ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

On a separate topic related to Beard, I wonder why his players have performed so well in college, but then they have performed so poorly in the NBA?

- Zhaire Smith was a first round pick just 3 years ago(drafted only 2 picks behind MPJ) and he is already out of the league.

- Jarrett Culver was the #6 pick in the entire draft, but he has been a complete bust through his first 2 years and couldn't even get into Minnesota's rotation this year when healthy. At this rate, he might not even be in the league in a couple of years either.

- Jahmius Ramsey was a top 25 ranked high school player, who ended up being a one-and-done and got drafted in the 2nd round last year. He failed to make a splash as a rookie and there are a lot of questions whether he will be able to stick in the league or not.

- This year both Terrence Shannon and Matt McClung both declared early, yet neither gained much interest, as both have failed to reach the 1st round in most mock drafts.

What is interesting about this, is that Beard coached under Bob Knight and Knight's players also had a lot of success in college, but then very few successes in the NBA(of course outside of Isaiah Thomas). If you are a college fan, then I guess you are happy that Beard is getting the top results from these guys in college and you don't really care what happens once they reach the NBA, but it still makes you wonder why there seems to be a consistent pattern forming under Beard's players, which is similar to what happened under his mentor.

On a separate topic related to Beard, I wonder why his players have performed so well in college, but then they have performed so poorly in the NBA?

- Zhaire Smith was a first round pick just 3 years ago(drafted only 2 picks behind MPJ) and he is already out of the league.

- Jarrett Culver was the #6 pick in the entire draft, but he has been a complete bust through his first 2 years and couldn't even get into Minnesota's rotation this year when healthy. At this rate, he might not even be in the league in a couple of years either.

- Jahmius Ramsey was a top 25 ranked high school player, who ended up being a one-and-done and got drafted in the 2nd round last year. He failed to make a splash as a rookie and there are a lot of questions whether he will be able to stick in the league or not.

- This year both Terrence Shannon and Matt McClung both declared early, yet neither gained much interest, as both have failed to reach the 1st round in most mock drafts.

What is interesting about this, is that Beard coached under Bob Knight and Knight's players also had a lot of success in college, but then very few successes in the NBA(of course outside of Isaiah Thomas). If you are a college fan, then I guess you are happy that Beard is getting the top results from these guys in college and you don't really care what happens once they reach the NBA, but it still makes you wonder why there seems to be a consistent pattern forming under Beard's players, which is similar to what happened under his mentor.
To me, it tells me he gets the most out of his players. He gets them to play beyond their talent level. It doesn't mean that those players are going to succeed at the same level in a different situation. Also, the NBA is not there to babysit a player. Either they have what it takes or not.

Beard wins with defense...how many NBA players play defense?

NBA shows preference to American college players because there is a bigger pool of available ready to go talent within it's domestic markets. Europe offers best players with stronger foundations rooted in the basics.

Saw his high school highlights and at that level he really was a man amongst boys.

4 inches taller and more athletic than anyone around him.

The things that are undeniable are that he plays hard, with energy, and is an athletic 6’8.

In the stuff I saw, he was doing whatever he wanted. However, those kids were just cones basically.

Last edited:

Patrick Ewing Holding Back Freshman Jamari Sibley for When He's Ready to Play​

By Tyler Byrum • Published December 4, 2020​

"This offseason, the Georgetown Hoyas pulled in a large recruiting class, admitting five scholarship players to the program. Headlining the class of recruits was four-star Jamari Sibley.

We're only two games into the season and the promising young Sibley has yet to check-in for a game. On a Georgetown team that lost several of the key figures from last year's squad, many pundits and fans assumed that he had the opportunity to have a bigger role on the team.

His absence from the lineup even led some to guess that he was injured. As it turns out, head coach Patrick Ewing doesn't think he's quite ready to play.

"There's no update," Ewing said on Sibley when asked of an injury update on Friday. "When I think he's ready to play, that's when he'll play."

Sibley played in prep school at Southern Virginia's Oak Hill Academy. It's a boarding school that has recently produced some of the top high school recruits in the country. Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony and Quinn Cook are notable alums of the school.

Of players that have enrolled on the Hilltop, Sibley is the third-highest recruit that Ewing has brought in, according to 247 Sports. Sibley was ranked No. 103 in his class, only Jamorko Pickett and James Akinjo were ranked higher.

The biggest attributes of Sibley's game that could have an immediate impact are his scoring ability and athleticism. Positionally, the 6-foot-8 forward could play at either the three or the four position for the Hoyas. Sibley projects similarly to the spot played by Pickett, who has averaged 13.5 points and 7.0 rebounds this year.

Thus far, Ewing has opted to go for a three-guard starting lineup with some variations on the depth chart. Ewing, however, has the confidence of putting fellow freshman and forward Kobe Clark on the floor so far this season.

But until Ewing deems Sibley ready to hit the hardwood, he seems to have a spot reserved on the bench.

"Some fans have noted Sibley’s coincidental portal timing with regards to the announcement of his friend Patrick Baldwin, Jr. to attend UW-Milwaukee where Baldwin’s father coaches. Fan expectations were high for Sibley coming in. As a 6’8” four-star, top-100ish recruit out of Wisconsin, Sibley was highly touted before breaking his arm/wrist playing with Oak Hill Academy.

Entering the season, he was Ewing third-highest ranked incoming recruit, behind Jamorko Pickett and James Akinjo. Sibley committed to Patrick Ewing on November 29, 2019—right before the Great Defection and recruit Terrance Williams decommitted. He stuck with the team and earned that 2020-21 BIG EAST Tournament Championship banner." https://www.casualhoya.com/2021/5/1...ward-jamari-sibley-enters-the-transfer-portal

I like it I much happier. This one and the french kid are great additions.

Sibley is coming in with a "chip on his shoulder" after being denigrated by Patrick Ewing. Golding's kind of guy.

With 4 years of eligibility, he'll be looking to move on to a better conference but maybe CJG can get him to stay for a couple of years.

This is a Major score! It'll be interesting to see how he stacks up against Tydus. Maring and Oneyma might have to ride the pine a little longer than they'd like.

I wonder who reeled him in; Golding, Cox or Pierre?

The official announcement of assistants is due in about a week. I wonder if they'll be announcing our new center about the same time? Maybe it'll wind up being Maring in a running offense/defense.

Has Bryson Williams just been replaced with this move??
It was implied by a local sports media reporter.

The first game of the battle of I-10 is going to by sold out because NMSU has added some nice additions as well.

It was implied by a local sports media reporter.

The first game of the battle of I-10 is going to by sold out because NMSU has added some nice additions as well.
Is there any chance that entices Bryson Williams to stay as the team is looking stronger each day ?

Is there any chance that entices Bryson Williams to stay as the team is looking stronger each day ?
It appears Tech welcomed Williams with rose petals and a golden Laurel and served the best prized meat from "Lubbock Feeders" in southeast Lubbock. Just sayin'.

It appears Tech welcomed Williams with rose petals and a golden Laurel and served the best prized meat from "Lubbock Feeders" in southeast Lubbock. Just sayin'.
The Lubbock move makes no sense if he does that. They lost most of their good players and coach. They won't be as relevant next year for his last year. I hope he's smarter than that.

The Lubbock move makes no sense if he does that. They lost most of their good players and coach. They won't be as relevant next year for his last year. I hope he's smarter than that.
Yeah I dont see it either, but up to him. He woukd definitely get better competition on a consistent basis though.

Reactions: nattybry
Have to say— the day Sibley was announced, I was going to post how the silence on recruiting was deafening. Usually we’d get all excited about these well rated recruits CRT was bringing in, but rarely did it pan out the way we hoped. Maybe it’ll be different with Golding.

Can’t say I’m optimistic just yet. When you’ve been losing for this long, it starts to feel like an inevitability...

Have to agree, Lewis will be a hard get due to his status as a top national recruit. However, Golding appears to be giving his best to keep UTEP in the game. His approach looks honest and sincere and no false promises. Wish all the best for KJ Lewis no matter where chooses to play.

Reactions: axingfools1
I like that he is trying and giving it a shot…. Got really nothing to lose none think he will get him

The Kentucky beat writer tweets that KJ is in daily contact with the Kentucky staff and Lewis says it feels like a good fit there. Thats some tough competition.

Reactions: minermx07
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT