ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

Really anxious to see who of our new bigs will be on the floor. I don't know enough to see the differences between Bonke, Sibley, Kalu or even Onyema.

From this morning’s UTEP email blast:

UTEP Men’s Basketball Head Coach Joe Golding announced the signing of Kevin Kalu on Thursday. Kalu is a 6-foot-9 big man from Baltimore, Md., and will be immediately eligible beginning in the 2021-22 season as a true freshman.

Kalu was named the BCL Defensive Player of the Year, and according to Prep Hoops, “was a guaranteed double-double every time he took the floor.” Following his shortened senior season due to COVID restricting the schedule, Kalu competed in the summer with AAU’s Team Melo 17U, the Elite Youth Basketball League team sponsored by Carmelo Anthony.

From this morning’s UTEP email blast:

UTEP Men’s Basketball Head Coach Joe Golding announced the signing of Kevin Kalu on Thursday. Kalu is a 6-foot-9 big man from Baltimore, Md., and will be immediately eligible beginning in the 2021-22 season as a true freshman.

Kalu was named the BCL Defensive Player of the Year, and according to Prep Hoops, “was a guaranteed double-double every time he took the floor.” Following his shortened senior season due to COVID restricting the schedule, Kalu competed in the summer with AAU’s Team Melo 17U, the Elite Youth Basketball League team sponsored by Carmelo Anthony.
He played in a very underrated but highly talented and competitive catholic school league in Baltimore and from what I read he was a rim hog on offense and defense. Down side never mentioned, his mid range game.

Reactions: MistaBinks
50 starts for an ncaa caliber team and solid defender. I think we can use him.
Why did he play only 3 games last year, score 11 points and vanish? It looks to me like Coach Joe wasted his last remaining scholarship. Hope I'm wrong. Where does he play; 3 or 4? Not a scorer or rebounder. Maybe a good defender?

Why did he play only 3 games last year, score 11 points and vanish? It looks to me like Coach Joe wasted his last remaining scholarship. Hope I'm wrong. Where does he play; 3 or 4? Not a scorer or rebounder. Maybe a good defender?

And what took him so long to decide?? Idk where he fits on this team.

I guess your boy will be buried in the bench now. I dont see how he gets any playing time now.

"With several JC transfers and others beginning to make headway for minutes for Oregon State this season, it became clear that Hollins’ minutes would diminish. Hollins averaged 18.1 minutes a game during his first three years at OSU"

Oregon State senior Alfred Hollins leaves men’s basketball program, plans to enter transfer portal

Remember, Oregon State was no slouch. Elite 8. I’m sure minutes were hard to come by. Considering that Ethan Thompson took up 35+ minutes a game, and the bigs took up another 40, that didn’t leave many. Hopefully he can help us out. I’ll reserve my judgement for later.

I should keep my big stupid mouth shut. I do not want to bash anything that our beloved new coach does. He has my 100% support and I won't question anything at this point. Let him do his thing.
Go Miners!

Based on the numbers, he sounds like a filler with experience for this season, but who knows. Maybe he is a good defender. Its too late really for anything else. He doesn't take a scholarship away for next year which is good.
Exactly, he's here to help out this year and that's it, next year his scholie will go to another player.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
My recruiting grade for Golding has changed. I think in the start I've gave him like a D-. Now I think it's a A-. It's a good mixture of recruits he showed he can recruit anywhere. Heck even got a player from France. I'm sure his assistants helped but he did good. And Utep only lost Bryson Williams. I think Utep did a nice trade from players leaving and the players he replaced them with. I except Boum to take a huge step this year. Now that Bryson is not here I think guards will be able to play more freely .

My recruiting grade for Golding has changed. I think in the start I've gave him like a D-. Now I think it's a A-. It's a good mixture of recruits he showed he can recruit anywhere. Heck even got a player from France. I'm sure his assistants helped but he did good. And Utep only lost Bryson Williams. I think Utep did a nice trade from players leaving and the players he replaced them with. I except Boum to take a huge step this year. Now that Bryson is not here I think guards will be able to play more freely .
Where do you expect the scoring to come from after Souley? Bryson was the only other scorer and he needs to be replaced. Can't win with defense alone. Even with Souley and Bryson we were enimic on offense

Reactions: USAFminersfan
Where do you expect the scoring to come from after Souley? Bryson was the only other scorer and he needs to be replaced. Can't win with defense alone. Even with Souley and Bryson we were enimic on offense

Bryson was being forced fed and took away from others. To me it looked like Bryson didn't try as much against lower competition. But when they played Kansas we saw the real Bryson. But now that he is not here I think one of the returning guards will pick up the slack. But except Boum to average no less than 20. Ever since his Freshman year at USF his scoring avg went up the following season.

Bryson was being forced fed and took away from others. To me it looked like Bryson didn't try as much against lower competition. But when they played Kansas we saw the real Bryson. But now that he is not here I think one of the returning guards will pick up the slack. But except Boum to average no less than 20. Ever since his Freshman year at USF his scoring avg went up the following season.
BW did play inspired against Kansas especially in the first half. He took advantage of Kansas not double teaming him, and having McCormick guarding him. In the second half, McCormick took advantage of both Williams and Verhoeven defensively.

In any event, this year's team is going to need some type of interior scoring threat. It will be tough to win consistently relying only on perimeter scoring. Bieniemy, Agnew, and Kennedy need to shoot much better than they did last year if we are going to have more success, but we also need to find some inside scoring to replace Williams. Golding mentioned this prior to signing Kalu and Hollins, so it will be interesting how he addresses this area.

Last edited:
Terry's offense was uninspired and staid, don't know really know what some of these players can do scoring wise in a new system. If I had a guess, some players are going be more effectively utilized. Kennedy for example is not a big offensive threat but he can rebound and can get up and down the court. Golding may find a use for his skill set. Never thought Terry matched skills to players effectively everybody played tentative even Williams at times, I hope Golding will change that.

AGAIN I ASK!!!!!
FROM WHERE DOES THE SCORING COME?
CAN'T SEE ANY RETURNEES EMERGING FROM THE ABYSS. HAS TO BE A NEWBIE.

AGAIN I ASK!!!!!
FROM WHERE DOES THE SCORING COME?
CAN'T SEE ANY RETURNEES EMERGING FROM THE ABYSS. HAS TO BE A NEWBIE.
I think we have been over this, I can see Agnew, Sibley and Satterfield picking up the slack scoring. I think Kennedy will pick up the pace too (hopefully from mid range and attacking the rim more). JB will have a few big scoring games scattered in too.

Reactions: MinerManiac
How about the Georgetown transfer. Can he score?
Sibley is the GT transfer. I am wondering that as well.. Agnew has non-stop energy and plays high degree "D", but hasn't shown he can shoot it at all. That leaves Saterfield.

We really have little to no offense, outside of boum. Offensively, BW really was one of the better players we’ve seen at UTEP. Without him, our ppg would have been horrible the last two years...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT