ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

What if he ends up at Central Michigan??
Naw just kidding.

I think if he doesn't stay then he should go west coast (Oregon, USC, San Diego St). I dont think exposure is an issue. He is known to those who need to know. I think he would just want to make the NCAA and be a big contributor.
Correct. It doesn’t matter where you played. Giannis was playing for some Greek team when he was drafted. Damian Lillard went to Weber St. Pascal Siakim played at NMSU. John Stockton played at Gonzaga when they sucked and never played on ESPN.

How many drafted Duke and Kentucky players end up having brief NBA careers? A lot.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
If you want to make an NCAA run, which imo is what Williams wants, then it matters where you play. If he wanted to pursue a professional career he would be gone already.

What if he ends up at Central Michigan??
Naw just kidding.

I think if he doesn't stay then he should go west coast (Oregon, USC, San Diego St). I dont think exposure is an issue. He is known to those who need to know. I think he would just want to make the NCAA and be a big contributor.
Agreed he needs to go where he can pad his numbers, if he ends up at a major, averages 10 a game he could fall off the radar. Scouts will say he couldn't do it with top competition. He needs the team he picks to win and then he becomes the why factor. If Golding can keep him here it will be a major accomplishment, don't see it happening though.

Reactions: shyminer81
Hard to believe it's only been two weeks today that Golding was announced. Seems like two months to me. He has said there are may available recruits out there and also that there are several who have expressed interest in being a Miner.
I'm starting to get very nervous, because there's been no indications of anything in progress. Trying to keep the faith with our new gung ho coach, hoping he's got some stuff up his sleeve.

Just stay patient Miner fans. Golding said during his presser that he needed to build relationships and ensure he recruits the right complements to his current players. I’m good with this approach. As I recall, Terry always recruited what seemed on paper, quality guys and then never knew how to utilize that talent. Tarke is a great example of this. Heck, he’s still recruiting one of the best talents in the portal right now in Williams. Let’s not take the sky is falling approach. Anyways, I’m super excited that he already has a quality assistant coach In cox and that is already an upgrade. It will come.

Just stay patient Miner fans. Golding said during his presser that he needed to build relationships and ensure he recruits the right complements to his current players. I’m good with this approach. As I recall, Terry always recruited what seemed on paper, quality guys and then never knew how to utilize that talent. Tarke is a great example of this. Heck, he’s still recruiting one of the best talents in the portal right now in Williams. Let’s not take the sky is falling approach. Anyways, I’m super excited that he already has a quality assistant coach In cox and that is already an upgrade. It will come.
Well said.

Na sorry cant be patient. We have the right to complain. If this was Duke or any other high profile school. Fans of those teams would be furious . Why should us utep fans have a low bar??

It better be a high profile player that we waiting for.

Na sorry cant be patient. We have the right to complain. If this was Duke or any other high profile school. Fans of those teams would be furious . Why should us utep fans have a low bar??

It better be a high profile player that we waiting for.
That’s funny

He was the Florida state tournament MVP. Went to the NJCAA tournament. Plays for the old SoMiss coach, Donnie Tyndall. Has a good mid range game. Strong to the hoop. Good body control. Not much film on him though.

Another yawner for Fili.

According to his Twitter, dude has offers from Cleveland State, St. Bonaventure, Middle Tennessee, UC Davis, Georgia Southern, Charleston, Fordham, Sam Houston State, Indiana State, Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Maine.

Sad those schools don't have Fili to tell them what's up.

He was the Florida state tournament MVP. Went to the NJCAA tournament. Plays for the old SoMiss coach, Donnie Tyndall. Has a good mid range game. Strong to the hoop. Good body control. Not much film on him though.

Another yawner for Fili.

Yeah not impressed. If I could take him then I'm not impressed. The JC route I dont think will cut in CUSA. Talent and athletic players win. The JC route might cut it in ACU . But this is different. Look at Western Kentucky they dont get jucos. 1 juco player is fine but not like 2 or 3. Doc Sadler went the juco route. It didn't work for him here at Utep.

Yeah not impressed. If I could take him then I'm not impressed. The JC route I dont think will cut in CUSA. Talent and athletic players win. The JC route might cut it in ACU . But this is different. Look at Western Kentucky they dont get jucos. 1 juco player is fine but not like 2 or 3. Doc Sadler went the juco route. It didn't work for him here at Utep.
Man, you’re an idiot.

Most jucos are there because they struggled academically, not because they weren’t deemed good enough for D1.

I would rather he recruit 2/3 star players and by the time they leave look like 4 star players. Than recruit 3/4 star players and they regress and we wonder if they should be D-1. That has been happening for to long here.

I think we all need to relax til the chips fall. It's very early and Williams and Tydus are still up in the air. The big kid out of Illinois St. would be a great replacement for Tydus though if he in fact leaves. We need one more shooter and ball handler and the rest big wing players or front court guys. Golding understands it's a different level, he doesn't need anyone informing him of that.

I think we all need to relax til the chips fall. It's very early and Williams and Tydus are still up in the air. The big kid out of Illinois St. would be a great replacement for Tydus though if he in fact leaves. We need one more shooter and ball handler and the rest big wing players or front court guys. Golding understands it's a different level, he doesn't need anyone informing him of that.
The Illinois St guy already committed to Pepperdine.

Baylor wins the NCAA Tournament!

Reactions: kickballpro
If Terry was recruiting Juco players everyone here would be crucifying him. What's the difference now??

On a national perspective, does Bryson W, staying help UTEP? Not talking about, the team. Rather the UTEP BB image? Lots of big schools are after him, if for some miracle he stays. That has to be a good look, right?

Reactions: kickballpro
If Terry was recruiting Juco players everyone here would be crucifying him. What's the difference now??
Bullshit!! People’s gripe with CRT was that he didn’t win. Almost as frustrating was his teams never even improved over the course of the season. Nobody would crucify any coach if they win...no matter who it is they recruit.

Bullshit!! People’s gripe with CRT was that he didn’t win. Almost as frustrating was his teams never even improved over the course of the season. Nobody would crucify any coach if they win...no matter who it is they recruit.

Let's say Terry was still coach and this is who he was recruiting?? These 2 juco players. How would you feel about it??

Filiberto Rivera was a 4 star recruit. Some juco players are okay. But I rather have a high school player. Have him for 4 years.
Fili was one of the best pg at the time and BG went aggressive. Fili did not disappoint IMO.

You go Barbee or you go Billy? Barbee took longer but it worked, too.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Let's say Terry was still coach and this is who he was recruiting?? These 2 juco players. How would you feel about it??
Here’s the thing. As far as I can tell, there are big differences between CRT and CJG. One has multiple appearances at the Dance the last few years. One doesn’t. One I know can’t coach players up. One appears to do a very good job of coaching guys up.

So to answer your question, I learned Terry was all smoke and mirrors who appeared to recruit well. But even his 3 and 4 star guys look like average 2 star guys. At this point I wouldn’t trust any guy that CRT recruited...if coached by him.

Until proven otherwise, I trust who Golding wants to recruit. Funny that you think you could take this latest kid. Where’d you play ball?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT