ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

I agree. Note, the one time transfer exception was already in place for most non-revenue sports, so this is not newly written NCAA regulation. The NCAA, who we know picks and chooses how and who they impose regulations on, should be consistent across all types of sports in my opinion. Then again, the entire concept of the NCAA is a conflict of interest in terms of revenue generation and legitimate regulation.
The chancellors of P5 make the rules for (revenue generating) sports.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...new-division-i-model-giving-power-5-autonomy/

NCAA adopts new Division I model giving Power 5 autonomy

As expected Thursday, the NCAA Division I Board of Directors passed a new model giving the five major conferences authority to create some of their own legislation and voting rights for athletes.

By a 16-2 vote, the NCAA adopted the Division I model released to its members last month. Division I board chairman Nathan Hatch, president at Wake Forest, said the vote “marks a significant step into a brighter future for Division I athletics.”

What does all of this mean? Some questions and (attempted) answers:

Q: What does “autonomy” mean for the Power 5 conferences and why is it happening?

It lets the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 and Big 12 create their own rules — other conferences can adopt them, too, if they want — in certain areas to benefit college athletes. Leaders of the major conferences say they have the resources to provide more to athletes and have tried for years but get blocked by smaller schools. External pressure by lawsuits and Congress has also forced the issue.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Butttttt, his coach, Rodney Terry, did leave.

He doesn’t have to win the conference tournament to get into the NCAA tournament now, he can finish in 7th place and get in.

Maybe his goal is playing in the NCAA. That’s a lot easier at Xavier than it is at UTEP.

And he transferred here from another school. It’s okay for UTEP to take transfers, but we shit on them for leaving? We’re you opposed to his enrollment here? His coach didn’t leave USF to give him one of your “excuses”.
Terry left and he stayed here. Why leave now? I would have understood more if he left when Terry did.

Maybe his goal is to make a living playing ball? Check out his twitter handle. He MIGHT want more recognition playing out east so he can try to make more money, but that's a guess.

I never said I was all for us taking in transfers, did I? When Boum came here, I wondered why. That was a long time ago before this got so ridiculous.

One time transfer limit should be implemented. Hell, Jordan Lathon is headed to his 4th school in 4 years!

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Just last week: NCAA will be a governmental body with private corporate type administration.

"What if the transfer portal was open to players for just three months out of the year? And what if the recruiting calendar featured no evaluation or quiet periods?

There is a distinct possibility these ideas could become more than just concepts.
The Transformation Committee, a group of high-ranking college leaders charged with overhauling and modernizing NCAA governance, is considering revolutionary changes some administrators describe as “radical.” In a briefing with athletic administrators this week in Dallas, committee leaders revealed ideas to deregulate longtime NCAA bylaws and decentralize such decisions to the conferences.

“It’s going to make some heads explode,” says one athletic director."

https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/27/ncaa-new-transformation-committee-changes

It lets the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 and Big 12 create their own rules — other conferences can adopt them, too, if they want — in certain areas to benefit college athletes. Leaders of the major conferences say they have the resources to provide more to athletes and have tried for years but get blocked by smaller schools. External pressure by lawsuits and Congress has also forced the issue.
🤣🤣🤣

Terry left and he stayed here. Why leave now? I would have understood more if he left when Terry did.

Maybe his goal is to make a living playing ball? Check out his twitter handle. He MIGHT want more recognition playing out east so he can try to make more money, but that's a guess.

I never said I was all for us taking in transfers, did I? When Boum came here, I wondered why. That was a long time ago before this got so ridiculous.

One time transfer limit should be implemented. Hell, Jordan Lathon is headed to his 4th school in 4 years!
He gave Golding a shot at least. Don’t see the point of wishing him ill will. It’s just basketball.

If Souley was your son, you would be all for it. Same with Jordan too.

If you liked an applicant, you would hire them if they were working for their 4th bar in 4 years.

It’s funny how some of you, hold these young guys to higher standards because it’s “YOUR” college basketball team.

If UTEP were winning and consistently making the NCAAs(like NMSU), nobody would have a problem with this.

NMSU already has their scholarships filled for next year. And they have had a coach for 6 weeks. Golding, isn’t really close and he’s been here a full year.

Reactions: develman
I agree. Note, the one time transfer exception was already in place for most non-revenue sports, so this is not newly written NCAA regulation. The NCAA, who we know picks and chooses how and who they impose regulations on, should be consistent across all types of sports in my opinion. Then again, the entire concept of the NCAA is a conflict of interest in terms of revenue generation and legitimate regulation.
Yep. And the scales are tilting more and more in the favor of the haves, while the have nots are constantly having to adapt to an endless changing environment where the shit piles just keep getting bigger. In the interest of their own survival, the NCAA started blatantly catering to the P5s as the P5 cartel threatened to leave to form its own entity without NCAA involvement. Whether or not that could actually happen is up for debate. As it stands now, there is a compromise and this is the direction we appear to be headed. Below is a quote from a recent SI article.

"College sports’s richest leagues want to keep more revenue, spend more of that money in ways they currently cannot because of legislation and engineer their schools to participate and qualify in more championship events.

Many administrators fear oncoming threats from the rich and powerful, such as creating a fourth subdivision of schools and deregulating legislation that could further widen the gap in D-I, eliminating automatic qualifiers to championships and overhauling a revenue distribution model that keeps some smaller schools afloat."

Two of the NCAA Transformation Committee members are P5 commissioners. Wonder how long it will take before all P5 commissioners are on the committee???

He gave Golding a shot at least. Don’t see the point of wishing him ill will. It’s just basketball.

If you liked an applicant, you would hire them if they were working for their 4th bar in 4 years.

It’s funny how some of you, hold these young guys to higher standards because it’s “YOUR” college basketball team.

If UTEP were winning and consistently making the NCAAs(like NMSU), nobody would have a problem with this.

NMSU already has their scholarships filled for next year. And they have had a coach for 6 weeks. Golding, isn’t really close and he’s been here a full year.
Some of us look beyond our team, and towards the degradation of the whole. College basketball sucks now. Its a mess. It's unsustainable. Someone else mentioned that college athletes are not professionals, but are amateurs provided with an opportunity to get an education AND play the sport they love. So the comparison you make with bar employees to student/athletes is apples to oranges. "Your" team is not even "your" team from year to year due to all the changes. In the name of "being fair" to student athletes, are you really on board with the transformation college sports is taking?

You make some good points, but saying "nobody" would have a problem with this if UTEP were winning and constantly making the NCAA is wrong. I would. A lot of us can see that these changes are killing college basketball (not only UTEP). I love UTEP, but I also love the game and the parity come March.

You are right though about NMSU and their new coach filling their roster. Golding has been a been a dud on the recruiting front.

In the name of "being fair" to student athletes, are you really on board with the transformation college sports is taking?

On board? Um, doesn’t really matter to me. I’m not a coach or AD. Certainly makes their jobs “more difficult”. If paying players and whatever, is the way things are headed, then that’s fine. The players deserve it more than the head coaches.

UTEP football has not and will not ever compete at a high level. The losses continue and the competition keeps getting worse. Why would we expect anything else?

UTEP basketball is now just another team at the school. Very few meaningful wins and the competition keeps getting worse. Safe to say, UTEP will never be competing at a high level again either.

Why would I be upset about that? That’s how it’s been. Not sure why anyone else hasn’t already accepted that.

You make some good points, but saying "nobody" would have a problem with this if UTEP were winning and constantly making the NCAA is wrong. I would. A lot of us can see that these changes are killing college basketball (not only UTEP).

No it’s not.

“2022 NCAA Men’s Final Four Weekend Produces Second and Third Most-Viewed College Basketball Games in Cable TV History

2022 NCAA Men’s Tournament Generates Best Audience Share Since 1994 and Total Viewership Up 13% vs. 2021”

“The 2022 NCAA Men’s Tournament airing across TBS, CBS, TNT and truTV averaged 10.7 million total viewers and a 17.0 share (the percentage of households or viewers who are watching television at that time) for its 67 live game telecasts, both up 13% over last year. The 17.0 share is the best for the entire NCAA Men’s Tournament since 1994.“

Doesn’t look like it’s “killing” anything.

No it’s not.

“2022 NCAA Men’s Final Four Weekend Produces Second and Third Most-Viewed College Basketball Games in Cable TV History

2022 NCAA Men’s Tournament Generates Best Audience Share Since 1994 and Total Viewership Up 13% vs. 2021”

“The 2022 NCAA Men’s Tournament airing across TBS, CBS, TNT and truTV averaged 10.7 million total viewers and a 17.0 share (the percentage of households or viewers who are watching television at that time) for its 67 live game telecasts, both up 13% over last year. The 17.0 share is the best for the entire NCAA Men’s Tournament since 1994.“

Doesn’t look like it’s “killing” anything.
To be fair, how much of that had to do with Duke-UNC's first-ever Tournament matchup as well as Coach K's final games before retirement? There was more to this season's Final Four than usual.

People love super power teams! Look at all the Manchester and Liverpool fans. I see no difference here. Those with the most money will have the best players.

On board? Um, doesn’t really matter to me. I’m not a coach or AD. Certainly makes their jobs “more difficult”. If paying players and whatever, is the way things are headed, then that’s fine. The players deserve it more than the head coaches.

UTEP football has not and will not ever compete at a high level. The losses continue and the competition keeps getting worse. Why would we expect anything else?

UTEP basketball is now just another team at the school. Very few meaningful wins and the competition keeps getting worse. Safe to say, UTEP will never be competing at a high level again either.

Why would I be upset about that? That’s how it’s been. Not sure why anyone else hasn’t already accepted that.
Bullshit!! You are constantly griping about those very things you question why people should be upset by or haven’t accepted.

I’ve been predicting these very things for quite some time now. It doesn’t make it any easier or less frustrating as they actually come to fruition.

Bullshit!! You are constantly griping about those very things you question why people should be upset by or haven’t accepted.

I’ve been predicting these very things for quite some time now. It doesn’t make it any easier or less frustrating as they actually come to fruition.
What specifically have I griped about the transfer portal?

What specifically have I griped about the transfer portal?
You gripe about the mediocrity and decline of utep basketball, which if you haven’t noticed, can be indirectly at the very least, and perhaps even directly related to the transfer epidemic.

There’s minimal continuity. A team like UTEP needs one of two things, player continuity to build on from year to year or the luck of striking it rich once every blue moon.

The latter hasn’t worked out all that well for an often loaded WKU team.

You know what I’ve accepted? That it is only gonna get worse for us. You know what I haven’t accepted? How much it sucks ass as a fan of a lowly mid major program.

So does anyone know how much money Utep has to spend on players?? I'm guessing UTEP doesn't have much.

How much it sucks ass as a fan of a lowly mid major program.
I'll agree with you on this. But the other stuff was going to happen sooner or later. I don't think it's done, eventually "student-athletes" will be paid by the school and sign contracts, instead of the year-to-year scholarship.

As far as the one-time transfer rule I think it seems worse than it will be in the long run due to covid and kids gaining a year of eligibility and being free to transfer in 2020 plus the one-time transfer year, essentially giving everyone two years of transferring without having to sit out a year has made seem worse than it will be.

I commend everyone on here, even the people I disagree with because at the very least it shows we care about UTEP in some way or another. But it can and does "suck ass" sometimes.

So does anyone know how much money Utep has to spend on players?? I'm guessing UTEP doesn't have much.
That’d be my guess too. Even though it’s not UTEP $$$ that matters, but rather the $$$ of those associated with UTEP. Still…

They don’t have any formal NIL consortium in place. Something may be in place in the coming months but we are behind the game. The price for a player like dae dae grant was $60k. That is a big reason utep is missing out on these guys

They don’t have any formal NIL consortium in place. Something may be in place in the coming months but we are behind the game. The price for a player like dae dae grant was $60k. That is a big reason utep is missing out on these guys

$60k a year? How much are scholarships? Is that $60k + scholarship?

I have heard the same regarding UTEP and the NIL collective. The link below tracks the schools and their respective collectives. Like you mentioned, we are again behind the game.

I have heard the same regarding UTEP and the NIL collective. The link below tracks the schools and their respective collectives. Like you mentioned, we are again behind the game.

Yes it’s embarrassing that we are always so far behind and late to adopt.

How much did Sessoms get at Coppin St?
I am not sure. I only know about grant. I would assume the same thing happened with sessoms and newton. It’s probably too late for this years recruiting cycle unless they can gather at least $250k, but something needs to get put in place so that utep can be more competitive next year.

In the hindsight, would you have preferred all of these guys to transfer last year? I would have. We had so much hope that the team would continue to build after the way they finished last year. I would have rather had a full rebuild last year.

Hell, maybe it still wouldn't have mattered and we would still have had a brand new roster either way again next year considering the way college basketball is these days.

I can't agree more. There are schools at UTEP's level that already have these collectives in place. Again, this speaks volumes of the leadership at UTEP. Makes things really tough on a coach with such a competetive disadvantage.
Yep. Always seem to be a few steps behind pace. Leadership at UTEP can’t seem to get it’s shit together. Ever.

Are there no businesses in EP that would contribute to a collective?? Is there anybody at UTEP designated to work on this? No wonder our recruiting has been so plain. I didn't think we were running on empty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT