ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Athletics Announces Furloughs, Reduction in Force Due to Budgetary Constraints Posed By COVID-19 Pandemic

MistaBinks

MI VIP
Jan 13, 2008
El Paso, Texas
UTEP Director of Athletics Jim Senter announced on Wednesday that certain positions within the department have either been eliminated or not filled since Sept. 1, and all Athletics employees will be taking furloughs over the course of the 2020-21 athletics year between now and August 31, 2021.

Men’s basketball head coach Rodney Terry and football head coach Dana Dimel have accepted salary reductions for the 2020-21 athletics year.

“The COVID-19 pandemic has presented us with a significant reduction in revenue,” Senter said. “We feel for all of our employees that are impacted by these decisions, which are difficult and unfortunate but ultimately necessary during these turbulent times. We appreciate Rodney and Dana recognizing the challenges that we currently face, stepping up to the plate and sacrificing their salaries to help offset lost resources in our department.”

“The last few months have been unprecedented for our country. UTEP is among many universities and colleges whose athletic budget has been affected by these challenging times,” Terry said. “I am grateful for the opportunity to make this sacrifice and help limit the overall impact on my teammates.”

“It’s tough seeing the COVID-19 pandemic take a toll on our staff, as it has in many athletic departments across the country,” Dimel said. “I’m glad that I’ve been blessed with the ability to help mitigate some of the damage. We’ll continue to press forward with the expectation that better days are ahead for our community, UTEP Athletics and our football program.”

“Here at UTEP we have incredible leadership from Dr. Wilson,” Terry said. “Her vision for on-campus testing has become a reality, allowing us to play football games and prepare for a basketball season. With the support of our administration and fans, we will get through this and come back stronger than ever!”

“UTEP Athletics leaders have done an exceptional job keeping our program going safely for our student-athletes while minimizing the impact of the pandemic on our people,” UTEP President Heather Wilson said. “These are tough decisions and they are leading with integrity. I’m proud of them.”

Weird. Some on here said we were in a “good position”.
I remember that. As compared to some mid major yes. UTEP doesn't have mens baseball, mens lacrosse, mens water polo, you name it.

I think the UTEP Rio Grande River Rafting team got cut though? Floating "Dagger Yucca's" in the river at Big Bend near Terlingua cut their rafts.

• Haha
Reactions: FarWestTexas
I remember that. As compared to some mid major yes. UTEP doesn't have mens baseball, mens lacrosse, mens water polo, you name it.

I think the UTEP Rio Grande River Rafting team got cut though? Floating "Dagger Yucca's" in the river at Big Bend near Terlingua cut their rafts.

Whatever sports UTEP has or doesn’t, doesn’t really matter. If Texas, Stanford, and Ohio State are making cuts, you’re naive to think UTEP isn’t/won’t be impacted negatively by COVID-19.

Whatever sports UTEP has or doesn’t, doesn’t really matter. If Texas, Stanford, and Ohio State are making cuts, you’re naive to think UTEP isn’t/won’t be impacted negatively by COVID-19.

This what being in good shape look like. The furloughs and salary cuts are almost universal throughout college athletics. Everybody knew there would be budget cuts they announced layoffs in August. In 2020 with Covid getting away with furloughs and salaries cuts is being in good shape. CUSA was smart moved all their sports until after football like the big twelve. If football was stopped all the other sports can be cancelled and resume in fall 2021.

Last edited:

And by skinflint “fans” like you.

And by skinflint “fans” like you.

I had to look up that word. Yeah, UTEP is making cuts because it doesn’t sell 100,000 seats to their football games. Even though teams that do and don’t have “skinflint” fans, are... Great logic

It’s always the fans fault. Never the administration and coaches.

I had to look up that word. Yeah, UTEP is making cuts because it doesn’t sell 100,000 seats to their football games. Even though teams that do and don’t have “skinflint” fans, are... Great logic

It’s always the fans fault. Never the administration and coaches.

You didn’t thank me for teaching you a new word.

On GameDay, they were saying that Universities who spent millions on facilities basically use the revenue to pay loans. Hence, loans going into default.

Signs of the times... I don't feel for Rodney or Dana, I do feel for the lesser paying jobs. I had to deal with furlough myself, luckily I have a good union, so it was not too bad. But almost everywhere is dealing with this outcome. I hope Senter also took a cut. 20-30k here and there can save others their job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT