ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

It's been 3 weeks since Shemar Wilson decommited. He still hasn't landed anywhere. Seems like he jumped the gun both ways.

They should just stay and help turn this thing around. I think most of us agreed that the talent was there to win.
Putting your name in the portal is like putting up your resume on Indeed. Doesn’t mean you’re leaving your current situation, but others can talk to you.

Golding said that Verhoven and Sjoland are still practicing with the team. Bryson as well. Other transfer portal Miners aren’t

Hopefully Sjoland and Verhoven return. Bryson has been at every meeting and practice. Been on time to everything. You never know.

Coach Golding spending an hour to an hour and half with each kid in the program 1on1. Calling their parents, calling their HS coaches. Really getting to know them.

Fascinating that he recruited Ze'Rik Onyema to ACU BUT passed on him. Said when he got to see him here, he looks like a completely different player than the guy he knew in HS. Said Terry and his staff did a great job with him.

First practice Golding did was play whiffle ball. Said players were allowed to peg other players for outs and he made sure he found a hard ball to get hit with. (Build toughness) Also said Bryson Williams can really hit the ball.

Hopefully Sjoland and Verhoven return. Bryson has been at every meeting and practice. Been on time to everything. You never know.

Coach Golding spending an hour to an hour and half with each kid in the program 1on1. Calling their parents, calling their HS coaches. Really getting to know them.

Fascinating that he recruited Ze'Rik Onyema to ACU BUT passed on him. Said when he got to see him here, he looks like a completely different player than the guy he knew in HS. Said Terry and his staff did a great job with him.

First practice Golding did was play whiffle ball. Said players were allowed to peg other players for outs and he made sure he found a hard ball to get hit with. (Build toughness) Also said Bryson Williams can really hit the ball.

What is whiffle ball??

What is whiffle ball??
Baseball or softball with a plastic ball with a bunch of holes in it. The bat is plastic too usually. Rules are a little different than baseball because you can hit the base runner with the ball, like in kickball.

Reactions: JCorona
That KJ Lewis kid, is Chapin actually good, or is the kid carrying the team on his back? How is the he getting so much attention, in El Chuco? He plays for Drive Nation in Dallas, right?

That KJ Lewis kid, is Chapin actually good, or is the kid carrying the team on his back? How is the he getting so much attention, in El Chuco? He plays for Drive Nation in Dallas, right?
That's a dumb question. College recruiters don't just look at the players points per game. They actually scout and see this kid and rate his skills.

He did very well at Chris Paul camp. I dont think he is from El Paso. He is from North Carolina If I'm not mistaken. He was already know before coming to El Paso.

Reactions: nattybry
He did very well at Chris Paul camp. I dont think he is from El Paso. He is from North Carolina If I'm not mistaken. He was already know before coming to El Paso.
His mom played basketball for UTEP and dad, Kenyon Lewis, played DB for the Miners. She is a high school basketball coach and I think she moved back here after coaching in Midland/Odessa for awhile.

Just caught up on the Sportstalk conversation with CJG. I just have to say wow. First of all, dude sounds maniacal. Has he slept since he's been here?! Doesn't sound like it 🤣 Second, who wouldn't want to play for this guy? The best thing I heard him say was about his former player when he said "I would do anything for that kid for the rest of his life." That is the kind of coach I'd want to play for. Hopefully, Kristian and Tydus stick around. That would make our recruiting a little easier...just two or three more guys to round out the roster and all of a sudden, we're looking pretty good in conference!

That's a dumb question. College recruiters don't just look at the players points per game. They actually scout and see this kid and rate his skills.

You didn't understand my question and provided and dumb answer.
FiliUTEP and UTEP79 provided the answer I was looking for.

Reactions: kickballpro
Word is current Miner teammates remaining are intensely trying to sale Williams and Tydus on coming back and making an NCAA run year one with Golding. I'm not saying that's going to happen, jm just saying those two have went from 100% gone down to about 60%. Also Golding is working on some Big D-1 transfers. The portal and not having to sit out for first time transfers is going to change College Basketball for Mid Majors that can capitalize. For instance UAB and W. Kentucky have already hit the portal hard as has Charlotte who will be much improved. I'm calling it today if anyone wants to take the bet. C-USA will be a 2 bid league next year mark my words. I keep up with recruiting and W. Kentucky, UAB and Charlotte will be 22+ win good and Utep is up in the air depending on who comes back and who comes in. Some of y'all don't realize that UNC Charlotte used to be a damn good Basketball Program. For 10 years from 1995-2005 they were a regular NCAA participant and made deep runs. They had some issues, but if they can get it going, they are in one of the most fertile basketball recruiting grounds in the country and Charlotte is a Major City in the S. East. W. Kentucky has consistently stubbed their toe late in the season or else they would've made some at large trips. The parity in C-USA kind of hurts. We need these 6 teams all with decent Basketball History to be consistent. Utep, UAB, W. Kentucky, ODU, La Tech and Charlotte. Golding has me Ultra Excited in Utep Basketball again. Senter and Wilson made the right hire it seems so far. I hope they have the Cajoñes to cut ties with Dimel if he doesn't go bowling this year and hire a Splash Hire in football. It seems for now though, Senter and Wilson realize Basketball is Uteps Bread Winner and it has to start there. Football will be harder to build after being a bottom dweller for the better part of the last 50 years.

You didn't understand my question and provided and dumb answer.
FiliUTEP and UTEP79 provided the answer I was looking for.
Hey New Guy, u asked if KJ Lewis was actually good? That's a dumb question. You assumed, cause he plays in EP that maybe the hype wasn't legit. I answered your post with the correct response it deserved.

Reactions: Vegasminer
Hey New Guy, u asked if KJ Lewis was actually good? That's a dumb question. You assumed, cause he plays in EP that maybe the hype wasn't legit. I answered your post with the correct response it deserved.

You assumed that is what I asked. But if I must spell it out just for you, because others understood what I was asking; what is the kid doing to get national attention in a non-basketball state, in a non-basketball city? Is he the best player on a loaded team or is he so good he has a regular team punching way over their weight class?
The answer was neither, he popped up on radars before El Paso and brought attention to himself playing well, elsewhere against tougher competition.

You assumed that is what I asked. But if I must spell it out just for you, because others understood what I was asking; what is the kid doing to get national attention in a non-basketball state, in a non-basketball city? Is he the best player on a loaded team or is he so good he has a regular team punching way over their weight class?
The answer was neither, he popped up on radars before El Paso and brought attention to himself playing well, elsewhere against tougher competition.
I
Lol UTEP 79 said his mom played here and his dad played DB haha. So that answered your question? Lol ok bro sorry I misunderstood your question, welcome to Miner Digs, keep posting it's all in good fun. Just Utep Fans that wanna see Utep success sprinkled in with a couple of trolls. Look forward to your comments and Miner questions.

Word is current Miner teammates remaining are intensely trying to sale Williams and Tydus on coming back and making an NCAA run year one with Golding. I'm not saying that's going to happen, jm just saying those two have went from 100% gone down to about 60%. Also Golding is working on some Big D-1 transfers. The portal and not having to sit out for first time transfers is going to change College Basketball for Mid Majors that can capitalize. For instance UAB and W. Kentucky have already hit the portal hard as has Charlotte who will be much improved. I'm calling it today if anyone wants to take the bet. C-USA will be a 2 bid league next year mark my words. I keep up with recruiting and W. Kentucky, UAB and Charlotte will be 22+ win good and Utep is up in the air depending on who comes back and who comes in. Some of y'all don't realize that UNC Charlotte used to be a damn good Basketball Program. For 10 years from 1995-2005 they were a regular NCAA participant and made deep runs. They had some issues, but if they can get it going, they are in one of the most fertile basketball recruiting grounds in the country and Charlotte is a Major City in the S. East. W. Kentucky has consistently stubbed their toe late in the season or else they would've made some at large trips. The parity in C-USA kind of hurts. We need these 6 teams all with decent Basketball History to be consistent. Utep, UAB, W. Kentucky, ODU, La Tech and Charlotte. Golding has me Ultra Excited in Utep Basketball again. Senter and Wilson made the right hire it seems so far. I hope they have the Cajoñes to cut ties with Dimel if he doesn't go bowling this year and hire a Splash Hire in football. It seems for now though, Senter and Wilson realize Basketball is Uteps Bread Winner and it has to start there. Football will be harder to build after being a bottom dweller for the better part of the last 50 years.
True about 49'ers. I remember a game from years ago and they whomped on UTEP pretty good.

Backup PG? We need some bigs. Hopefully more news soon
Indeed! I’d take a whole front court of guys like Joe Pleasant. Very under the radar kid with an offer from Oral Roberts who Golding was able to snag. No stars on Rivals or 247, but hard working blue collar work ethic. Now he’s about to go replace Trey Wade at Wichita State. If Golding can continue to identify and land those kinds of guys, we’ll be alright.

Backup PG? We need some bigs. Hopefully more news soon
I can't see Golding being able to sell Minnett to come in as a backup in terms of minutes played with only one year of eligibility. I guess if Agnew decides not to return, Minnett could pickup his minutes, plus take some minutes from Bieniemy/Boum. If Golding is looking to bring in a guy like Minnett, it is with the intention of him playing significant minutes.

I can't see Golding being able to sell Minnett to come in as a backup in terms of minutes played with only one year of eligibility. I guess if Agnew decides not to return, Minnett could pickup his minutes, plus take some minutes from Bieniemy/Boum. If Golding is looking to bring in a guy like Minnett, it is with the intention of him playing significant minutes.
Yeah I'm a little confused. I thought maybe he would go after a PG, but a younger player. Not a 1 yr transfer. Maybe somebody else is planning to leave like you mentioned?

Yeah I'm a little confused. I thought maybe he would go after a PG, but a younger player. Not a 1 yr transfer. Maybe somebody else is planning to leave like you mentioned?
I'm guessing Agnew. Golding mentioned Bieniemy, Boum, and Kennedy as guys that were expected back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT