ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

Hamilton looks good. He is strong, quick off the dribble and finishes well. Looks to have some range too and seems to play with an edge to him. I think he would be a really good pickup. IF he plays strong D he can slide right in to that PF spot we need. I dont think we get both him and Feazell, but that could give us a pretty strong 10 deep.

"Jairus Hamilton - Men's Basketball - University of Maryland Athletics" https://umterps.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/jairus-hamilton/8877

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. Coaches these days are always trying to find an oversized PG but they don't usually work out. I'd settle for a 6' guy that can do the job in an outstanding way, like Hardaway.

He doubled his 3 pt% over the last 2 seasons but is still at 31%. Need to be a little better than that.

I was thinking the same thing. Coaches these days are always trying to find an oversized PG but they don't usually work out. I'd settle for a 6' guy that can do the job in an outstanding way, like Hardaway.

He doubled his 3 pt% over the last 2 seasons but is still at 31%. Need to be a little better than that.
Oversized point guards usually don't work out...unless your name is Julyan Stone, the exception to the rule. 6'6 I believe? But ran the offense so well

Oversized point guards usually don't work out...unless your name is Julyan Stone, the exception to the rule. 6'6 I believe? But ran the offense so well

Magic Johnson, Penny Hardaway, Luka Doncic and then you have the forwards that dabble as point guards; Lebron, Pippen, Manu. It takes a very special player to make the oversized point guard work. Stone was amazing at UTEP, I really thought he was going to make it in the NBA.

Magic Johnson, Penny Hardaway, Luka Doncic and then you have the forwards that dabble as point guards; Lebron, Pippen, Manu. It takes a very special player to make the oversized point guard work. Stone was amazing at UTEP, I really thought he was going to make it in the NBA.
Ben Simmons

Reactions: minermx07
He needed a better outside shot.

He needed a better outside shot.
Stone was a fantastic defender. Usually drew the opponents best player and often shut him down. IMO, that's a good reason why his longer shots weren't that good. It seems like the harder a player works on D the worse his outside shot is. That often goes for teams that play great man to man, also.

Durant and Greek the freak are basically guards. Actually NBA wants tall PGs. That's why Randy didn't make it. Isiah Thomas cant get a job .

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Durant and Greek the freak are basically guards. Actually NBA wants tall PGs. That's why Randy didn't make it. Isiah Thomas cant get a job .
Wrong - as usual. Randy and IT aren’t good outside shooters. Trae Young is 6’1”, Steph Curry is 6’3”, Ja Morant is 6’3”, De’Aaron Fox is 6’3”, Damian Lillard is 6’2”. No room in the NBA for these “shorties”.

Reactions: MinerInVegas
Wrong - as usual. Randy and IT aren’t good outside shooters. Trae Young is 6’1”, Steph Curry is 6’3”, Ja Morant is 6’3”, De’Aaron Fox is 6’3”, Damian Lillard is 6’2”. No room in the NBA for these “shorties”.
I think Randy would have been as good as Kemba Walker given the chance, and is more athletic. He's done we'll for himself, but if he was a point guard in college, things may have been different.

With that news, sure hope Keyshawn Feazell commits. We could use a 6’9”, 235 pound banger. A double double machine. Dude had 19 boards one game and then was in the teens quite a few other games.
Yeah he looks interesting, but I was hoping for Hamilton when I learned about him. I think he will dominate CUSA. I would say this was a swing and miss by Golding.

I do think Hamilton may have to sit out a year though since he transferred last year.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Yeah he looks interesting, but I was hoping for Hamilton when I learned about him. I think he will dominate CUSA. I would say this was a swing and miss by Golding.
Yeah, I guess. If I was a player that had a choice between UTEP and WKU, at this point I’d be a atop the hills too, though.

My expectations for recruiting this year are not all that high. Without a full recruiting cycle, and as poor as our results have been the last decade, it ain’t gon be easy to attract the “higher profile” guys.

I know Golding has said he is looking to win immediately, and fantastic if he can. I’m still on the 3-4 year build up plan. CJG can coach. He will coach his guys up. When he does that and utep shows steady improvement, more recruits will consider coming to EP. It’ll be a process, imo.

I don’t see it as a swing and a miss on Hamilton. As much as I’d like to have him, I didn’t think we really had much of a chance for him anyway.

Yeah, I guess. If I was a player that had a choice between UTEP and WKU, at this point I’d be a atop the hills too, though.

My expectations for recruiting this year are not all that high. Without a full recruiting cycle, and as poor as our results have been the last decade, it ain’t gon be easy to attract the “higher profile” guys.

I know Golding has said he is looking to win immediately, and fantastic if he can. I’m still on the 3-4 year build up plan. CJG can coach. He will coach his guys up. When he does that and utep shows steady improvement, more recruits will consider coming to EP. It’ll be a process, imo.

I don’t see it as a swing and a miss on Hamilton. As much as I’d like to have him, I didn’t think we really had much of a chance for him anyway.
Ok well to me it is. I see all your points, but when Golding said he was going to try and win now I took him serious (not just as coaches talk). I thought he had something up his sleeve, but I am still weary of his ability to recruit. I've already explained my thoughts in that regard. I am willing to give him time, but I'm still keeping my expectations high.

As good as WKU might be, they have yet to win CUSA, win the CUSA tourney or even get the NCAA under Stansbury. Meanwhile Golding is coming off if an NCAA win and may be a better coach as far as well all can tell.

Ok well to me it is. I see all your points, but when Golding said he was going to try and win now I took him serious (not just as coaches talk). I thought he had something up his sleeve, but I am still weary of his ability to recruit. I've already explained my thoughts in that regard. I am willing to give him time, but I'm still keeping my expectations high.

As good as WKU might be, they have yet to win CUSA, win the CUSA tourney or even get the NCAA under Stansbury. Meanwhile Golding is coming off if an NCAA win and may be a better coach as far as well all can tell.
I get it. Not trying to sway anyone’s opinion. I see your points too. It all amounts to recruiting expectations. Mine are low-mid level for this year due to my afore mentioned reasons.

I hope I’m wrong and Golding pulls a rabbit out of his hat on the recruiting trail.

Last edited:
I think he will win, more games than Terry did. WKU is very close to the NCAAS. They have made the last 3 cusa title games. I can't remember the last time we won a cusa tournament game. Golding still has to prove he can win at UTEP.

WKU is closer to home for Hamilton. I will give him that.

WKU sure did reload their front line though. I wonder if we play them this year on the road?

What's taking Bryson Williams so long to decide?? Any idea if he plans to test the NBA Draft??

Idk what's up with this year's ratings, but this kid is a steal in my mind and Miner Fans will be pleasantly surprised. He's a very hard worker. He's going to be at least our second best shooter maybe the best and he's a god 2 guard size for college to get some rebounds and play defense.

Idk what's up with this year's ratings, but this kid is a steal in my mind and Miner Fans will be pleasantly surprised. He's a very hard worker. He's going to be at least our second best shooter maybe the best and he's a god 2 guard size for college to get some rebounds and play defense.
Completely agree.

Reactions: miner1liner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT