ADVERTISEMENT

Typical UTEP

I don’t want to hear another word from anyone on this board saying that Hardison is an NFL level QB. He’s a D level QB at best with a B level deep ball. 4 years in the program, 3 as the starter and this guy still throws bounce passes like he’s a point guard.

Sure he throws a nice deep ball but at this point I’d take a QB who’s consistent from short as opposed to someone who can hit a deep ball every now and then because you can at least keep drives alive.
There is only 1 person on here that believes Hardison is an NFL level QB. And he is counting down the days when he can start telling everyone on here to draft him in the first round of your NFL fantasy football draft.

Last edited:
I agree he won’t be fired, but I can only hope. It’s going to be hard to stomach anothear of his coaching inability.

My expectations for this team were absolutely wrong. Extending a couple of UNT drives with penalties, dropped passes, missed field goals, anemic run game. Lost by 3 scores while matching their total offensive output. Unable to finish drives. None of that is acceptable in Dimel's 5th year with a team loaded with experience.

I agree he is safe until the season is near the end but can UTEP raise the money to buy out the next two seasons?
Late in the second UNT keep a couple of UTEP drives alive with some penalties of their own. Their coach AND their players kept their cool, made adjustments in the second half and they let UTEP beat themselves.
Any team will gladly take a a QB who can hit two or three balls a game and nothing underneath because over the course of 4 quarters they will beat themselves

Some thoughts on yesterday's game. Some of this stuff was already mentioned by myself or others but are things I noticed as well

1. Obviously, this was a huge blown opportunity. Getting blown out in front of a sold out crowd will hurt attendance for the rest of the year which is the most unfortunate part of this. We needed to win or at the very least keep it close. Our teams don't know how to play in front of big crowds

2. I think the real in-game attendance was about 40k

3. The crowd was quiet for being so big. They only got loud for promotions and the music being played. The crowd looked nice but the atmosphere just wasn't there

4. Why are we playing music all the way up to the snap? It got people singing and yelling and making noise while we were on offense.

5. The rain delay was an omen

6. Hardison is an all or nothing QB. He only wants the home run touchdown pass which leads to him staying in the pocket too long.

7. The O Line did a nice job pass blocking all night

8. Hardison can't throw the 45 times and only complete 44% of the passes. The coaches need to restrict his audibles if this going to happen all year.

9. Tyrin Smith looked good but will need to learn to still get his after teams adjust to him. North Texas made adjustments last night and pretty much shut him down in the second half.

10. We need to get the running game going

11. Special teams appears to have improved a little bit. Although it was a small sample size, punt returns and kickoffs we're a lot less scary than last year.

12. Speaking of special teams not hurting is AS MUCH, the missed field goal on the opening drive might have set the time on all the missed opportunities we had. How did we only score 3 points in the first drives that got into the red zone? Seriously, how?

13. D Line. Where were they? They were supposed to carry us all year

14. We all thought the DBs would be our weakest position and it didn't take North Texas long to figure that out to take advantage.

15. Our coaching staff is so bad at making in-game adjustments. This has been a trend regardless of how previous seasons have gone

16. Dimel looked like an idiot saying that we beat them 8 times out of 10 during the post game show. We just got blown out at home in front of the biggest crowd in a decade and he has the gull to say that? Ridiculous, even he does believe it. That's embarrassing for the university

17. I do think that North Texas wasn't better than us but they were better coached.

18. I tip my hat to Senter and the athletic department for the amazing marketing plan that was executed to get a big crowd. The city was buzzing in anticipation and they filled the Sun Bowl. A marketing plan can only take is so far. The team didn't perform and now attendance is going to suffer for the rest of the year

19. If you can't tell, I am still angry about last night. This game meant so much: it's a conference game, it was a sellout, future ticket sales... and we didn't perform. This is more than just a loss. Yes, I know that it's just game one but I feel that this blow out is a huge setback for the program. Due to these circumstances, this wasn't just any home opener and next week's very possible blowout won't help

20. Hopefully, we shock the world and beat Oklahoma next week (yes, I know it's not happening) and this loss matters a lot less. If this happens I will retract everything I said... but it won't.

Okay I am done venting. Kudos to you if you read a sad/mad/disappointed Miner's entire vent session. Go Miners

To be fair a few of those were flat dropped. IE Smith
O
Late in the second UNT keep a couple of UTEP drives alive with some penalties of their own. Their coach AND their players kept their cool, made adjustments in the second half and they let UTEP beat themselves.
Any team will gladly take a a QB who can hit two or three balls a game and nothing underneath because over the course of 4 quarters they will beat themselves
Disappointing to say the least! UTEP will collect a paycheck next week, but will the players put up a fight? Nothing to lose if they are blown out no suprises! This game reminds me of the game we played at Texas A&M in 1984! We were big underdogs to the Aggies and sold out Kyle field was there to celebrate a big victory, but something happened on the way to the blow out! We almost shocked College football that day! A game tying field goal hit the left upright and the Aggies escaped with a 20 to 17 win! Expect the worst but hope for the best!🤞

O

Disappointing to say the least! UTEP will collect a paycheck next week, but will the players put up a fight? Nothing to lose if they are blown out no suprises! This game reminds me of the game we played at Texas A&M in 1984! We were big underdogs to the Aggies and sold out Kyle field was there to celebrate a big victory, but something happened on the way to the blow out! We almost shocked College football that day! A game tying field goal hit the left upright and the Aggies escaped with a 20 to 17 win! Expect the worst but hope for the best!🤞
But you personally are impressed with Harrison right ?? He has a cannon

I guess my point was that a full Sun bowl looks good on him the same way an empty looks bad on him. Perception. I agree he is safe through the end of the year
That’s fine. The coach doesn’t do much for attendance except for celebrities and their first year. Nick Saban could come here and put 40k against Lamar. If he went 2-22, he would just be another coach and people would stop attending games ***solely*** because he was the coach.

At this point, attendance ups and downs are not because of Dimel.

That’s fine. The coach doesn’t do much for attendance except for celebrities and their first year. Nick Saban could come here and put 40k against Lamar. If he went 2-22, he would just be another coach and people would stop attending games ***solely*** because he was the coach.

Maybe a good showing in Norman next weekend will turn the ship around

The whole team and entire coaching staff could not get out of their own way. They're all to blame. The football team just shit all over their fans Saturday night. The attendance will be under 15000 for the rest of the season no matter what happens. That's twice now they've done that. They have no more chances. Everyone was expecting better, and we got this. No more extensions for Dimel. We will be looking for a new coach as soon as his contract runs out.

Reactions: denverutep
My expectations for this team were absolutely wrong. Extending a couple of UNT drives with penalties, dropped passes, missed field goals, anemic run game. Lost by 3 scores while matching their total offensive output. Unable to finish drives. None of that is acceptable in Dimel's 5th year with a team loaded with experience.

I agree he is safe until the season is near the end but can UTEP raise the money to buy out the next two seasons?
It’s the first game, let’s not overreact, just yet. If they lose to NMSU or UNM, I think it’s a legitimate conversation to have.

However, I have always said, keeping a coach because “you can’t afford to buy him out” is just as bad as keeping him. Fans won’t go to your games, at least with a new coach, there is some hope. Unless Senter hires another loser retread.

UTEP should be getting money from all the teams that left CUSA. They have money to get rid of Dimel, if that’s what they need to do.

The football team just shit all over their fans Saturday night. The attendance will be under 15000 for the rest of the season no matter what happens. That's twice now they've done that.
Yes they did. It will be hard to get the fans back. However, we play NMSU here and there will be at least 15,000 fans. Barring “extreme weather”, there will be 15,000 there. Even if they both lose 77-0 this week, enough fans will show up. If UTEP loses, getting 15k for Boise will be extremely difficult since it’s on a Friday.

The whole team and entire coaching staff could not get out of their own way. They're all to blame. The football team just shit all over their fans Saturday night. The attendance will be under 15000 for the rest of the season no matter what happens. That's twice now they've done that. They have no more chances. Everyone was expecting better, and we got this. No more extensions for Dimel. We will be looking for a new coach as soon as his contract runs out.
As soon as his contract runs out? Lol so you expect him to be coaching for a few more years

Couldn’t go/watch the game because of a wedding but my goodness. I haven’t watched any highlights but judging by all the threads this morning we aren’t in a good shape.

Absolutely no reason for Dimel to have vanilla play calling, it’s a conference opponent in front of a relatively large crowd for UTEP. Just painful and disappointing. I’m almost glad I didn’t go.

Give credit to Jim senter and the entire utep athletics ticket sales, marking, and development staff. They did their job. dimel, the players, and the staff should be disgusted and embarrassed with themselves and how they played. Let’s see if they can pull out 6-7 wins. Good thing is, most peoples expectations have gone way down, so hopefully the pressure is off the team and they can perform. If they dont win a bowl game, dimel should probably be fired. Do whatever it takes. Nice guy, but the little success he had has shown he is kind of arrogant.

Couldn’t go/watch the game because of a wedding but my goodness. I haven’t watched any highlights but judging by all the threads this morning we aren’t in a good shape.

Absolutely no reason for Dimel to have vanilla play calling, it’s a conference opponent in front of a relatively large crowd for UTEP. Just painful and disappointing. I’m almost glad I didn’t go.
Wasn't actually an issue of Vanilla play calling this time around. It was too many passes and not setting up the pass with a consistent rush. In addition to that it was missed opportunities in the red zone, dropped passes, over throws and under throws , defensive breakdowns and key penalities and D- line getting dominated by N. Texas O lone which was a surprise. Wasn't a talent gap, it was better execution and coaching on the other side.

Give credit to Jim senter and the entire utep athletics ticket sales, marking, and development staff. They did their job. dimel, the players, and the staff should be disgusted and embarrassed with themselves and how they played. Let’s see if they can pull out 6-7 wins. Good thing is, most peoples expectations have gone way down, so hopefully the pressure is off the team and they can perform. If they dont win a bowl game, dimel should probably be fired. Do whatever it takes. Nice guy, but the little success he had has shown he is kind of arrogant.
Dimel should be fired if he doesn’t make a bowl game.

Senter and company did a nice job, but they better enjoy it while they can because they’ve already screwed over big crowds twice. They will have a good crowd for NMSU, but the other 4 games will be sparsely attended.

If your offense doesn’t score you have no chance of winning. 13 points at home to a decent UNT team is unacceptable. Dimel’s offense is flat out trash that fails to score and fails give the team a chance of winning. If Senter is unwilling to fire Dimel, the least he can do is force him to surrender the offensive scheme and play calling to someone else. Dimel knows RPO offenses, he is attempting to implement a proset offense and it is obvious he doesn’t know what the heck he is doing. The biggest deficiency on this team is not talent, it’s the awful offensive coach!

Last edited:
Dimel should be fired if he doesn’t make a bowl game.

Senter and company did a nice job, but they better enjoy it while they can because they’ve already screwed over big crowds twice. They will have a good crowd for NMSU, but the other 4 games will be sparsely attended.
I agree, in the end the team has to hold up their end of the bargain. They won’t have a crowd that big unless they’re competing for a conference title in November , which we know is highly unlikely. But who knows, maybe they fix some of the mistakes from last night and don’t leave 17-21 points on the board and end up having a nice season! Good thing is, there are a good number of games with teams who will be as bad or worse than UNT. So there are opportunities for some wins there.

If your offense doesn’t score you have no chance of winning. 13 points at home to a decent UNT team is unacceptable. Dimel’s offense is flat out trash that fails to score and fails give the team a chance of winning. If Senter is unwilling to fire Dimel, the least he can do is force him to surrender the offensive scheme and play calling to someone else. Dimel knows RPO offenses, he is attempting to implement a proset offense and it is obvious he doesn’t know what the heck he is doing. The biggest deficiency on this team is not talent, it’s the awful offensive coach!

Just pointing out if there isn't a bad snap, if there isn't several drops, if there isn't a dropped TD, and if there isn't a fumbled snap, then the offense looks more competent.

Players have to also make plays to make the play callers job easier.

Dimel needs to get his damn oline ready for the season. They were horrendous on screens and really bad at run blocking.

The offense looked bad because they executed poorly and the guys on the field weren't helping out by making routine plays.

Just remember it is not the Jimmy's and the Joe's as much as it is the X's and the O's

Just remember it is not the Jimmy's and the Joe's as much as it is the X's and the O's
So the players are not to blame? Even when they drop balls thrown into their hands, miss easy blocks, don’t hit the hole hard when handed the ball, miss kicks, etc. It’s the coaches and the schemes

So the players are not to blame? Even when they drop balls thrown into their hands, miss easy blocks, don’t hit the hole hard when handed the ball, miss kicks, etc. It’s the coaches and the schemes
No it is a combination! One game into the season and they are facing a challenge! Will the team put up a fight next week? They look a lot like we did in the 80's had talent but when faced with adversity they failed! The biggest game of the early season will be the NMSU game!

Just pointing out if there isn't a bad snap, if there isn't several drops, if there isn't a dropped TD, and if there isn't a fumbled snap, then the offense looks more competent.

Players have to also make plays to make the play callers job easier.

Dimel needs to get his damn oline ready for the season. They were horrendous on screens and really bad at run blocking.

The offense looked bad because they executed poorly and the guys on the field weren't helping out by making routine plays.
This unfortunately hasn't been cleaned up under Dimel. It's the same ol story, they coulda shoulda woulda did this, but .... It's the first game and hope we win the games we should and a couple of the toss up ones and get 6+ wins. That's all we can ask for as Miner Fans I guess.

This unfortunately hasn't been cleaned up under Dimel. It's the same ol story, they coulda shoulda woulda did this, but .... It's the first game and hope we win the games we should and a couple of the toss up ones and get 6+ wins. That's all we can ask for as Miner Fans I guess.
But, in his defense this is the story of UTEP football. Price had the same mistake riddled teams once the new shine wore off and all he could say was “Gosh… I don’t know what happened out there.” Kugler thought he was gonna out-effort everyone but when they screwed up left and right all he could say was “This is on me, we’ll fix this.” Price, Kugler, and Dimmel are all recruiting the same C level talent, and it should be no surprise they play C level football.

But, in his defense this is the story of UTEP football. Price had the same mistake riddled teams once the new shine wore off and all he could say was “Gosh… I don’t know what happened out there.” Kugler thought he was gonna out-effort everyone but when they screwed up left and right all he could say was “This is on me, we’ll fix this.” Price, Kugler, and Dimmel are all recruiting the same C level talent, and it should be no surprise they play C level football.

I would take Price and Kugler any day over Dimel.

Reactions: MinerFan79
If I were to rank all the coaches in UTEP History, Kugler would be dead last on my list.

It is close. If I had a choice I wouldn't take either, but I would still choose Kugler over Dimel.

Dimel had back to back 1 win seasons.

Kugler's worst year was a 2 win season.

I also give credit to Kugler for stepping down in year 5 when he realized he wasn't getting the job done.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I agree. The only thing I’d say in addition, tho, is that any coach worth his salt, who recruits C level players, should be able to get them up to B level play by his 5th year. Coaching 101.

I guess got partially caught in the trap of thinking maybe Dimel does know what he’s doing, after his slow but steady improvement over the last several years, and he’s just bringing them along methodically. Even the smallest belief in that theory went out the window on Saturday evening. Same old, same old.

I agree. The only thing I’d say in addition, tho, is that any coach worth his salt, who recruits C level players, should be able to get them up to B level play by his 5th year. Coaching 101.

I guess got partially caught in the trap of thinking maybe Dimel does know what he’s doing, after his slow but steady improvement over the last several years, and he’s just bringing them along methodically. Even the smallest belief in that theory went out the window on Saturday evening. Same old, same old.

I don’t think you’re wrong but at the very least they should be able to play mistake free football. But these guys are what they are. Hardison hasn’t figured out how to hit a short pass after 4 years in the program, and however many years of prep football he’s not going to learn now. Same with these WRs and their drops.

It is close. If I had a choice I wouldn't take either, but I would still choose Kugler over Dimel.

I also give credit to Kugler for stepping down in year 5 when he realized he wasn't getting the job done.
This year's jury is still out on Dimel. If he gets to 6 wins and goes bowling again then there's no way he can even be mentioned along with Kugler.

Reactions: MinerFan79

Kugler didn't win any games his last season and the team wasn't competitive. And once his recruits started filtering through they got worse.

Dimel redshirted every player his first season. So Dimel year one was with Kugler recruits.

My one thing compliment I have always given Dimel is that he has built up a roster and kids don't leave.

Reactions: FedupMiner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT