ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight's game

I have a serious question... why in the hell is gilyard not playing that much? He is my favorite freshman... he is aggressive and plays hard... don't get it

Reactions: mikesarabia
I have a serious question... why in the hell is gilyard not playing that much? He is my favorite freshman... he is aggressive and plays hard... don't get it
I agree. I'm not sure what happened early in the Lamar game, but Gilyard has not been playing since then. I was hoping to see an AJ Harris vs EG3 battle, but like everything else with UTEP athletics, that went down the drain. Frankly, I'm not sure I want to endure anymore of this either.

Terrible, unbearable game to watch. The team has gotten worse. I don't see them winning more than two games by the time conference play starts.

Um....if you were talking about the heavy set older lady they carried out from near center court behind the scoring table, that wasn't the case. She was sitting in her seat and from my vantage point, was non responsive. They lifted her out of her seat and carried her away. No sign of any movement. If I were to guess, her heart stopped. :(

It must have been nice for Aggie fans to leave that sh!t hole stadium for 1 game. Every time I go to the Pan-am, last time being last week, I feel very grateful for the facilities we have.

Now if we could only win against those sheep shaggers.

What's so great about The Don vs. The Pan Am?

I watched UTEP play South Carolina until I couldn't watch. This CANNOT be a surprise to anybody with a basketball IQ above room temperature.

Reactions: El Paso 777
Um....if you were talking about the heavy set older lady they carried out from near center court behind the scoring table, that wasn't the case. She was sitting in her seat and from my vantage point, was non responsive. They lifted her out of her seat and carried her away. No sign of any movement. If I were to guess, her heart stopped. :(
They would have immediately started some kind of CPR unless she had a DNR.

2006-07 Renovation Edit

In 2005, the New Mexico State Legislature approved funding for a $23 million renovation of the Pan American Center. Included in the renovation was the construction of a new annex at the building's south end housing new locker room facilities, athletic and special events offices, and support facilities. Additionally, the older part of the arena was thoroughly renovated, more than tripling the number of restrooms and concession facilities in the building and adding a new, larger concourse around the circumference of the arena. The renovations caused a brief throwback to the 1960s pre-Pan Am era, as several events (most notably virtually the entire 2006 home volleyball schedule) were moved to Las Cruces High School, as NMSU lacks another facility on campus that could accommodate any significant number of fans. The LCHS arrangement proved a very beneficial one in terms of on-court success as the volleyball Aggies compiled the first undefeated home season in school history while playing all but two home matches at LCHS, including an epic 5-game upset of Hawai'i that ended Nā Wahine's eight-year WAC winning streak.

Although the renovation was scheduled for completion by the beginning of the 2006-07 basketball season construction delays caused the renovation to drag on throughout the season. Most controversially, the access tunnel linking the new locker rooms in the annex to the arena floor was not completed until February, forcing both the Aggies and the opposition, along with the referees, to enter the arena via the stands for much of the season, Due to the building's layout, opposing teams had to enter and leave the court through the student section behind the south goal, causing several visiting teams (particularly WAC opponents) to publicly complain about the arrangement. The new tunnel was first used for the January 31 game against Boise State. The renovations were ultimately completed just in time for the start of the 2007 WAC Tournament, with finishing touches being applied in the final days before the event began.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_American_Center

The infrastructure upgrades done to the Pan American Center are more than what Natalicio/ Stull with the Don Haskins Center in the last twenty years.

There are some dumb Miner fans on here, ones who defend the university no matter what, especially when it comes to NMSU. When they resort to irrelevant things, time to move on.

Sadly, not all fans can see things from other perspectives.

There are some dumb Miner fans on here, ones who defend the university no matter what, especially when it comes to NMSU. When they resort to irrelevant things, time to move on.

Sadly, not all fans can see things from other perspectives.
I actually can, but "777" is always looking for an argument not a conversation........just saying

Reactions: ShovelMan66
I guess Minerinciter is a troll as well for posting the relevant information.

It's easy to call people trolls when your're too stupid to come up with an answer on your own.
Dude...you are a troll and you know it....yes sometimes you post interesting comments, but most of the time you are just looking to start shit on the board........

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
Remember when we always used to say, "can't wait till basketball season"? But now we no longer have that hope either. We don't have anything to look forward to except the end of each season.
The question was asked about PT for Gilyard (6 minutes). The same question applies to Wade
( 16 minutes) and Magee (7 minutes). Their minutes we're absorbed by Touchet and Highler(31 minutes total) ????????

Reactions: mikesarabia
He is right though the Haskins center needs a huge facelift....

It could use some updates, but Sun Bowl renovation should take higher priority. Out of town fans come to the Sun Bowl game more than all basketball events at the DHC combined.

Take a look around the other arenas in CUSA. Most are way crappier than the DHC. UTSA, FIU, and FAU play in dumps. WKU and UAB have descent arenas and ODU and Rice have new facilities. The DHC is not the problem when it comes to the basketball team. LaTech plays in an old, empty arena and still manages to get better players and have better results.

Remember when we always used to say, "can't wait till basketball season"? But now we no longer have that hope either. We don't have anything to look forward to except the end of each season.
The question was asked about PT for Gilyard (6 minutes). The same question applies to Wade
( 16 minutes) and Magee (7 minutes). Their minutes we're absorbed by Touchet and Highler(31 minutes total) ????????
Gilyard played decent against NMSU the 1st time around, but threw up a goose egg from the three point line. Against Lamar he went 3/4 from 3-point land and presumably got pulled for not distributing the ball. WTF? Tjis was typical Floyd BS. He sits out the 2nd half against Lamar and then plays 6 minutes against NMSU. This guy was starting just a week ago. Granted he turned the ball over last night but to sit him down when he is in a groove and your whole team can't shoot is just dumb IMO.

Touchet played well the the last ten minutes yesterday and so did Highler. I've said it multiple times but he is a SG and NOT a PG. He drives well and is our best free throw shooter. If he ever gains confidence from the 3-point line (this century) he would ne good off the bench. Highler is not scared and handles the ball well.

Flaggert is a liability on offense.

All the guys were hesitant last night and they don't break/run after the rebound. This was instilled into them by the staff. They missed many opportunities to run which they should be doing. They need to be let free. Coaches can still urge them to be careful with the ball but being hesitant sucks.

Gilyard played decent against NMSU the 1st time around, but threw up a goose egg from the three point line. Against Lamar he went 3/4 from 3-point land and presumably got pulled for not distributing the ball. WTF? This was typical Floyd BS. He sits out the 2nd half against Lamar and then plays 6 minutes against NMSU. This guy was starting just a week ago. Granted he turned the ball over last night but to sit him down when he is in a groove and your whole team can't shoot is just dumb IMO.

Touchet played well the the last ten minutes yesterday and so did Highler. I've said it multiple times but Touchet is a SG and NOT a PG. He drives well and is our best free throw shooter. If he ever gains confidence from the 3-point line (this century) he would be good off the bench. Highler is not scared and handles the ball well.

Flaggert is a liability on offense.

All the guys were hesitant last night and they don't break/run after the rebound. This was instilled into them by the staff. They missed many opportunities to run which they should be doing. They need to be let free. Coaches can still urge them to be careful with the ball but being hesitant sucks.

Can you believe that this is the 40th season in Haskins Center?

It actually isn't a bad venue for it being 40 years old, but it's just laughable when some people compare The Don to other venues like we have such a nice, modern venue.

The Pan Am was actually the largest venue between Los Angeles and Dallas in the 70's and that is why they attracted so many concerts during that time.

I went to a game in The Pit last year and their renovated arena is very nice. We can't even pay our coaches a decent salary, so I don't expect any renovation on any of our venues any time soon.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
How is LaTech able to win and get good players in a worse facility with less fans???

There's other things UTEP needs more than an upgrade to the DHC right now. The DHC is better than at least 50% of current D1 arenas. Others are doing more with less.

How is LaTech able to win and get good players in a worse facility with less fans???

There's other things UTEP needs more than an upgrade to the DHC right now. The DHC is better than at least 50% of current D1 arenas. Others are doing more with less.
I agree but that's the opposite of what Senter said at halftime on monday. Its coaching and recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT