ADVERTISEMENT

UNM’s top five scorers yesterday...

Coach and team not known for defense. It's all about the shot and getting run outs on fast breaks. Marshall runs a very similar game.

Coach and team not known for defense. It's all about the shot and getting run outs on fast breaks. Marshall runs a very similar game.

I haven’t watched them yet. You think we can slow them down? Our defense against NMSU was suffocating. Wonder if we’ll be able to get our D set and pester UNM also.

went 6’9”, 6’9”, 6’7”, 6’5” and 6’4”. They also had another kid, at 6’10”, snag 18 rebounds. That is some team length. However, McNeese State hung in there with them. Can’t wait for this one. Should be a really good test.
There will be a lot of matchup problems, mainly Vila and Bragg. I think Williams takes Manigault and need to be careful with fouls. Efe will need to step up also. We just need to rebound strong and I think we are ok.

There will be a lot of matchup problems, mainly Vila and Bragg. I think Williams takes Manigault and need to be careful with fouls. Efe will need to step up also. We just need to rebound strong and I think we are ok.

Yeah, I agree. Im thinking Verhoeven may get additional minutes for his shot altering abilities and to free up Williams so that the fouls don’t accumulate too quickly. Manigault is a beast. 24 points in just 21 minutes yesterday.

On a side note, the Aggs have Arizona today in Tucson. I’ll be keeping an eye on that one.

Yeah, I agree. Im thinking Verhoeven may get additional minutes for his shot altering abilities and to free up Williams so that the fouls don’t accumulate too quickly. Manigault is a beast. 24 points in just 21 minutes yesterday.

On a side note, the Aggs have Arizona today in Tucson. I’ll be keeping an eye on that one.
I think we will see Williams on Vance Jackson. That will be a great matchup.

wow the coach did what terry did i guess. But looks like he better transfers

Kansas transfer Carlton Bragg Jr was a 2015 5 star recruit
Ohio State Transfer Jaquan Lyle
Uconn Transfer Vance Jackson

and others

Aggies got blown out at Arizona. They were never really in the game, and were down 22 at half. Arizona is loaded, albeit young this year. Must admit the most interesting part of the game was listening to Walton ramble about odd facts about the state of New Mexico.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I think we will see Williams on Vance Jackson. That will be a great matchup.
UNM is a guard oriented team. Although he is big, Jackson plays more of a guard/SF type position. He doesn't match up well with Williams.

I think Bragg takes Williams, otherwise Vila could definitely take him out of the middle. That leaves Jackson on Vila. Vila can guard the perimeter well, but can Jackson guard Vila? I'm pretty sure it's Bragg up front vs our bigs. Manigault comes off the bench, but we can counter with big bodies as well. I think Terry actually goes after UNM down low.

Both teams start 3 guards and go 4-5 deep. I wonder if Hawkins or Stroud can step up and make a difference in this one. Stroud should have some real confidence after showing out the other night.

I think Vila and/or one of our backup guards make it hard on UNM.

UNM is a guard oriented team. Although he is big, Jackson plays more of a guard/SF type position. He doesn't match up well with Williams.

I think Bragg takes Williams, otherwise Vila could definitely take him out of the middle. That leaves Jackson on Vila. Vila can guard the perimeter well, but can Jackson guard Vila? I'm pretty sure it's Bragg up front vs our bigs. Manigault comes off the bench, but we can counter with big bodies as well. I think Terry actually goes after UNM down low.

Both teams start 3 guards and go 4-5 deep. I wonder if Hawkins or Stroud can step up and make a difference in this one. Stroud should have some real confidence after showing out the other night.

I think Vila and/or one of our backup guards make it hard on UNM.
I was thinking more in terms of who Williams was going to defend. Based on what you mentioned about Jackson, it sounds like Vila would likely get that assignment. Obviously defending and rebounding are the keys; I think we will get good opportunities on the offensive end. Keeping Williams on the floor is huge as well.

On Stroud, he looked better offensively making a couple of threes the last game, but his defense is still a work in progress. I think if he can improve on that end, his minutes will increase against better teams.

Last edited:
Going to be a big question. Can their offense sustain against our D or does our defense dominate. They are going to hit shots, like a lot of good shooting teams their play in all facets tend to drop off when the shots are not falling. If we get them in a situation where they take bad shots or have players going rogue jacking up shots out of their offense they will crumble. On the other hand we let them get easy ones early and one or two of them get hot It will be a long night for us. Being Haskins-esk here we have to control the tempo of the game, keep it in the 60"s and force them to work on both ends. (IMO the best way to defense good shooters is to force them to play defense, wearing out their legs and arms and forcing them to think about every shot they take).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT