ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

Yea "someguyChris" posted a tweet with Giffa at practice. Will always laugh at the quote by Floyd.

I don't get it. Is that him wearing the red shoe or what?

And what is the deal with KK? I assume we haven't heard anything because he hasn't signed yet. At least I kinda hope that the case, but then I would be concerned as to why. Always some BS going on at UTEP and always the silent treatment.

Reactions: JCorona
So apparently UTEP and NMSU are both after a good big transfer that visited both schools recently. Hopefully UTEP gets this one.

I don't get it. Is that him wearing the red shoe or what?

And what is the deal with KK? I assume we haven't heard anything because he hasn't signed yet. At least I kinda hope that the case, but then I would be concerned as to why. Always some BS going on at UTEP and always the silent treatment.
The post is of a picture posted on an instagram account by https://www.instagram.com/2_nasty_/. I'll give you 1 guess as to who @2_nasty_ is

I dont think NMSU has any room left and they have plenty of bigs, and starting bigs at that. If we can't beat them out that would be pretty sad.
Looks like the Aggies got him. He would make 15 on their roster, how many are scholarship I don't know. It's not announced officially that I can see but he suddenly has NMSU on his twitter byline. Mike Peake, originally signed with Georgia in 2019, transferred to Austin Peay before last season. UTEP has lost out on several big men in the portal. Jans is a recruiting machine.

Reactions: utep-piggy
Looks like the Aggies got him. He would make 15 on their roster, how many are scholarship I don't know. It's not announced officially that I can see but he suddenly has NMSU on his twitter byline. Mike Peake, originally signed with Georgia in 2019, transferred to Austin Peay before last season. UTEP has lost out on several big men in the portal. Jans is a recruiting machine.
By my count that makes 20 (per verbal commits). Aggies go 2 deep already across the front line unless there is something I am missing. Not sure how he fits in at NMSU, but good luck to him then. His numbers at Austin Peay are ok for being a P5 downgrade. Any word on KK?

By my count that makes 20 (per verbal commits). Aggies go 2 deep already across the front line unless there is something I am missing. Not sure how he fits in at NMSU, but good luck to him then. His numbers at Austin Peay are ok for being a P5 downgrade. Any word on KK?
Only thing I know of KK is that he has UTEP MBB on his twitter account.

I dont think NMSU has any room left and they have plenty of bigs, and starting bigs at that. If we can't beat them out that would be pretty sad.
Sad indeed. Looks like your were right in questioning Golding and his staff recruiting abilities.

Reactions: axingfools1
Sad indeed. Looks like your were right in questioning Golding and his staff recruiting abilities.
I agree. The right to question has been more than validated. I still think this is a 4 year process of continuous improvement, which will make recruiting easier from year to year. I think it is underestimated how difficult it is to recruit to a perennial less than mediocre team. Add to that, the perception from outsiders of EP doesn’t help.

They are definitely off to a tepid start, but to be fair I will see how the new guys look and give him at least a full recruiting cycle. A lot can play out in that time.
I was about to write something similar. Also, we need to give NMSU some credit too. They have made a lot of NCAAs and have a lot of conference championships, in between the last time UTEP had those. If you’re looking at NMSU vs UTEP from an independent perspective, it’s not that big a deal to lose recruits to them at the moment.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Cheezus Christmas, Golding hasn't even coached a live game yet. From NMSU's perspective they're probably saying the same about UTEP "Man, they got Bienemy, Kennedy, Boum" whoever. "They just need a coach to put it all together".

Reactions: miner1liner
I agree. The right to question has been more than validated. I still think this is a 4 year process of continuous improvement, which will make recruiting easier from year to year. I think it is underestimated how difficult it is to recruit to a perennial less than mediocre team. Add to that, the perception from outsiders of EP doesn’t help.
I agree that this should be an indication of how the current youth view the state of UTEP basketball. Then I remember that it wasn't even a year ago that Terry was bringing in former 4 star P5 transfers.

Hopefully Golding produces better results with his guys than Terry did with his transfers.

Fall classes start Monday I believe but late registration ends Sept 8th. Don't know if there is another big man on the horizon or not.

If the current roster plus Kalu is all we have, I would expect that Verhoeven, Sibley, Kennedy, Biememy, Boum, Agnew, Saterfield and Maring will have to carry the load with Maring and Saterfield needing the ooc games to adjust to D1. I imagine that Onyema and Kalu will be brought along more slowly. Not sure where White fits in.

I agree that this should be an indication of how the current youth view the state of UTEP basketball. Then I remember that it wasn't even a year ago that Terry was bringing in former 4 star P5 transfers.

Hopefully Golding produces better results with his guys than Terry did with his transfers.
Neither Bieniemy nor Kennedy look like former 4 star players to me. Both lack solid all around games. If Golding can identify guys that can carry out his vision, I won’t care if they are 2 star guys or no star guys.

With that said, I hope, and believe, Golding will be able to increase the quality of recruits from year to year.

Neither Bieniemy nor Kennedy look like former 4 star players to me. Both lack solid all around games. If Golding can identify guys that can carry out his vision, I won’t care if they are 2 star guys or no star guys.

With that said, I hope, and believe, Golding will be able to increase the quality of recruits from year to year.
Amen, brother

Reactions: miner1liner

Exactly. Good coach AND good recruiting

Really, with the eye test, which guys have we had over the past 10 years that were 4 star recruits? Maybe J.Wash, Hunter, Artis and Lee Moore? Probably Williams too.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Nothing can really be in question this year, til we see how they play and fit with this team and then with a season under his belt next season we will have more of a sense at how well he'll recruit here and is abilities.

Really, with the eye test, which guys have we had over the past 10 years that were 4 star recruits? Maybe J.Wash, Hunter, Artis and Lee Moore? Probably Williams too.
VH is the only guy I’d consider a 4 star using the eye test. Lee Moore maybe. Just was such a good finisher. JWash a high 3 imo. Artis a low 3…while here anyway. Williams a 3. Just my humble doesn’t-amount-to-shit opinion.

Fall classes start Monday I believe but late registration ends Sept 8th. Don't know if there is another big man on the horizon or not.

If the current roster plus Kalu is all we have, I would expect that Verhoeven, Sibley, Kennedy, Biememy, Boum, Agnew, Saterfield and Maring will have to carry the load with Maring and Saterfield needing the ooc games to adjust to D1. I imagine that Onyema and Kalu will be brought along more slowly. Not sure where White fits in.
Agree. I know a lot of people here don't agree, but for some reason I think Onyema has the potential there to be pretty spectacular. I mean the kid is so explosive and is still growing. He reminds me a lot of a younger Robert Williams or Tchatchoua from Baylor

I am more optimistic than most of you seem to be about our status. I do agree that Bieniemy and Kennedy were very disappointing and we need upgrades drastically at those spots. I feel there's a decent chance that we might be pleasantly surprised at what could get from one our truly unknown bigs; Onyema, Sibley, Maring and Kalu plus Verhoeven's improvements offensively (Golding said he can be a scorer).
Let's be patient and see if the coaching we so desperately wanted comes to pass with the new regime.

I am more optimistic than most of you seem to be about our status. I do agree that Bieniemy and Kennedy were very disappointing and we need upgrades drastically at those spots. I feel there's a decent chance that we might be pleasantly surprised at what could get from one our truly unknown bigs; Onyema, Sibley, Maring and Kalu plus Verhoeven's improvements offensively (Golding said he can be a scorer).
Let's be patient and see if the coaching we so desperately wanted comes to pass with the new regime.
I’m extremely optimistic. I just think it’ll be a process. It won’t be overnight success, imo. Also, I wasn’t overly disappointed with Bieniemy or Kennedy. Just didn’t think they rose up to the 4 star status they each brought in with them. I think if they play to their strengths, and are held accountable to that, they’ll both help out a lot. Also think our front court will be more serviceable than most think. I liked Maring from the moment I saw his film. Would like to see Golding bring out the best in uber explosive Onyema, too.

I could care less what star any of these players are…. My biggest question is can coach put the players in roles to bring together a great team? Stars don’t matter when the games starts… so you have rebounders, shooters, a guard that can keep it together under pressure… if Golding gets all 1-star players but can achieve that and win who cares?

One thing I'm counting is a big year for Saterfield. You all can hang me if I'm wrong, but I think he'll be the biggest difference maker as an effective and efficient offensive producer for us.

Well WKU and NMSU are not there, so we have a chance!

If I was Alabama or Mississippi st I would withdraw Scholarship. "Be like we dont have time for this." You gonna decide between us and App State and NC A&T??? Utep , Midd St, and Boise State cant complain. But Bama and Miss st definitely should.

What bothers me is...on August 10th Kevin Kalu announced his commitment to UTEP and there's still nothing on the website. Also, although apparently Keeza Giffa has finally arrived from France, nothing on that either. For as long as I can remember seems there is always this mystery involving such happenings.

What bothers me is...on August 10th Kevin Kalu announced his commitment to UTEP and there's still nothing on the website. Also, although apparently Keeza Giffa has finally arrived from France, nothing on that either. For as long as I can remember seems there is always this mystery involving such happenings.
Giffa is on the roster. No KK though

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT