for the public, basically is my two cents. Floyd will be back next year for sure then perhaps retire after next year.

Let Natalicio put STULL on a performance improvement plan. Better yet, let Stull put HIMSELF on a performance improvement plan.
hlk8t.jpg

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Its Floyds 7th season and he hasn't delivered. Best he's done is a blowout loss in the 1st rd of the NIT with a Barbee team. If I had my way hes fired if we dont make the tourney this year.

Reality is that he will come back. I'm hoping that if he happens to not do sh!t for another season hes through. 8 seasons of disappointment is hopefully all that Stull will put us through.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT