ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball 2015-16 Schedule Announced

UTEP had better win that Corpus Christi thing. Colorado St. will be our signature opponent of the non-conference schedule.

We have a true point guard now, one that we're taking a huge gamble on! No excuses!

I am not going to get all worked up about this schedule. Its a one bid league no matter if we play Arizona or Loyola of New Orleans. If the rest of the league isn't going to play RPI boosters, we shouldn't either. It has to be a league decision that every team plays road games in non-conference and tough home games. The MVC teams are known for traveling to crappy schools to boost RPI's.

What I cold get worked up about it is......Why are we in a rebuilding year? First, rebuilding what? We finished the season 3-4. Second, we've been rebuilding for a while. Five years to build up to mediocrity and then we have to rebuild that.

I am not going to get all worked up about this schedule. Its a one bid league no matter if we play Arizona or Loyola of New Orleans. If the rest of the league isn't going to play RPI boosters, we shouldn't either. It has to be a league decision that every team plays road games in non-conference and tough home games. The MVC teams are known for traveling to crappy schools to boost RPI's.

What I cold get worked up about it is......Why are we in a rebuilding year? First, rebuilding what? We finished the season 3-4. Second, we've been rebuilding for a while. Five years to build up to mediocrity and then we have to rebuild that.

Your first argument can be flipped. I agree it's a one-bid league, so why not play some exciting games for the fans and get better in the process by playing tougher competition? Perhaps because one of their key objectives is to show continued improvement in wins. Where that leads us, I'm not sure...

Not only that, but that was 30 years ago. The sports world has changed since then. There wasn't much difference between a USC and UTEP basketball wise. What I mean by that is, USC wouldn't have been on TV that much more than UTEP. ESPN was barely starting out and there wasn't much to choose.

If you were a basketball player from Chicago, there wasn't a big basketball gap between the schools. Now there is. USC is constantly on TV now, UTEP isn't.

80s style ball is dead. We can look up how bad a team is now. We know that Alcorn St sucks now. In the 80s, you really didn't know too much about them.

Your first argument can be flipped. I agree it's a one-bid league, so why not play some exciting games for the fans and get better in the process by playing tougher competition? Perhaps because one of their key objectives is to show continued improvement in wins. Where that leads us, I'm not sure...

CUSA is a one bid league because of scheduling like this. Murray St and SMU the year before proved that just winning is not enough. SMU played in the AAC with Louisville and UConn and still didn't get in because they didn't play anybody non-conference. UTEP has ZERO chance with this schedule.

As bad as CUSA is, surprisingly ODU was one of the first 4 out last year. If they hadn't lost to Rice and made the CUSA Championship game, they might have gotten the nod. They had a good non-conference schedule last year and they won games.

So UTEP will be racking up meaningless wins versus meaningless teams instead of proving that they might belong. Unless they win the CUSA tourney, they will end up in another tourney. So basically, the whole season is pointless because unless they win those 3 games in March, it doesn't matter.

LaTech is playing Memphis and Ohio St next year, maybe we'll be lucky to play Colorado St, maybe they're not going to be any good next year. Even if UTEP gets blasted by 50 to Kentucky in Rupp, its 400x better than beating UTRGV. Look at UCLA last season. You can get your ass kicked multiple times and still get a bid.

Last edited:
I don't think Floyd and Stull are so cynical that they think we're a bunch of mouth-breathers that will keep smiling swallowing shit sandwiches.

I guess they're clinging to an "our record has gotten better every year" narrative they think they can sell.

But I agree the jig is up, maybe not this season, but likely next if they don't make the big dance.

Utep can still get an NCAA at large bid, simply by winning all their games and then losing in the conf finals I think 31-1 should get us to the promise land with this schedule!!! Lmao joking of course about going 31-1, but that almost basically what they'd have to so maybe 2 at the most 3 losses, so this schedule leave no room for slip ups, realistically they could only afford to lose to NMSU and 1 maybe 2 conf games to have a chance without winning tourney. No team from any conf has been left out with 2 or 3 losses that I can remember.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
We will have at least 4 loses before entering conference play. It is very likely NMSU will sweep us. The Washington State game is 50/50 and an away game, we will get 1 loss in the Corpus Tournament , and UC Irvine is a good team. I see us losing at least one of these cream puff games at he beginning of the season too. No way this team only loses 2-3 games.

I know I didn't say or predict they'll only have 2 or 3 losses I'm saying to the people who say they would have to win the cusa tourney to get in, that that's not entirely true, if Utep somehow had 1-4 loss season, but yes I agree that's more improbable

Unihorn, give it up, I'm with you, but he just doesn't get it, never will..............I know if you stop responding, he'll claim he won the "debate", b/c you didn't have a comeback, but that's what he lives for, give him something to pump up his little chest for ;)

Unfortunately, Kaplowitz's column last week simply validates the many fair-weather faux fans' excuses for not getting off their asses, spending a few bucks, and going to some games.

Unfortunately, Kaplowitz's column last week simply validates the many fair-weather faux fans' excuses for not getting off their asses, spending a few bucks, and going to some games.

Why would a person take a family of four to go see UTEP play 2-27 FAMU this year? They scored 33 points and lost by 45 to NMSU last year. They're a bottom 5 college team and I don't see them getting any recruiting accolades this season. What would make a "non-homer, faux fan" spend $40 on tickets to that game? He's not going to see a competitive game and there will likely be lots of lineup experimenting by Floyd. Why would anyone spend money to see Vandivort play? Are you even going to go to the game?

So I guess Steve is wrong as well?

Unless you go to all home games or donate your season tickets to someone, you are wrong! Spending $40 on tickets to FAMU is a great 2 hour investment in UTEP. Nothing like seeing UTEP vs a Top quality MEAC team at the DHC. To recap : Any opponent vs UTEP is must see and if you choose not to go, then you are not a fan. I guess there will only be about 5,000 real fans at the Don this November and December.

That's right -- the same 5,000 diehard fans will be there because they are enthusiastic devotees.

Why would a person take a family of four to go see UTEP play 2-27 FAMU this year? They scored 33 points and lost by 45 to NMSU last year. They're a bottom 5 college team and I don't see them getting any recruiting accolades this season. What would make a "non-homer, faux fan" spend $40 on tickets to that game? He's not going to see a competitive game and there will likely be lots of lineup experimenting by Floyd. Why would anyone spend money to see Vandivort play? Are you even going to go to the game?
Vandivort doesn't play for Utep anymore, not even as a walk on he got like some D3 or JC Scholarship

Also your point makes no sense, because what D1 school plays their walk ons the whole game in a conference game nobody, til the last minute or 2. Carlos I understand your frustrations, but literally all your points are exaggerated greatly and rarely establish any valid point, that is why people have issues with what u say. All opinions and venting is normal in forums like this, but you just come off as a disgruntled old man that has lost his sense of logic and just spouts out non sense

Further, it's twisted to expect loyal fans to boycott the games, and demand that Floyd be fired, when the team has been competitive.

I didn't mean that Floyd would play his walk-ons all game. I will dumb it down for you slower posters going forward. I establish a lot of valid points, you can check my "Likes Received" column and compare it to others. You can also go back and look at all the questions I posed to homer fans. They remained unanswered.

Further, it's twisted to expect loyal fans to boycott the games, and demand that Floyd be fired, when the team has been competitive.

Not attending a few or most games is not a "boycott". A boycott is a season ticket holder, giving back their tickets or making a widely known stink about it. If I don't buy a gallon of milk this week, am I boycotting it? All I demand is that Floyd has expectations and is held accountable. I think he should be fired unless he brings a CUSA Championship (either kind). UTEP will not be an at-large candidate so they will have to win the CUSA Tourney. UTEP can get a younger, hungrier coach who can get us to the tourney in less time.

Your questions remain unanswered because they're unanswerable. Why have teams with less resources done better than we have lately? I don't follow those teams, so I can't tell you specifically. Why don't you do a deep dive and report back to us with what you find...

Your questions remain unanswered because they're unanswerable. Why have teams with less resources done better than we have lately? I don't follow those teams, so I can't tell you specifically. Why don't you do a deep dive and report back to us with what you find...

Because I am not the one on here claiming everything is great and prosperous here in Minerland. How can LaTech win the CUSA regular season championship with a new D1 coach, 50% less fans in the stands, worse facilities, came from the WAC (which sucks according to people on here), but still dominate UTEP who has an ex-NBA and successful college head coach? Those are all "positives" according to fans on here, but why does UTEP fall short where it matters most?

How is it that UTEP beat Kentucky for the NCAA Championship -- Rupp sucked as a coach? It's sports, not the law of gravity. Winning is a combination of things with some luck thrown in. Why do great hitters go into slumps? I could go on and on, but I won't.

Floyd should make the big dance in the next two seasons. If he doesn't, I agree he should be replaced -- not that I have any say!

UTEP beat Kentucky because they were good and they only played that one time. Maybe UTEP would have beat them 99 times out of 100, won't know and it has no bearing on LaTech's current success in CUSA.

You want to bring up the 66 title or baseball, but again it doesn't help explain why a supposedly lesser athletics program is better than a supposedly better one. Again, I am not talking about our 2 head to head matchups last season. I am talking about the last 2 years when they were the better team, despite not having the resources that UTEP does.

Why is Baylor a better football program than UT right now? Since you're a big horns fan, you should be able to shed some light on that for us.

Join Orangebloods and we can chat all about Texas there.

Maybe Floyd has lost his mojo. He's a "favorite son" and will get more time than others, which I'm sure you don't get or agree with. But I suspect he'll only get a few more seasons, barring a disaster. We'll see. I'd love to see him recapture the magic here.

That's the problem with UTEP. Haskins ain't walking down the tunnel and people need to get over that. He will get way too many years like Price did and keep UTEP away from doing something special. Winning 20 games in CrapUSA might be good enough for you and all the blue hairs, but I want to see UTEP in the dance on a regular basis.

Now we're onto the "wait till next year if we don't do it this year" type of garbage. There's no reason why he can't win now.

Since you have such a winner's mentality tell us, please, about your greatest life achievements.

And you too will be a blue hair one day...

I have already listed my accomplishments on here before. You can go through the threads and find them if you're interested.

Yes I will have blue hairs one day, but I will not be having delusions of grandeur while I buy season tickets to see UTEP beat up on Alcorn and FAMU. The 60s, 70s, & 80s will be long, distant years ago and I will have expectations of beating real teams, not cupcakes like the blue hairs currently love to see.

Maybe when tickets aren't freely available for all games, you might see me buy season tickets. I can get tickets pennies on the dollar, hours before the event. Why would I overpay for something I don't have to? When you buy a car, do you ask to pay more or the sticker price?

Your accomplishments must have been forgettable -- remind me, if you will.

I keep reading La Tech as a great example of a basketball program light years ahead of UTEP's. Yet in the four years of Mike White's tenure he had zero NCAA Big Dance appearances and made one more NIT appearance than Floyd. Yes he won the league title a few times, but our resident gurus and Floyd haters have established that only an NCAA appearance accounts for success. I'm sure that if Floyd had guided the Miners to five straight championships, but zero Big Dance appearances, they wouldn't be singing the same praises they bestow on Mike White, and La Tech. After all, by their logic, White failed at LA Tech.

Reactions: unihorn
This thread went from semi-interesting to absurd and pointless in less than a page. A new low for this board....congrats!!

I keep reading La Tech as a great example of a basketball program light years ahead of UTEP's. Yet in the four years of Mike White's tenure he had zero NCAA Big Dance appearances and made one more NIT appearance than Floyd. Yes he won the league title a few times, but our resident gurus and Floyd haters have established that only an NCAA appearance accounts for success. I'm sure that if Floyd had guided the Miners to five straight championships, but zero Big Dance appearances, they wouldn't be singing the same praises they bestow on Mike White, and La Tech. After all, by their logic, White failed at LA Tech.

Never once did I or anyone else say LaTech was "light years" ahead of UTEP. La Tech did not make the NCAA tourney under White, but they won CUSA regular season championships. Not to mention, they won post season games.

Meanwhile, Floyd has not done either of those 2. That is my point. I can't speak for anyone else you're referring to, but that's my point. White brought that to La Tech while Floyd hasn't despite a bunch of advantages. Do you get it or do you want me to go over it again?

I get that you and your cronies consider an NCAA appearance the only mark of success. Your words and opinions, or are you going to change that now? By that logic, then White's tenure was every bit a failure as Floyd's has been. Who cares about league championships if there's no trip to the Big Dance behind it, right? Name those NIT victories and what good did it do them? It's all about the Big dance. I'm not anti La Tech, I think they're an important program for the league. But following your logic, they haven't fared one bit better than UTEP, despite stellar recruits. Happy for Mike White though.

An NCAA appearance is important, but according to people on here, winning 20 games is all that matters.

Fact is Floyd hasn't been to the Dance in 5 years here, nor has he even won post season games or a regular season championship to "deserve" more time or the benefit of the doubt.

All 3 previous coaches made the NCAA tourney in LESS time and did it playing in tougher leagues. Floyd hasn't and people come up with the lamest excuses. I bring up LaTech because they don't have all the advantages that homer fans bring up.

They have accomplished more than UTEP has. They could have beat Texas St in the NIT, doesn't matter, at least they won a post season game.

Some people will always believe they are right no matter what you say...! Carlos doesn't understand sports and its ok

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT