ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

Future Tony Parker? I say that, cause he's french not cause he'll be on that level by the way in case he doesn't end up being a stud PG. I do think this was a move to have a PG of the future though. Now that the coaching is in place I think will see things Pick ⚒️ up!

Reactions: shyminer81

I like and approve . A little better my grade for Golding goes up to a C. I dont know much about this recruit but I like that he is French and he is not a juco. Now I will go YouTube him and check him out. Hope he has some highlights.

Looking at his highlights and he looks good. Has good handles and good passer. Nice maybe a French connection building here??

Last edited:
Could be either/or..
Yes. Giffa is a much different type of PG than Bieniemy. He looks like a guy who can penetrate the defense, and dish. I'm hoping he can come in a contribute ~15 minutes per game. Bieniemy played way too many minutes last year, and his play slipped as the year wore on. We knew right away that Vuk was not a guy who could step in without hurting the team. We also know that Bieniemy is steady, but far from dynamic. The question I see with Giffa is his shooting percentage. Of course, adapting to the style of play is also a factor. Overall, I like the fit in terms of player skills and team needs.

What would a 4 guard lineup look like
G- Bieniemy 6-5
G- Boum 6-3
G- Kennedy 6-5
G- Agnew 6-2 or French 🍟
C- Verhouven 6-10

What would a 4 guard lineup look like
G- Bieniemy 6-5
G- Boum 6-3
G- Kennedy 6-5
G- Agnew 6-2 or French 🍟
C- Verhouven 6-10
Could be. A lot of teams are playing 2 PGs and/or multiple guards deep. Depending on how game ready Giffa and Satterfield are then we could go 6 deep. Tydus and Bonke could split time in the middle with Onyema bringing flash off the bench. We could also press and apply heavy pressure on defense.

Could be. A lot of teams are playing 2 PGs and/or multiple guards deep. Depending on how game ready Giffa and Satterfield are then we could go 6 deep. Tydus and Bonke could split time in the middle with Onyema bringing flash off the bench. We could also press and apply heavy pressure on defense.
Yup to above, but I really expected big results from Satterfield. You can't ignore his excellent stats at Ranger. Don't see anyone else on the roster that comes close.

Reactions: axingfools1
Golding's ACU team from last year that slayed Texas in the tourney had 9 guards ranging from 5'7 to 6'5, 4 forwards ranging from 6'5 to 6'8 and 1 center.
He's got experience playing multiple guards.

I like and approve . A little better my grade for Golding goes up to a C. I dont know much about this recruit but I like that he is French and he is not a juco. Now I will go YouTube him and check him out. Hope he has some highlights.

Looking at his highlights and he looks good. Has good handles and good passer. Nice maybe a French connection building here??
Link to highlights please?

My question is why do these players come to the states to play college ball?? When they can be making money overseas??

Do they not have College athletics in France??

Yup to above, but I really expected big results from Satterfield. You can't ignore his excellent stats at Ranger. Don't see anyone else on the roster that comes close.
Yep. The more competition at guard the better too. I enjoyed our team in 15-16 that started 4 guards. It was a fast paced and a very good shooting team. I wonder how that team would have faired had Hunter stayed?

I haven't watched their games but does anybody know if ACU ran pick and roll?

Yep. The more competition at guard the better too. I enjoyed our team in 15-16 that started 4 guards. It was a fast paced and a very good shooting team. I wonder how that team would have faired had Hunter stayed?

I haven't watched their games but does anybody know if ACU ran pick and roll?
I've watched the Texas game about 6 times and ACUs motion is fascinating. Their players often run in pairs. They'll arc around the perimeter on defense and double up for traps and do something similar on offense. When a player drives the lane there is another right behind him to pick up the garbage and put it home. I'm sure someone could describe it better than me but it's a beautiful motion.
Maybe Fili can explain it for us :cool:

I've watched the Texas game about 6 times and ACUs motion is fascinating. Their players often run in pairs. They'll arc around the perimeter on defense and double up for traps and do something similar on offense. When a player drives the lane there is another right behind him to pick up the garbage and put it home. I'm sure someone could describe it better than me but it's a beautiful motion.
Maybe Fili can explain it for us :cool:
Imagine Kennedy or Onyema as the trailer!

I love motion offense. It was the first I learned playing basketball. It's old school, but a staple in basketball. It opens up a bunch of options offensively and puts a lot of pressure on the defense when run correctly. If you have a big that can screen and has good footwork around the rim it's almost unstoppable. BW would thrive in motion. If you also have a guy that can shoot on the move then it can be devastating.

Last edited:
My current grade for Golding: Incomplete

How do you grade someone without even watching a game? How ridiculous. How are we even having this conversation?
Read the posts and you'll notice we said Pre season grades since he's been here lol. As in recruiting, retention of players, staff, etc...

I still don't understand how you can give a pre-season grade without letting the pre-season complete. It has been one month and a couple days since he was hired. I'll continue to wait until all the dust settles before giving out a grade.

I still don't understand how you can give a pre-season grade without letting the pre-season complete. It has been one month and a couple days since he was hired. I'll continue to wait until all the dust settles before giving out a grade.
Maybe think about it like a high school freshman student. The year starts and eventually there are grades. You may have high expectations, but sometimes you start fast and sometimes you start slow. There is always time to improve. Your 1st grade may not be the same as the end of the semester grade or end of the year grade, but you are still being graded from time to time. Give it 4 years and see what happens.

It's fair to grade Golding now. I think he will do very well actually. I'm just hoping for some proven higher level recruits so I can feel more comfortable heading into the season. At least one! What else are we going to do?

Maybe think about it like a high school freshman student. The year starts and eventually there are grades. You may have high expectations, but sometimes you start fast and sometimes you start slow. There is always time to improve. Your 1st grade may not be the same as the end of the semester grade or end of the year grade, but you are still being graded from time to time. Give it 4 years and see what happens.

It's fair to grade Golding now. I think he will do very well actually. I'm just hoping for some proven higher level recruits so I can feel more comfortable heading into the season. At least one! What else are we going to do?
That's true. I believe the first set of report cards are given after 6 weeks in schools.

How about grades for each individual assignment?

A. For keeping Boum.

A. For keeping Beienemy

A. For keeping Kennedy

A+. For taking Verhoeven out of the portal

B. On his two assistants

B. On Saterfield

C. On Maring

C. On Giffa

Idk guys and gals. I'm no expert.

You dont get double bars, clusters, bird's or stars on your lapel by putting together what appears to be a good staff and some veteran sergeants who play virtual war.

However, Golding's character and resume speak for themselves and deserves a honest shot at a venue like UTEP.

Reactions: miner1liner
No one seems to think very much of Maring except Golding. He describes Maring as capable of defending, playing high and low post and being very important to the way Golding wants the offense to work. Sounds like Golding plans to use Maring quite a bit.

Reactions: miner1liner
No one seems to think very much of Maring except Golding. He describes Maring as capable of defending, playing high and low post and being very important to the way Golding wants the offense to work. Sounds like Golding plans to use Maring quite a bit.
I think he looks very skilled. I think most are just worried if that will translate to D1. He does have great size and 3 years left to work. I actually think he could play some at the traditional 4 (especially in a motion offense).

I think he looks very skilled. I think most are just worried if that will translate to D1. He does have great size and 3 years left to work. I actually think he could play some at the traditional 4 (especially in a motion offense).
I tend to think Coach Joe might be a little better qualified to rate the caliber of Bonke ability than any of us.

I liked Maring from the get go. I think he’ll be more than serviceable.
He had a big jump in production from his freshman year (as did Saterfield). It's a big jump to D1 as we know, and these guys will need to continue to grow and adapt quickly. For Maring, based on his versatility to play both the 4 and 5, his path to significant playing time is almost a certainty based on the current roster.

Defensive POY in his league as a HS senior. He can jump (unlike Efe), he's quick, loves to dunk and can hit 3s. But, he was almost always the biggest player on the floor. That will change in CUSA.
It'll be interesting to see how he does against Junior of LaTech. I think the Miners will grind LT into the ground with quickness.
This team is being built for the future with an eye on this season. If we are over 50% it will be an improvement. CJGs second and third seasons might be special.

Last edited:
He had a big jump in production from his freshman year (as did Saterfield). It's a big jump to D1 as we know, and these guys will need to continue to grow and adapt quickly. For Maring, based on his versatility to play both the 4 and 5, his path to significant playing time is almost a certainty based on the current roster.
I took Ground's tip and reviewed THE ACU-TEXAS game. It was a matter of well coached/disciplined players (smaller as well) emerging victorious over mighty Texas. Doubt any of Golding's guys were multi star rated.

I took Ground's tip and reviewed THE ACU-TEXAS game. It was a matter of well coached/disciplined players (smaller as well) emerging victorious over mighty Texas. Doubt any of Golding's guys were multi star rated.
Exactly. We don't need 4 star guys. The guys he recruits will all feed into his system and culture. By year 3, if he's still here, will be when the "big names" will commit.

Yep and them they got trounced in the next game by the Joe's from UCLA.

I think we are going in circles here. We all know how most of each other feel about Golding. I hope he does well and if in 2-3 years he is winning AND recruiting better players then great. I hope he wins, recruits great players and stays to take us deep in the NCAA.

And UCLA got beat by a last second Hail Mary bank shot in OT as the Zags made the Champ game. It could have easily been UCLA in the Champ game.
ACU met the 4th best team in the country (arguably) after they beat Texas.
And the Zags just recruited THREE 5 star players after recruiting their 1st a year ago. It won't be long before they win. Gonzaga is a great program and what UTEP (and all mid majors) should be striving to emulate.

UTEP in never going to get anywhere without a good coach AND good players. That's just what it takes. Maybe my expectations are ridiculous to some, but to each his own.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT