ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrin Smith - gone

Welcome back! I’m glad he decided to stay. Very gay to hate on a player that decided it was best to remain a Miner, regardless of the reason.

The reason I said the coach should be fired is his lack of judgment putting it out in public. Probably agree with his feelings but a coach can’t put that on social media. I think it would lead to a lack of respect from the other players. ( Does coach really have by back). Just how I fell.

Don’t know if he was promised, but I would lay odds on him beating Hardison out

I don’t think hardison will be our starting QB next season. Retzlaff wouldn’t have signed had he not been promised the gig.
Hopefully coaches are not promising starting positions but good shots at starting.

I hope Retslaff turns out to be great but I remember Dimel's 1st qb was a jc all-American and remember how that turned out.

Retslaff's other offers were Hawaii which is in turmoil due to the head coach and NMSU where he would have started but has a big rebuild ahead of them.

Reactions: MinerFan79
I would've rejected him to comeback. Cant let other players think if you test the Trasnfer portal you could just comeback.

Reactions: utep-piggy
I don’t think UTEP is in a position to reject a player returning.

Players are going to think they could just go test the transfer portal, and if they dont like the offers they could just comeback?? Utep coaches need to make an example. If the players enter transfer portal there is no coming back.

Post game on KROD: T Smith is out of the portal and will return to UTEP.
I missed a lot of the details but I'm glad he's back. My question is if there there are other good players leaving that would affect the team's performance negatively next year or will the team be in good standing to be as good as this past season or even better ?

Players are going to think they could just go test the transfer portal, and if they dont like the offers they could just comeback?? Utep coaches need to make an example. If the players enter transfer portal there is no coming back.
How many of us have dumped a girl cause we thought we could get a hotter one. Than realized we f ourselves, and tried to go back.

Again, I didnt see anything on the field that would have encouraged him to enter the portal. Him coming back just proves that. He jumped the gun and he will likely do it again next season.

I dont like the fact that any player can just toss their name out there, hear crickets and then just return like nothing happened. If they don't want to be at their school then leave. How are the coaches/recruiters supposed to handle these situations?

Again, I didnt see anything on the field that would have encouraged him to enter the portal. Him coming back just proves that. He jumped the gun and he will likely do it again next season.

I dont like the fact that any player can just toss their name out there, hear crickets and then just return like nothing happened. If they don't want to be at their school then leave. How are the coaches/recruiters supposed to handle these situations?
I agree but given that these kids are given the opportunity to transfer one time without having to sit it puts coaches in a tough position as well. Some teams have had a ton of kids entering the transfer portal and that has to destroy your recruiting strategy especially since it is happening mid season. If you’re a coach losing 10 plus players you’d be a fool not to welcome back a player if they change their mind. Maybe in a couple of years it will all settle down once these kids realize it’s tough to go from school to school.

I would've rejected him to comeback. Cant let other players think if you test the Trasnfer portal you could just comeback.

Does anyone else here remember Twymond Howard? He was a 6'6" wing who was selected to the Parade All American team coming out of high school. Floyd recruited him, and he played as a freshman on the 2012-13 team. He ended up playing only 5.6 minutes per game in only 12 games as a freshman. I heard from someone that a nagging injury slowed him down. Since scholarships are not guaranteed, and Floyd had a monster recruiting class coming in, including Isaac Hamilton, Vince Hunter, and Andre Spight, Howard was shown the door. Of course, later that year, we found out that Hamilton decided not to come, and Spight was ruled ineligible. As Floyd was trying to fill out his roster he invited Howard to rejoin the team.

Howard was ecstatic. He placed the UTEP logo prominently on his social media accounts, and seemed giddy that he was returning. Then Floyd found Justin Crosgile, a guard who was available, and decided that he'd rather have a guard to replace Hamilton and Spight, both guards, than a forward, and rescinded Howard's scholarship offer.

It didn't really work out very well. Crosgile wasn't very good, and, along with McKenzie Moore and Jalen Ragland, ended up getting kicked off of the team as part of the gambling scandal. Howard ended up averaging 13.6 ppg/6.6 rpg and 15.6 ppg/7.0 rpg in two seasons at TN Martin.

Here's the thing: when Floyd pulled Howard's scholarship - twice - I didn't hear a peep of protest from anyone on this board. It wasn't until a few years later, as fans started to realize that Floyd wasn't getting it done here at UTEP, that anyone started complaining about Floyd's penchant for pulling scholarships from current players to give to incoming recruits. Had Floyd been as successful here as he had been at his previous collegiate stops I doubt that anyone here would have ever complained about that practice. Yet if a player wants to explore an option that he or she feels is best for themselves, and is well within the current rules, but changes their mind they should be shunned. Got it.

Let me make one more argument in favor of the players. Anytime you take a new job that company invests resources in training you for the job, providing your salary and benefits, etc. Has anyone here but me ever changed jobs, believing that a new job might be better for yourself and/or your family? Has anyone here but me ever explored other job opportunities to see if there was one you liked better, only tobend up sticking with your current job? If the first example fits you I really don't see how you have cause to criticize Cowing, if the second example fits you I really don't see how you have cause to criticize Smith. Both examples fit me, so I wish both players luck, and hope that their decisions work out well for them.

Last edited:
Does anyone else here remember Twymond Howard? He was a 6'6" wing who was selected to the Parade All American team coming out of high school. Floyd recruited him, and he played as a freshman on the 2012-13 team. He ended up playing only 5.6 minutes per game in only 12 games as a freshman. I heard from someone that a nagging injury slowed him down. Since scholarships are not guaranteed, and Floyd had a monster recruiting class coming in, including Isaac Hamilton, Vince Hunter, and Andre Spight, Howard was shown the door. Of course, later that year, we found out that Hamilton decided not to come, and Spight was ruled ineligible. As Floyd was trying to fill out his roster he invited Howard to rejoin the team.

Howard was ecstatic. He placed the UTEP logo prominently on his social media accounts, and seemed giddy that he was returning. Then Floyd found Justin Crosgile, a guard who was available, and decided that he'd rather have a guard to replace Hamilton and Spight, both guards, than a forward, and rescinded Howard's scholarship offer.

It didn't really work out very well. Crosgile wasn't very good, and, along with McKenzie Moore and Jalen Ragland, ended up getting kicked off of the team as part of the gambling scandal. Howard ended up averaging 13.6 ppg/6.6 rpg and 15.6 ppg/7.0 rpg in two seasons at TN Martin.

Here's the thing: when Floyd pulled Howard's scholarship - twice - I didn't hear a peep of protest from anyone on this board. It wasn't until a few years later, as fans started to realize that Floyd wasn't getting it done here at UTEP, that anyone started complaining about Floyd's penchant for pulling scholarships from current players to give to incoming recruits. Had Floyd been as successful here as he had been at his previous collegiate stops I doubt that anyone here would have complained about that practice. Yet if a player wants to explore an option that he or she feels is best for themselves, and is well within the current rules, but changes their mind they should be shunned. Got it.

Let me make one more argument in favor of the players. Anytime you take a new job that company invests resources in training you for the job, providing your salary and benefits, etc. Has anyone here but me ever changed jobs, believing that a new job might be better for yourself and/or your family? Has anyone here but me ever explored other job opportunities to see if there was one you liked better, only tobend up sticking with your current job? If the first example fits you I really don't see how you have cause to criticize Cowing, if the second example fits you I really don't see how you have cause to criticize Smith. Both examples fit me, so I wish both players luck, and hope that their decisions work out well for them.
Great post! You're 100% correct!

Reactions: Lil_Train

Here's the thing: when Floyd pulled Howard's scholarship - twice - I didn't hear a peep of protest from anyone on this board. It wasn't until a few years later, as fans started to realize that Floyd wasn't getting it done here at UTEP, that anyone started complaining about Floyd's penchant for pulling scholarships from current players to give to incoming recruits. Had Floyd been as successful here as he had been at his previous collegiate stops I doubt that anyone here would have ever complained about that practice. Yet if a player wants to explore an option that he or she feels is best for themselves, and is well within the current rules, but changes their mind they should be shunned. Got it.

I wish I could give this post 100 likes.

I've always noted this double standard. I was very critical of Floyd running off players at a whim.

I've always noted this double standard. I was very critical of Floyd running off players at a whim.
As Axingfools1 mentioned we heard shit talking about Caleb Williams transferring but not a peep about Riley who had just signed a contract extension last year. Huge double standards. Coaches can do whatever is best for them but if a player does it....

Agree. Floyd was the poster child for the practice of recruiting over, but he wasn't/isn't alone. It obviously continues to take place. As Tony Barbee stated way back when he coached at UTEP, "there is always a scholarship for the right player". That still holds true today in most cases.

Last edited:
Agree. Floyd was the poster child for the practice of over recruiting, but he wasn't/isn't alone. It obviously continues to take place. As Tony Barbee stated way back when he coached at UTEP, "there is always a scholarship for the right player". That still holds true today in most cases.
I believe only the Big ten pac12 guarantee scholarships for 4 years. So basically everyone else does it on a yearly basis.

I just googled it and discovered that all power 5 schools and Notre Dame guarantee four year scholarships. None of the other division 1 schools do.

I believe only the Big ten pac12 guarantee scholarships for 4 years. So basically everyone else does it on a yearly basis.

I just googled it and discovered that all power 5 schools and Notre Dame guarantee four year scholarships. None of the other division 1 schools do.
They all should, but if you put your name in the portal goes to year to year.

College athletics is a business. Coaches will do things to benefit themselves and their families and they have it right to do so, the players also have the right to do so as well. I am sure many posters on here have interviewed for other jobs at other companies, didn’t get the position , and went back to their current job. T. Smith did the same thing. Nothing wrong with that.

If UTEP Football & Basketball were winning programs year after year I would agree with you. But because we have a great tradition of losing Welcome Back Tyrin Smith.

Last edited:
That's because the rules allow it. In order to avoid these type of scenarios the rules have to change.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Why is that a problem? That’s exactly what the QB at OU (Williams) is doing right now. Should OU bar him from returning ? Weird

Why is that a problem? That’s exactly what the QB at OU (Williams) is doing right now. Should OU bar him from returning ? Weird
No they should let him stick around and train like we did with BW. Turns out he left anyway and our coaches were never able to find an immediate replacement.

Seriously though I wouldn't say never come back, but there definitely needs to be time windows for transfer periods and associated deadlines for final decisions.

Reactions: Lil_Train
No they should let him stick around and train like we did with BW. Turns out he left anyway and our coaches were never able to find an immediate replacement.

Seriously though I wouldn't say never come back, but there definitely needs to be time windows for transfer periods and associated deadlines for final decisions.
It appears there is none but UTEP could cancel or reduce athletic aid benefits.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Student_Resources/Notification_of_Transfer.pdf

I dunno. I'm kinda torn about this issue. The only difference between college athletes entering/exiting the portal and us poking around looking for a better offer is that they have to do it publicly. We get the benefit of doing it privately with "no harm, no foul" if we don't find a better offer.

Good luck to these guys. They're doing the same thing they'll continue to do throughout their adult lives but in this case have to do it publicly.

Reactions: develman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT