ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

And the Zags just recruited THREE 5 star players after recruiting their 1st a year ago. It won't be long before they win. Gonzaga is a great program and what UTEP (and all mid majors) should be striving to emulate.

UTEP in never going to get anywhere without a good coach AND good players. That's just just what it takes. Maybe my expectations are ridiculous to some, but to each his own.
I'm with ya, brother! Which came first, the great coach or the great players? Of course you have to have support from the school or you're lost.

Reactions: axingfools1
Id be happy with a UTEP player in the NBA and having a role.

Its been a while since UTEP actually had player had a actual career in the NBA. and no Julyan Stone, Derrick and Washburn dont count. Talking about Tim Hardaway, Antonio Davis, Greg Foster.

CJGs new assistant, Butch Pierre, has an interesting story. He's known as an ace recruiter and was accredited for building LSUs final 4 team in '06. He's had assistant jobs at Memphis, NC State, OK State and LSU. He got the HC job at Northwest Florida College, a junior college, but his mom and dad got covid. Mom died and dad was very sick so he resigned mid season.
Now UTEP has a top notch recruiter. Golding might let Butch take the recruiting helm and bring home some bigs.

CJGs new assistant, Butch Pierre, has an interesting story. He's known as an ace recruiter and was accredited for building LSUs final 4 team in '06. He's had assistant jobs at Memphis, NC State, OK State and LSU. He got the HC job at Northwest Florida College, a junior college, but his mom and dad got covid. Mom died and dad was very sick so he resigned mid season.
Now UTEP has a top notch recruiter. Golding might let Butch take the recruiting helm and bring home some bigs.

Looks like Golding is hiring outside the box. He isnt bringing in his friends?? Or maybe Senter told him that needs to bring in and experience assistant.

I doubt that Senter is dictating his assistant choices. I think we are experiencing a rare period of good luck. We got rid of a mediocre coach a year early, we landed an exciting hc who picked up 2 great assistants in Cox and Pierre who just happened to be available. Maybe UTEP should buy a lottery ticket.
"As an assistant coach, Pierre brings a proven track record as a recruiter to UTEP. That is exactly what Coach Golding needs as he prepares for his first season on the bench with the Miners. The team still has three scholarships left to give after announcing the signing of French point guard Kezza Giffa, and they remain in the mix for post help through the Transfer Portal. They also have one remaining assistant coaching position available, which sources tell 600 ESPN El Paso could be filled by as early as next week" ESPN600 KROD.COM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-dnt="true"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Looks like new UTEP recruit Kezza Giffa but when he was younger. I like the video <a href="https://t.co/wEAWQdcGUk">https://t.co/wEAWQdcGUk</a></p>&mdash; Miners dug for GOLDing and they got him (@Leo_MinersFan) <a href=" ">May 28, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
He has a strong resemblance to Cameron Payne. I hope he is just as good.

So I know we are not done recruiting but just with what you have seen and assumed Bryson Williams is gone ... what’s our win total this year ? —- sorry I am bored

So I know we are not done recruiting but just with what you have seen and assumed Bryson Williams is gone ... what’s our win total this year ? —- sorry I am bored
I stand by my original prediction when he was hired. 18+ wins.

Just read that six new players are at UT to join Beard's program. None of them are named Williams. Boy, was I wrong. I figured the only reason Beard wanted Terry was get Williams as a package deal.

Just read that six new players are at UT to join Beard's program. None of them are named Williams. Boy, was I wrong. I figured the only reason Beard wanted Terry was get Williams as a package deal.

I never thought Beard took Terry for that reason. In fact, I've never thought he was after Williams. Bryson just didn't perform at a level that would make him a Beard target this past season.

I never thought Beard took Terry for that reason. In fact, I've never thought he was after Williams. Bryson just didn't perform at a level that would make him a Beard target this past season.
Agreed, but BW tore up Tech in the exhibition 2 years ago and is definitly good enough to play big minutes in the Big 12. UT still has plenty of room, however they did sign 3 forwards and it's seems Sims will stay?

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I went from 50/50 he's coming back, to 20/80 that he's coming back and now I'm at 40/60 he's coming back. It's been a really weird situation with Williams and who know, maybe he just decides to play pro, since he's already 35 lol

Man he needs to just come back and help us recruit an anchor center from the Portal. Done.

He needs to just go pro make money overseas .

Maybe they will play better without Bryson. They forced the ball to him a lot. Now the guards can play freely.

He needs to just go pro make money overseas .

Maybe they will play better without Bryson. They forced the ball to him a lot. Now the guards can play freely.
🤣🤣🤣 oh lordy. I'm not sure how more FREE they could play!

Serious though. I would love to see Bryson and our guards play in a disciplined offense. Add a center/forward that can rebound/protect the rim and that would take pressure off of Bryson.

In one month if he hasn't made a pick, I'm putting an ice cold Foster's beer that he is returning.

Please clarify but don't programs like to have their newest players registered, moved in and checked in by July?

Reactions: miner1liner
In one month if he hasn't made a pick, I'm putting an ice cold Foster's beer that he is returning.

Please clarify but don't programs like to have their newest players registered, moved in and checked in by July?
Maybe it’s about a girl.

I think if UTEP could make some noise win the conference and win an NCAA game, Bryson would get more recognition than going to a power conference. Just my opinion but I wish he would stay.

He would get more recognition if he played in a power conference. Look at Bassey at WKU NBA prospect but gets no pub and Western Kentucky is winning. He dropped in some mock drafts to late 1st round.

He would get more recognition if he played in a power conference. Look at Bassey at WKU NBA prospect but gets no pub and Western Kentucky is winning. He dropped in some mock drafts to late 1st round.
Ja Morant was the #2 pick and he played at Murray St. How would have playing at a power conference helped him?? Maybe, talented players are found regardless of where they play and Bassey just isn’t that good???

Ja Morant was the #2 pick and he played at Murray St. How would have playing at a power conference helped him?? Maybe, talented players are found regardless of where they play and Bassey just isn’t that good???
Agree I never thought Bassey was that good. If Bryson and the current players can win. He will get noticed.

Projected 2nd round pick right behind Greg Brown and Luka Garza

Has anyone seen Bigwood? He's been too quiet. Need some good gossip/Intel where Golding is going next if he has any?

Reactions: kickballpro
He isn’t a high first rounder no matter where he played.

Hell, he may not even be a first round talent at all. Depends on who needs what.

wasnt Murray St ranked?? Didnt he take his team to final four??

he was projected lottery early in the season and throughout the season.
I didn't know that. It's hard to tell with some bigs. I think he will be good with the right team, but I dont think he is a lottery pick. I could see him going 1st round though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT